Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rush Clockwork Angels, 2012 tour rumor update
4:33PM EST | comments (53) |

Clockwork AngelsRush finished up recording their upcoming Clockwork Angels album late last year and are currently in the process of mixing the album as described by Neil Peart in his most recent news update at NeilPeart.net:

... While Alex and Geddy were finishing the writing and arranging in one smaller room of the studio, over in the big room I was working with The Mighty Booujzhe, recording my drum parts. As we prepare to start mixing in the New Year, it is too early to say anything about the results. (I once described mixing as "the end of waiting," while Geddy calls it, "the death of hope.") About the process, though, I can't resist spilling a little. ...

It looks as if the band is working on the mixing in Los Angeles as several Twitter users have reported spotting the band there recently. In interviews over the last year or so the band has consistently mentioned that they were shooting for a Spring release for the album with a tour to follow. Alex Lifeson said as much in his Planet Rock interview back in November along with saying that the band hopes to be out on tour in May or June. Since before the Holidays the band has not given any new interviews, so we've been relying solely on rumors for information ever since. In my latest Friday updates post I relayed the latest credible rumors I had heard regarding both the album and tour. These rumors came from a source close to their record label and jibed with what the band had been saying up until late last year; namely that they are aiming to release Clockwork Angels in late April and kick-off the tour shortly after in May/June. But it turns out that this information may have been a little outdated. In just the past few days I'd heard that in the last month or so the band's plans have switched direction and they have now pushed the tour to September. Indeed, Rush Forum member yyzyy had reported late last month that he ran into Rush lighting director Howard Ungerleider at a Trans-siberian Orchestra show and was told by him that the tour would start in September. I didn't put much stock in that report until just recently when this was corroborated by another source who let me know that up until last month the band had been on track for a May/June tour start, but then abruptly changed plans and will instead tour in the Fall. I haven't heard anything regarding the reasoning behind this decision or whether it would affect the release of the album, but there you have it. As always with rumors, take this all with a big grain of salt. My policy is and always has been to report any credible rumor I hear and let my readers make of it what they will. Hopefully we'll get some official information from interviews or a press release in the near future. More as I learn it.

Related Posts:
[Geddy Lee talks Moog Taurus pedals in new in-studio interview]
[Geddy Lee talks Clockwork Angels in new Classic Rock interview]
[Rush's Clockwork Angels album/tour most-anticipated of 2012]
[Rush wraps up Clockwork Angels recording]
[Alex Lifeson talks Clockwork Angels in new Guitar World interview]
[Guitar World readers vote Rush's Clockwork Angels as the most anticipated album of 2012]
[New Billboard interview with Geddy Lee]
[Alex Lifeson Planet Rock interview now online]
[Rush Clockwork Angels feature in latest issue of Rolling Stone]
[Clockwork Angels update: writing completed, recording underway]
[Alex Lifeson Humble and Fred podcast interview now online]
[Geddy Lee talks Clockwork Angels, 2012 tour in new Rolling Stone interview]

Comments

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
#53 - Posted 1/28/12 @11:59PM by woodyj [contact]

I bet part of the decision to nix the summer shows is the oppressive heat at some of the outdoor venues.Two of the last three Atlanta shows we attended were HOT and humid.In 2004 it was about 95 degrees when the show started.Geddy even made several comments about the heat.2007 was also quite hot and muggy.Someone wised up and moved the Time Machine date until the end of September.Playing for 3 hours,3 or 4 nights a week in those conditions wears you down.
#52 - Posted 1/26/12 @7:47PM by nhlrush [contact]

The tour moving to the fall happened way before today's tragic news
#51 - Posted 1/26/12 @7:00PM by redrocksdave [contact]

Living here in Colorado this is horrible for two reasons, unless they start in New Mexico again they wont play Red Rocks and probably will skip Denver altogether. There is no fall/winter venue for them to play here, Pepsi Center holds 20,000 with no curtain to close off parts of the arena. all others are to small and mega-suck compared to RR. I'm using my saved money on VH tickets, probably wont be able to save up again for a while so i'll hope for summer 2013
#50 - Posted 1/26/12 @4:03PM by Toner [contact]

#49 That explains the change of tour plans.............
#49 - Posted 1/26/12 @3:56PM by hermy [contact]

"We're deeply shocked and heartbroken to learn of the sudden passing of our close friend and long-time photographer, Andrew MacNaughtan. He was a sweet person and a very talented artist. Words cannot describe how much he will be missed. - Geddy, Alex & Neil"
#48 - Posted 1/26/12 @3:56PM by random_sample [contact]

#38 - " I just cannot see Geddys vocal range being that high for an entire album".
I just wanted to comment on that. Is it just me who found it very noticeable on Rush's last tour (Time Machine tour) that Geddy seemed to be "straining" to try hit high notes in alot of the songs? I'm just curious if anyone else noticed that. I'm not trying to bash Geddy at all, or even criticize his singing. The only criticism I would have ,would be that I found it very noticable and felt like he was trying TOO hard to sign high, when he would probably be better off just singing in a comfortable range ,considering he is older and his voice has changed since the 70's and 80's. Another thing I noticed ,was in songs where even in the original version, he wasn't screaming, he seemed to be screaming when he performed them on the Time Machine tour.
I'd like to hear other people's comments.
#47 - Posted 1/26/12 @3:53PM by yosef [contact]

#45..lol Anytime for a tour is great as long as they are touring.
#46 - Posted 1/26/12 @3:33PM by Toner [contact]

#44 Middletown Dreams would be awesome.
Neil said in his new DVD that they would never do Jacobs Ladder, just didnt work for them when they rehearsed it so we can forget about that one.
Xanadu maybe, would rather hear Manhattan Project.
Bangkok and Circumstances was done on the S&A tour so forget those.
#45 - Posted 1/26/12 @3:28PM by rocinante5m [contact]

Hopefully this doesn't conflict with the 2 Live Crew Reunion Tour......
#44 - Posted 1/26/12 @1:05PM by The_Righteous_Rise [contact]

middletown dreams, jacobs ladder, xanadu, bangkok, circumstances

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6