Monday, November 18, 2013

Alex Lifeson talks Clockwork Angels Tour, Rock Hall ballot, Rush's future and more in new Billboard interview
12:16PM EST | comments (19) |

Alex Lifeson was recently interviewed for Billboard magazine and talks about a number of subjects including the band's Clockwork Angels Tour concert film which gets a theatrical premiere tonight and releases on CD/DVD/Blu-ray tomorrow. Here's Alex on Rush's future plans:

... "We've committed to taking about a year off," ... "We all agreed when we finished this ('Clockwork Angels') tour (in early August) we were going to take this time off and we weren't going to talk about band stuff or make any plans. We committed to a year, so that's going to take us through to the end of next summer, for sure. That's the minimum. We haven't stopped or quit. Right now we're just relaxing. We're taking it easy and just enjoying our current employment." ... Lifeson acknowledges that he and ... Geddy ... "typically get a little bored, and so we enjoy writing and working together and I wouldn't doubt that some time in the new year we'll probably gravitate towards each other and start doing some writing. It's going to be interesting to see where we do go next. You know, the album is dying as a format. We're so used to it and we're so old school in that format, but will we get more mileage by doing a few new songs at a time, or do we do another album? It's hard to say what the future holds, and it's just changing so rapidly. It's always hard to speculate where you're going to go." ...

Alex also reveals who has his vote for the 2014 Rock Hall induction:

... "I put my votes in," says Lifeson, whose impromptu "blah, blah, blah" speech was a highlight of the 2012 induction ceremony. "Certainly with Deep Purple and Yes and Nirvana, I think they're all candidates, and I think Kiss deserves to be in there, too. We have lots of great memories of working together with them, and I think they've been influential and worked for a very long time and worked very hard. I think for all the indifference we had before, actually going through it and feeling the love in the room and the sense of community we felt with all the other musicians that are in there, it's a good thing provided it's inclusive and it's broad." ...

You can read the entire interview on Billboard.com here.

Related Posts:
[Alex Lifeson talks Clockwork Angels Tour video in new Planet Rock interview]
[Alex Lifeson talks Clockwork Angels Tour video in new BBC interview]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour streaming video preview from Radio.com now available]
[Pandora Premieres streaming the COMPLETE audio from Rush's Clockwork Angels Tour]
[Geddy Lee talks baseball, Clockwork Angels Tour film in new interview]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour preview from Radio.com this Thursday]
[VH1 posts Clockwork Angels Tour full 8-song audio preview and new Geddy Lee interview]
[Preview of Rush's Family Goy parody from the Clockwork Angels Tour DVD/Blu-ray]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour video 2112 preview clip]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour limited edition deluxe package]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour theatrical release November 18th]
[Geddy Lee talks Clockwork Angels Tour CD/DVD/Blu-ray in new VH1 interview]
[Video premiere of The Garden from Rush's Clockwork Angels Tour CD/DVD/Blu-ray]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour CD/DVD/Blu-ray OFFICIAL trailer released]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour CD now available for pre-order]
[Geddy Lee talks Clockwork Angels Tour video, Vapor Trails Remixed in new Rolling Stone interview]
[Rush Clockwork Angels Tour CD/DVD/Blu-ray to release November 19th, now available for pre-order]

Comments

#19 - Posted 11/20/13 @1:06PM by What-A-Rush

Good to hear, but NOT surprised, to see Alex give a nod to Kiss for the Rock Hall induction. Personally, I think Geddy AND Neil will vote for them as well. Kudos gentlemen!
#18 - Posted 11/19/13 @7:22AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Cool Jim!Hope you have a blast. Nobody else is on this thread anymore anyways...everyone is at the top recollecting their CA "theater" experiences.Seems like about 75 to 80% had terrible experiences which really sucks!
#17 - Posted 11/18/13 @11:40PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I know this is a Rush site so don't be haters.

Jupe.

The Tubes are playing January 10th at the Snoqualmie Casino which is about 45 minutes from where I live, my wife and I are so there. Laters
#16 - Posted 11/18/13 @11:17PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I think he is still drumming with them.
#15 - Posted 11/18/13 @11:14PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am 53, your a youngster. Yeah would love to see the Tubes at a local haunt. I don't know if Prairie Prince is still drumming for them though, he is great.
#14 - Posted 11/18/13 @11:02PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Fee Waybill is 63 or 64 now I think, hard to imagine...but it's hard to believe that Ged,Alex and Neil are all in their 60's! But then again I can't believe I'm 47!! In my walnut sized brain I'm still 20.
#13 - Posted 11/18/13 @10:29PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Hey Jupe,

Yeah I saw the Tubes back up David Bowie in about '84 after Inside/Outside and it was awesome. What a great stage show. I was laughing and movin and a groovin.
#12 - Posted 11/18/13 @10:12PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Hey Jim, my older brother took me to see The Tubes when I was 15 after The Completion Backward Principle came out, then again after InsideOutside. The Tubes were a great live act! Remote Control is a killer album like you guys already said. Turn Me On cranked on a good system or headphones is awesome, and TV Is King too. If I could only go back to those days.
#11 - Posted 11/18/13 @5:18PM by aboyalone [contact]

Yeah guess I'm old school too. Maybe just old. But I still enjoy the full album/CD experience myself. I like album artwork, liner notes, something physical to purchase rather than just a downloaded song.
#10 - Posted 11/18/13 @4:42PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Remote Control is a killer lp. Love it and the story is funny as hell. TV is King!!!

Rush FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Rock's Greatest Power Trio