Friday, January 3, 2014

Updates and other random Rush stuff
11:44AM EST | comments (31) |

RushThere wasn't much of anything in the Rush news department happening this past week as we rang in the new year, so this first Friday Rush updates post of 2014 is going to be a short one. Unfortunately it looks like things will remain this way for much of the upcoming year. Despite the fact that 2014 will mark the 40th anniversary since the release of Rush's first album back in 1974, the band has indicated that they will not be embarking on any kind of R40 tour and will instead spend most of the year on a break from the band. That said, we've already learned that we'll at least be getting a re-issue of the debut album next year to mark the occasion, and hopefully the band will do something else special to celebrate. Assuming there won't be a tour or new album, how would you like to see the band celebrate its 40th anniversary? Take the poll and let us know.

Geddy Lee made Baseball Nation's list of the Best baseball GIFS of 2013, part VI: the best of the best. The GIF in question is an animated gif of Geddy walking out on the field with the Blue Jays mascot at the Jays' home opener to throw out the first pitch earlier this year. Here's what they have to say about it, and here's the gif image:

... Here's Geddy Lee walking on a baseball field with a gigantic blue jay. I don't know. I like how the mascot gets a little into it, and then Geddy starts getting into it. This GIF kind of bugs me, though, because I spend the next three days saying "OOOOOFFFFF SALESMEN!" under my breath for no good reason. ...

Rush's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction this past April made CTV's list of the top 10 biggest entertainment stories of 2013, coming in at #2.

This past July the Canada Post officially released a Canadian Recording Artist stamp series featuring Rush and other Canadian artists. Back in November the sale of a special, limited edition, signed day-of-issue cover for the Rush stamp was announced via this press release, and all 10 that were available quickly sold out. One of these signed covers has made its way to eBay and is currently up for auction through the weekend.

Virtuoso drummer Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Winery Dogs) was recently interviewed for MusicRadar.com (thanks Kelly M) and spoke a bit about drum solos and Neil Peart:

... One of the things that blew my mind about Rush was the drum solo. It was a centrepiece for their concert. The first time I saw him do one in person, it was one of the only times I've ever seen the whole audience with all eyes on the stage. ... In the '80s and '90s I was more of the Neil Peart type of soloist. I was into the chops and the playing and the spectacle with the huge drum set. I actually stopped doing drum solos in the mid-2000s just because I felt like it was redundant. ...

Donna Halper - the woman widely accredited for discovering Rush and helping them get their start back in 1974 - was recently interviewed for the RadioGirl podcast and spoke a bit about Rush. You can give it a listen online here (thanks RushFanForever). The track that Halper played on Cleveland radio station WMMS back in 1974 that helped launch Rush's career was Working Man. Here's some video of Rush performing the track with John Rutsey at Laura Secord High School in early 1974:

That's all for this first week of 2014. Have a great weekend and Happy New Year everybody!!

Comments

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#31 - Posted 1/8/14 @12:11PM by 1357

SALUTE to *JOHN RUTSEY* and RUSH 1.
#30 - Posted 1/6/14 @1:28PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I live about 1.5 hrs north of Toronto and today we get 1. A blizzard warning 2.Snowsquall warning 3. Windchill warning YAAAAY!! Kids just had 2 weeks off, now they'll get a couple more days off. Cripes when I was a kid we didn't get no time off school and I had to ride the bus....6 miles...up hill...both ways!
#29 - Posted 1/6/14 @11:02AM by simon r

Belated happy new year to all Rushians. Hope you are not snowed in wherever you are. I saw on BBC Chicago is due to be -22 during the day-thought they got Calgary and Chicago temps mixed up as its usually that in Calgary.
Oh well By Tor and the snowdog to the rescue
#28 - Posted 1/5/14 @6:32PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I think ya got me Liver, I messed up.
#27 - Posted 1/5/14 @6:15PM by Liverpool 78

Think you need to go and re-read your favourite lyric there Jim.
#26 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black.
The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that spill over into rage.
The things I've always been denied, a learned promise that somehow dies.
The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage.

Big Surprise from me right.
#25 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:27PM by joerock213 [contact]

Ever think about how incredible "happy solitude" is from Spirit of Radio? That sums it up for an intovert.
#24 - Posted 1/5/14 @5:19PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Two for me off the top of my head. Everyday Glory -Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones who have to fly.

Open Secrets- But there's one thing you could do, You could try to understand me. I could try to understand you...

I know that Neil "steals" a lot of lines from books that he has read but I'm not sure if those 2 I stated are actual Neil lines that he himself has come up with or lines from books.
#23 - Posted 1/5/14 @4:59PM by Runkerry

Fave lyrics make the hairs on my neck stand up:

From Camera Eye, just one line that is almost poetic:
My feet catch the pulse and purposeful stride

And from The Pass:
All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter
Dreamers turn to look at the cars

There are others, but these two get me every time for different reasons.
#22 - Posted 1/5/14 @2:07PM by joerock213 [contact]

Being in those first ten rows really makes a big difference in the concert experience. It was like 04 or 05 when I got a scalped ticket up real close in Columbus. As for time, when I was younger it felt like the concert was happening outside of measurable time like the moment was a place I had been living in for ages. Now, the shows seem to go by so fast. "Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it" ?

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4