Yes' Chris Squire, Coheed and Cambria's Claudio Sanchez comment on Rush's Rock Hall induction in recent interviews

Posted on Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 11:30AM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#67 - Posted 3/22/13 @10:02AM by XelNaga [contact]

I remember Coheed when they were Shabootie (they played at the Woodstock Rec Center). To be honest, maybe the similarity in conceptual pieces is a Rush influence, but I do not see more beyond that.
#66 - Posted 2/13/13 @6:42PM by Liverpool 78

I've seen Yes in a number of forms over the past near 40 years, with Howe, Rabin, Anderson, Wakeman, Korochev, Downes, Horn...

I was never concerned about who was in the group. The gig was Yes and the memebrs of the band at that moment in time making Yesmusic.

A couple of past members have likened Yes to a symphony orchestra where the members come and go. I think that's acceptable.

Having said that my favourite gig was the Going For The One tour with 'the classic' line up however, the Drama Tour with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes was also good, if a short lived affair.

I really enjoyed The Ladder tour. I thought Igor Korochev reproduced Rick Wakeman's keyboard parts better than Rick Wakeman ever did. Not to decry Wick of course.

Liver.
#65 - Posted 2/12/13 @9:04AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I must admit that the idea of Yes performing "The Yes Album," "Close To The Edge" and "Going For The One" back to back does sound intriguing. However, my only questions regarding this are as follows: Is Yes, really Yes, without Jon Anderson's involvement? Would you see Yes in concert without Jon Anderson, or Rick Wakeman for that matter, or would you prefer to see the "Classic Yes" version of Yes together for one last time?
#64 - Posted 2/12/13 @12:20AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

You are very welcome, random_sample. If you like "ABWH" and "An Evening Of Yes Music Plus," i think that you might like "Keys To Ascension," "Keys To Ascension 2" and "Magnification." As far as I am concerned, those are great albums. I cannot say the same thing is true about "Talk" however; in my opinion, that album is absolutely atrocious and should never have been released under the Yes label. It might be okay as a Trevor Rabin solo album, but as a Yes album, it represents the nadir of their output.
#63 - Posted 2/11/13 @10:08AM by random_sample [contact]

#53- Thanks, Enigmaticus. I only saw Yes (well, a version of yes) once in the late 80's , as I referred to. The ABWH concert at Pine Knob ,near Detroit. I would have liked to see Yes, on the 90125 or Big Generator tours, but I didn't.
I'm ambivalent ,on Coheed and Cambria. I remember when I first heard them, though (on 89X, which is a Detroit/Windsor station) they did remind me of Rush. The energy , time signature changes, and "weirdness", I guess. But apparantly, that was a coincidence, according to the guy from the band. I would have thought Rush influenced them. I've only heard a handfull of songs by them.
#62 - Posted 2/10/13 @2:02PM by lisah [contact]

Genesis is my second fave, after Rush, of course. We have most all genesis even from gabriel's era. I do have to say, IMHO, The yellow album with home by the sea & mamma, is my most fave. Seconds Out is terrific, considering it's a live one. Duke,Wind and wuthering also are must havesin my book. Genesis, Rush, Yes, three of the best bands that ever lived, not just in a progressive genre either. Three of the best, period. I saw Genesis 4 times, they were amazing in concert. RIABer's have great taste in music! RUSH ON!
#61 - Posted 2/9/13 @1:20PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

This link is my favorite thread on this blog, thus far.
#60 - Posted 2/9/13 @12:59PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

lisah,

Regarding Supertramp, I had first heard and liked, 'The Logical Song' back in 1979, while watching Solid Gold on television. However, I had not fully started to embrace Supertramp until late 1980, when I had purchased "Paris" on cassette. I have always found John Anthony Helliwell's saxophone to be an integral part of Supertramp's sound.
#59 - Posted 2/9/13 @12:52PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Thanks for the Abacab link, kjbird.

Of course, as far as Genesis is concerned, my favorite Genesis studio albums are the following:

1. Foxtrot
2. Nursery Cryme
3. A Trick Of The Tail
4. Duke
5. Genesis
6. Abacab
7. Invisible Touch
8. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Of course, I also really like, 'Firth Of Fifth,' Dancing With The Moonlit Knight' and 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)' from "Selling England By The Pound." But overall, it is not my favorite album. With the exceptions of 'Back In N.Y.C.' and 'Counting Out Time,' I like everything else on "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway."
#58 - Posted 2/9/13 @11:24AM by kjbird [contact]

#56 - For nostalgia's sake, link I know Genesis is already in, but this was a fav of mine in the early 80's. Good 'ole Abacab.
#57 - Posted 2/9/13 @10:19AM by lisah [contact]

#56, My hubby is a huge Supertramp fan, he has most everything on vinyl, which he treasures. He noticed that before the SanAntonio and Houston CA shows last fall, they played quite a few Supertramp songs at the venues. He has better ears than I do, I can't ever seem to hear the pre-concert music very well. He was quite happy about it, also they played another of his most favorites, Jethro Tull. Someone on the Rush team has great taste in music, but, I think that was already apparent. RUSH ON!!
#56 - Posted 2/9/13 @5:40AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Thank you, kjbird.

