Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Clockwork Angels: The Novel released, new interview with author Kevin J. Anderson
5:01PM EST | comments (54) |

UPDATE - 9/4@6:54PM: ECW Press just announced that they have hidden 10 Golden Tickets inside copies of Clockwork Angels: The Novel (thanks ReddyLee):

The hunt is on, Clockwork Angels: The Novel fans! We've hidden ten Golden Tickets inside copies of Clockwork Angels: The Novel and distributed them around the world. Each lucky finder will be able to redeem their ticket for an 8-volume Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart library. Happy hunting!

----- snip -----

Clockwork Angels bookKevin J. Anderson's Clockwork Angels: The Novel was officially released in the US this past weekend. The 290-page novel is the companion to Rush's Clockwork Angels album and was a collaboration with Neil Peart, who developed the idea for the story. Anderson was recently interviewed by Roadrunner Records to discuss his friendship and collaboration with Neil on the book, along with how Rush's music has inspired and impacted his fiction. Here's what he had to say regarding all the nods to Rush that are contained within the novel:

... Oh, they're all over in there. And it's not just the earlier work-there should be something from every album. I've lived with Rush for most of my life. In a way, my entire career has been focused around Rush, because my very first novel, Resurrection, Inc., was inspired by Grace Under Pressure. And that's how I got to know Neil. I can't even count how many stories or chapters or scenes in other novels have been inspired by Rush songs or Rush albums. So I know these lyrics like they're part of me, and as I was writing they just kept popping into my mind, obvious places to slide things that I knew from albums. But they were natural. I hope they don't stick out like a sore thumb. If you're not super-familiar with Rush, you won't notice that this was an awkwardly inserted phrase to add a nod to a Rush lyric. So there's constant ones in there, even subtle ones that I don't think people will spot, like when the Watchmaker is fixing one of the mechanical parts of the Clockwork Angels and he says "Animate," there's a Rush song called "Animate." It's just a word, but I know I used that word because it was from Rush. This is a project that I've been either unconsciously practicing for all my life, and just came out in the right place. I'm not some writer who came in, listened to a couple of Rush albums and wrote the book.

To read the entire interview go here. You can order the audiobook version of Clockwork Angels (narrated by Neil Peart) at this location, and the hardcover edition here. Anderson will be attending several Clockwork Angels book signings and fan conventions over the coming weeks. For a complete list check out this post at Anderson's blog.

Related Posts:
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel Toronto world premiere book launch report and photos]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel world premiere book launch tonight]
[Kevin J. Anderson talks Clockwork Angels: The Novel in new SciFi Pulse interview]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel world premiere book launch]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel preview booklet free pdf download]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel highlights posted at The Lofty Oaks]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel special signed and numbered editions on sale now]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel special signed and numbered editions on sale this Friday]
[Clockwork Angels novel sampler booklet giveaway]
[Clockwork Angels audiobook narrated by Neil Peart]
[Clockwork Angels novel sampler booklet at Book Expo America]
[Clockwork Angels: The Novel official press release]
[Clockwork Angels novelization cover art now available]
[Clockwork Angels novelization by Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart now available for pre-order]
[Kevin J. Anderson's novelization of Rush's Clockwork Angels album due out this Fall from ECW Press]
[Author Kevin J. Anderson to write novelization of Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album]

Comments

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54 - Posted 9/12/12 @12:37AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Misspelling Pompeei would make me about how far off agaiin, from that rabid bone.

#53 - Posted 9/11/12 @11:07PM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

the hunt is on
hunta virus in winner winner chickn dinner on the heads of the innocents

i had the veggie lasagna

#52 - Posted 9/8/12 @2:47PM by UnstableCondition

#35 - Flimbo - ha! You one funny feller. keep em coming! I was thinking something similar... "First prize, an 8-volume set of their books; second prize, a 16-volume set!"

Bah dum bum... Tsh!

Neil's books are actually pretty good in my opinion...
#51 - Posted 9/5/12 @10:31PM by CraigJ [contact]

#49 Chicken dinner?
#50 - Posted 9/5/12 @9:45PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

...And if you have a seat for the CwA tour, you'd realize your a winner too...
#49 - Posted 9/5/12 @9:25PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

I won ! MF'n RIAB fans !!
#48 - Posted 9/5/12 @9:21PM by CraigJ [contact]

It's easy to grin
When your ship comes in
And you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile,
Is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.
#47 - Posted 9/5/12 @9:08PM by ctbadger [contact]

#32...I guess all I can say to your ditch digger comment is..."How about a Fresca?"

I agree, it is what it is, and whatever. I guess I expected more from the sampler and I was honestly surprised at the simplicity of the prose. Given that I have never read Anderson's works I didn't have any concept of his writing style.

And I'm sorry everyone, the lyric references seemed forced. I don't recall specifically but he referred to the smoke of the moving steamliner as being like "the breath of a sleeping white dragon". The lyric, of course, referred the the MOTIONLESS space shuttle and he applied it to the MOVING steamliner. Since when does a sleeping dragon hurtle along at however many miles an hour? The reference doesn't make sense in context and I was annoyed when I read it.

OK, so call me highbrow or whatever, I don't care. I will still read it to gain better context on the album but I think Anderson did himself a disservice by acting too much like a fanboy and not enough like a novelist, at least from what I read.

For what it's worth, that's my $0.02. And no, I really don't know why this bothers me so much! I'd much rather be discussing the setlist...
#46 - Posted 9/5/12 @4:14PM by Tralfadore [contact]