Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, April 4, 2014 at 12:41PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#18 - Posted 4/5/14 @10:16PM by jupeguy [contact]

I really like Tai Shan also but Alex and Ged seem to hate it.If they ever play it live I'll eat my tattered old R30 baseball hat!
#17 - Posted 4/5/14 @9:15PM by CraigJ [contact]

#15 as long as I get Tai Shan and Digital Man that's fine.
#16 - Posted 4/5/14 @8:52AM by deslock [contact]

The CA tour already had a lot of b-sides and surprising material. I remember being pleasantly stunned opening night:

- Opened with 7 synth-era songs!
- Where's My Thing!
- 9 new songs in a row, followed by 2 more syth songs!
- 4 songs from Power Windows! (5 played over the tour)
- 3 drum solos!
- Orchestra!
- Only 1 song from the 1970s!
- Only 3 songs total from Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures!

It wasn't until after 21 songs (and 3 drum solos) that we got anything older than Signals.

That was the ballsiest concert I'd ever seen (that they alternated in a 10th song from CA and a 5th from PoW on other nights was icing on the cake).

They're going to have to pull out Fountain of Lamneth, Hemispheres, and Jacob's Ladder next tour if they want to top that.
#15 - Posted 4/5/14 @7:17AM by jupeguy [contact]

Craig. Stick It Out....nah. Put Cut To The Chase in for that one, and replace Heresy with The Big Wheel or Vapor Trail.
#14 - Posted 4/4/14 @8:28PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

Couple points:

My Amazon order for the Spirit of the Airwaves CD was cancelled-any alternate sources?

Not that this would ever, ever happen, but if Rush was to take anyone on tour, I would pick FM, and make them play Black Noise in its entirety-plus get Ben Mink to play on Losing It.
#13 - Posted 4/4/14 @8:13PM by limelighter [contact]

i hope rush doesn't include an opening band this time around when they tour.
but if i had to pick a band because rush wanted one it would have to be PORCUPINE TREE.
PERIOD. THE END.
#12 - Posted 4/4/14 @6:56PM by CraigJ [contact]

bonus points if they play Tai Shan, wearing only Chinese herbal health socks...

super extra bonus if they change all the lyrics to the word "blah"
#11 - Posted 4/4/14 @6:23PM by joerock213 [contact]

#10- I like it, but it's really the fact that if they chose to play it they would be saying "we don't care what we should do, we will do whatever the f### we want, here's Tai Shan bam!!!" And I would do the same.

If you raise your hands to heaven, you will live a hundred years!
#10 - Posted 4/4/14 @6:16PM by The_king_will_Neil [contact]

Wow, Joe. You like it that much? That's amazing.

A song of eternity -
#9 - Posted 4/4/14 @5:32PM by joerock213 [contact]

Craig if they play Tai Shan I will get arrested at the show. Not just escorted out by security. Arrested by police.
#8 - Posted 4/4/14 @5:10PM by clockworkingman [contact]

aw screw it, I actually do have some songs I'd really like to hear, so here's my list. Not a setlist, per se, and no particular order, but:

Different Strings: I think this would be a fantastic Geddy/Alex acoustic number after the drum solo
Losing It: One of Rush's finest songs ever.
Ghost of a Chance
Fly By Night
Open Secrets
Driven
Available Light
Countdown
#7 - Posted 4/4/14 @4:58PM by clockworkingman [contact]

Great that we're continuing on with the songs we'd like to hear next tour idea!

I don't have any songs that haven't already been mentioned, but here's one thing, I was listening to a show from the Exit Stage Left tour and man, is 2112 a great opener! If they opened with 2112, that would just nail it for me and I guess it is a possibility, because I remember one of the band saying that with setlists, if they ended with a certain song last tour, they move it to the beginning of the set for the next tour. The placement of Limelight from R30 to Snakes and Arrows is a good example.

Also, I'd be totally into a big medley, like they used to do, as a way of getting some of the older material, pre Moving Pictures, into the set. This would allow them to pick and choose what parts of the song Geddy could sing. This wouldn't bother me at all...I'd rather hear part of Farewell to Kings than none of it!

I was watching the Clockwork Angels DVD last night, and when the Garden came on, the thought that popped into my nicely buzzed mind was 'man, if these guys can keep writing songs like this, I can totally tolerate the fact that Geddy can't sing some of the songs like he used to'. Clockwork Angels is just such a solid album and I think that is the biggest indicator of how vital Rush really are these days.

Alright, enough ranting!
#6 - Posted 4/4/14 @4:52PM by CraigJ [contact]

I'm going with, in no particular order:

Anthem,
In The End,
Bastille Day
Necromancer (edit)
Something for Nothing
Lessons
Cinderella Man
Cygnus x-1 Book II (edit)
Jacob's Ladder
Vital Signs
Chemistry
Digital Man
Kid Gloves
After Image
Red Lenses
Turn the Page
Tai Shan (yes, I mean it)
Scars
Anagram
Heresy
Stick It Out
Limbo
Ghost Rider
Spindrift
The Anarchist

Oh My! No Tom Sawyer, no Spirit of Radio, no 2112, no Working Man. Whatever shall we do?!? The CA set list yoinked off a lot of people - this would cause people's heads to explode.

Yes, yes, we've heard Digital Man a lot. So what? It's my list.
#5 - Posted 4/4/14 @4:06PM by joerock213 [contact]

Jim- There are four songs on your list that they've played in the last few tours so I have to blow the whistle on those.

Also, I'd like Geddy to perform with nothing but a sock on his junk. Not that I want to see that, but I would like to know that he did it.
#4 - Posted 4/4/14 @3:57PM by joerock213 [contact]

#1- Lol, I agree.

I'd like to hear on the next tour:

Here Again
Beneath,Between,Behind
Something for Nothing
The Weapon
New World Man
Losing It
Countdown (Actually I'd like to hear Signals in it's entirety)
Kid Gloves
Prime Mover
Cold Fire
Totem
How It Is
Mr. Soul (Feedback)

What do you think of that?
#3 - Posted 4/4/14 @3:10PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Lerxst's solo in "Once a Warrior" on John Wesley's album is ridiculous! NEED NEW RUSH MUSIC!!!
#2 - Posted 4/4/14 @12:51PM by jiminseattle [contact]

A few songs I'd love to hear on the next tour:

Natural Science
A Farewell to Kings
Marathon
Available Light
Between the Wheels and of course
The Anarchist
#1 - Posted 4/4/14 @12:51PM by driventotheedge [contact]

From first to last I thought this week would never pass