Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:44AM

#31 - Posted 1/8/14 @12:11PM by 1357

SALUTE to *JOHN RUTSEY* and RUSH 1.
#30 - Posted 1/6/14 @1:28PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I live about 1.5 hrs north of Toronto and today we get 1. A blizzard warning 2.Snowsquall warning 3. Windchill warning YAAAAY!! Kids just had 2 weeks off, now they'll get a couple more days off. Cripes when I was a kid we didn't get no time off school and I had to ride the bus....6 miles...up hill...both ways!
#29 - Posted 1/6/14 @11:02AM by simon r

Belated happy new year to all Rushians. Hope you are not snowed in wherever you are. I saw on BBC Chicago is due to be -22 during the day-thought they got Calgary and Chicago temps mixed up as its usually that in Calgary.
Oh well By Tor and the snowdog to the rescue
#28 - Posted 1/5/14 @6:32PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I think ya got me Liver, I messed up.
#27 - Posted 1/5/14 @6:15PM by Liverpool 78

Think you need to go and re-read your favourite lyric there Jim.
#26 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black.
The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that spill over into rage.
The things I've always been denied, a learned promise that somehow dies.
The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage.

Big Surprise from me right.
#25 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:27PM by joerock213 [contact]

Ever think about how incredible "happy solitude" is from Spirit of Radio? That sums it up for an intovert.
#24 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:19PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Two for me off the top of my head. Everyday Glory -Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones who have to fly.

Open Secrets- But there's one thing you could do, You could try to understand me. I could try to understand you...

I know that Neil "steals" a lot of lines from books that he has read but I'm not sure if those 2 I stated are actual Neil lines that he himself has come up with or lines from books.
#23 - Posted 1/5/14 @4:59PM by Runkerry

Fave lyrics make the hairs on my neck stand up:

From Camera Eye, just one line that is almost poetic:
My feet catch the pulse and purposeful stride

And from The Pass:
All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter
Dreamers turn to look at the cars

There are others, but these two get me every time for different reasons.
#22 - Posted 1/5/14 @2:07PM by joerock213 [contact]

Being in those first ten rows really makes a big difference in the concert experience. It was like 04 or 05 when I got a scalped ticket up real close in Columbus. As for time, when I was younger it felt like the concert was happening outside of measurable time like the moment was a place I had been living in for ages. Now, the shows seem to go by so fast. "Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it" ?
#21 - Posted 1/5/14 @12:44PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Hey Joe,

The show that sticks out for me was in '10 I think. White River Ampitheatre for the Time Machine Tour. My wife and I were in about the 10th row on the left side. All I know is I knew the whole set list beforehand but it did not matter. They absolutely kicked ass and it seemed the show was over in 10 minutes. Wow!!!
#20 - Posted 1/5/14 @12:33PM by joerock213 [contact]

All this talk about T4E has made me think about that tour. I had been into Rush for about a year and still hadn't heard much of their catalog. Some impressions I have from that show on June 4, 1997 (actually my second show) as a young impressionable teenage aspiring musician: I remember Dreamline, a song I had not yet heard at that time--the low bass, green lazer lights, Neil's ride cymbal. I remember staring at Geddy, at his every move, his every word "Cincinnatians! Ohioans!" I remember the mix of the crowd young and old characters (perhaps brought out by 2112 in it's entirety) - one in particular an old bald biker with a mustache dressed in black spinning round in the pavilion screaming to the ceiling "Oh yes we know it' nothing new..!!!!" Then there was the anticipation I felt at not knowing what they would play next (I wasn't all into the internet yet). The rest was a blur of images and emotions. Basically, I was completely freaked out in a good way. Anybody else experience this?
#19 - Posted 1/5/14 @12:08PM by joerock213 [contact]

Jim- It's funny, you are like the guys my uncle's age who I meet at the bar before a show saying "Yep, last tour I saw 'em on was Signals". There's a group of fans that left in the early 80's and are now coming back. I jumped on with the T4E tour so it will always have a special place in my heart. For what it's worth, I wish I could have seen those 70's and early 80's shows that you did.
#18 - Posted 1/5/14 @11:28AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Wish I would have seen the T4E tour and Vapor Trails for that matter. I had seen Rush in the mid 70's and early 80's and went away stupidly as it were till the R30 Tour. Since then it has been pure delight. I do not know how they are going to top Clockwork Angels but am sure they will.
#17 - Posted 1/5/14 @9:39AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Jim- Ya I think they only played Test For Echo on that tour and haven't brought it out since. It's like they thought this song would be way more popular with fans than it ended up being.Cold Fire was another,although I think Cold Fire is a great song.But with T4E I don't mind the music, the lyrics are kind of wishy-washy if you ask me.Hey you can't hit a home run every time you're up to bat right? The good thing for me is I can tune out the lyrics and like a song for the music. Dog Years and Virtuality for instance. Virtuality absolutely kicked ass when they played it live at the Molson Amphitheater for the T4E Tour though!
#16 - Posted 1/4/14 @9:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Jupe: Those three are dandies aren't they. I must admit however that I love Test For Echo (not necessarily the lyrics) and they carry it well live,
#15 - Posted 1/4/14 @9:09PM by CraigJ [contact]

I'm going to have to go with Anthem, Something for Nothing, Lessons, Freewill, Spindrift, everything on Subdivisions except Countdown, Territories, and I Think I'm Going Bald.

Having said that, there are all kinds of ways to approach this. Most songs have a message of some sort. Some are obvious (Anthem, Something for Nothing, Lessons, Freewill, etc) some are heavily veiled in prose (The Trees is an example of this) Some paint a picture of a historical event (Countdown, Bastille Day, Manhattan Project) Some are just mystical or poetry (Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, By Tor & the Snow Dog)

It goes on and on. My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives. Data overload........
#14 - Posted 1/4/14 @2:43PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

cell of awareness is my favorite line, and the far too fleet fortune hunt is my favorite of his alliterations.
#13 - Posted 1/4/14 @10:21AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Test For Echo, Dog Years, and Virtuality are Neil's best lyrics by far!
#12 - Posted 1/4/14 @9:28AM by joerock213 [contact]

DUG I commend your choice of time period for lyrics. All of those songs you mention are very direct in what they want to say and appeal emotionally to our humanity. I would add to the songs you mention: "Presto", "War Paint", "Available Light", "Cold Fire".

That all being said, the best album lyrically has to be Signals. It has the total package of commentary, quirkiness, pain and loss, yearning, etc.. The ultimate Rush album.

Then again..sometimes you want to drink a half bottle of schnapps and turn "Need Some Love" up to 11.