I had once owned "The Grand Illusion," "Pieces Of Eight," "Cornerstone," and "Paradise Theater" on vinyl. I also had a copy of "Paradise Theater" and "Killroy Was Here" on cassette tape. My favorite song by Styx is 'Man In The Wilderness' from "The Grand Illusion." I was very impressed with 'One With Everything' from "Cyclorama" also. My favorite albums by Styx are: "The Grand Illusion," "Paradise Theater," "Cyclorama" and "Pieces Of Eight." Styx may have a better chance of getting inducted due to the recent "Behind The Music" and their live concert version of "The Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight."

As far as Supertramp is concerned, my favorite albums are: "Paris," "Breakfast In America," "Crime Of The Century" and "Even In The Quietest Moments." My favorite song from their repertoire is the live version of 'Fool's Overture,' from "Paris." I also enjoy most of the songs on "Breakfast In America" and "Crime Of The Century." Geddy Lee had endorsed Roger Hodgson as a vocalist.

I have always considered Duran Duran to be a pop-oriented "art rock" band. My favorite song of
theirs is 'Ordinary World' from "Duran Duran aka (The Wedding Album) ." I seem to remember a Rush interview from the mid 1980's which had endorsed Duran Duran and other British "new wave" bands. My favorite album by Duran Duran is "Rio," although I did like "Astronaut" also.
#55 - Posted 2/8/13 @10:20PM by michinman [contact]

Hey flimbo buddy. Ur really smart! Can I be your friend?
#54 - Posted 2/8/13 @2:15PM by kjbird [contact]

#47 - i'll bite on this one. A handful that stick out to me are Styx, Supertramp and Duran Duran. Styx; Grand Illusion was my first vinyl my bro purchased, followed up by Paradise Theater. Supertramp; Roger Hodgson vocals, alone, should reserve them a spot in the HoF. Breakfast in America...i can't tell you how many times i played the Logical Song. I wore out the tapedeck on the ghettoblaster with that cassette (what the hell is that? LOL). Duran Duran was one of the bands in the 80's that was a force to be reckoned with,and helped bring some sanity to that decade. My teenage years were in the 80's, and my musical tastes were ALL over the place, which i think is a good thing, but Seven & the Ragged Tiger and Rio were some of my favorite albums.
#53 - Posted 2/8/13 @1:09PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#52, that is a great posting about Yes. I was not fortunate enough to see ABWH in concert, although I have seen Yes three times. I had seen "The Ladder" tour with Igor Khoroshev and Classic Yes in concert back in 2002. My favorite Yes albums are "Keys To Ascension" and "Keys To Ascension 2." I wish that I had been able to attend the San Luis Obispo concerts.

As far as Rush getting in before Yes, I am not surprised. Rush has been more prolific. Many individuals have seen the Rush documentary and the Time Machine Tour. I think that Yes stands a greater chance of being inducted as a result of Rush's induction. Chris Squire is a very classy gentleman.
#52 - Posted 2/8/13 @12:43PM by random_sample [contact]

I've seen some of the comments about Chris Squire and Yes, in this thread. As much as I didn't care if Rush were inducted into the RRHOF ...ever, there does seem to be a "buzz" about it and I guess it's a pretty "big deal" (apparently) , it does seem odd that Rush would get in before Yes. My experience with Yes' music is mostly the 90125 and Big Generator period ,in the 80's. "90125" would still rank among my top 10 favourite albums of all time. I thought Big Generator was awesome, too. I was getting heavily into Rush around the time 90125 came out , which was around the same period as Grace Under Pressure (I was about 13-14 yrs old at the time). The older Yes music , I have heard some of it and although I like some of it, I never really got into it- but I can appreciate the talent and creativity of the band.
My other experience when it comes to Yes, came in the form of the lineup of "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe", the band that formed in the late 80's. I saw them at Pine Knob , in the Detroit area (now called DTE music theater). It was an amazing show. One of the best show I have seen. It was without Chris Squire, though, obviously. Tony Levin was playing bass, I believe.
The whole RRHOF thing is weird, to me. I'm not trying to take away from Rush being inducted. But it must seem a little strange, even to Rush, that they get inducted before some of their heros do (like Yes, etc).
It seems to me, it's kind of like a "popularity contest" or something like the "cool kids" at school ,who either "let" someone into the "cool people" group, or they shun them. Somehow ,Rush has made it into the "cool people" club of the RRHOF, maybe? haha. I know it's a funny analogy to make ,but that's what it makes me think of.
Anyway, Chris Squire is a great bassist/musician and I know he's one of Geddy's favourites. It's nice to see that he had a few nice things to say about Rush, even though it was brief.
#51 - Posted 2/8/13 @11:51AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

When given the opportunity to interact with others; sometimes I would much rather converse with myself. This leads to far more intelligent conversations. At this point, I sincerely doubt that anyone online is capable of having an intelligent conversation, without offending anyone. N'est-ce pas?
#50 - Posted 2/8/13 @9:23AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Wow, how could i have forgotten E.L.O.?

As far as the Electric Light Orchestra is concerned, they might have a greater chance than the others. Jeff Lynne has been fairly visible on VH1 Classic recently and has received praise from Sir Paul McCartney, in addition to other Rock & Roll Hall Of Famers.

Peter Gabriel as a solo artist is also worthy, in addition to Kate Bush.
#49 - Posted 2/8/13 @8:59AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Oops, did I forget Yes? Of course if given the opportunity, I would induct the following 8 members of Yes:

1. Jon Anderson

5. Michael Giles
6. John Wetton
7. Greg Lake
8. Ian McDonald

What do you think?
#48 - Posted 2/8/13 @8:54AM by hazlnut [contact]

@Chris Squire - it's *for whomever*....