Monday, September 30, 2013

Vapor Trails Remixed and Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007 box set released today
6:48AM EST | comments (120) |

It's finally here! Today Rush releases their long-awaited remix/remaster of Vapor Trails along with a Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007 box set. Friday morning RollingStone.com posted a FULL preview of the album which you can listen to at this location. European reader RushFanBen already received his copies of the CD and box set on Friday and sent along some scans of the packaging for us which you can check out in this post. Geddy Lee had the following to say regarding the remix in a Rolling Stone interview from earlier this week:

... it was hard to get people onboard. "Why are you obsessing over this one record? You have 20 records. Why the fuck do you care about this one record?" I just felt it was so pivotal that the songs required some justice. We gave it one last kick of the can, and Andy from our management suggested that David Bottrill have a go at it. I thought it was kind of strange/full circle that the guy we almost used in the first place is trying to save it. We were on tour and Neil didn't want to have too much to do with it. The album has a lot of very painful memories for him. We said, "Don't worry. We're going to let David just follow his instincts and he'll do it while we're touring." David just got the record right away and started sending us mixes. Of course, we'd have comments here or there, but generally he understood what it should sound like. So, I'm very pleased with the end result. I think he's finally brought some completion and some justice to some of those songs we'd put so much of our heart and soul into.

For my latest poll I'm asking everyone which song from Vapor Trails they think benefited the most from the remix? Please take the poll and let us know if you haven't already. You can order the Vapor Trails remix on CD or on 180g vinyl, and order the Atlantic-era The Studio Albums 1989-2007 box set here.

Related Posts:
[Photos of the Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007 box set and Vapor Trails Remixed, full album preview at RollingStone.com]
[Rush Vapor Trails Remixed higher quality, 30-second sample clips]
[Geddy Lee talks Clockwork Angels Tour video, Vapor Trails Remixed in new Rolling Stone interview]
[Alex Lifeson discusses Vapor Trails Remixed in new Classic Rock interview]
[Rush Vapor Trails Remixed 30-second sample clips now available]
[Long-awaited Vapor Trails remix coming October 1st, now available for pre-order]

Comments

Page 1 of 12 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
#120 - Posted 10/11/13 @7:54AM by freewilly [contact]

I'm still waiting for my copy but can anyone tell if you encounter a problem with your pressing of this CD?
One Canadian and one UK reviewer mention similar problems I think:

Thanks in advance
#119 - Posted 10/9/13 @8:01AM by freewilly [contact]

PS, Hmm I think I misunderstood, the person probably meant the mix-channel of the specific Ride Cymbal-mic wasn't used, or too little. Anyway, your thoughts are welcome.
#118 - Posted 10/9/13 @3:51AM by freewilly [contact]

"about someone" should have been "from someone" (sorry)
#117 - Posted 10/9/13 @3:37AM by freewilly [contact]

I just read a comment on Amazon.com about someone who misses the Ride cymbal... I'll paste it here plus my reply and would be happy if anyone comments, thanks.

----------------------------------------
They took out the Ride Cymbal, October 8, 2013
By theseer2
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
No or hardly any Ride Cymbal on EVERY song. Sure it a remix, but they forgot to add the mic that was on the Ride. That's like taking a string off the guitar. PURE IDIOCY!

My reply was:
I'm sorry you are seriously disappointed, and I know little of drums or recording, but "forgot to add the mic that was on the Ride" would have happened with the original recording I assume. Since this was not a re-recording, only remix with added originally recorded parts. But you suggest the Ride cymbal was (more) audible on the original VT? Assuming you're right about it's diminishing now, it can only be a choice/fault of the new mix? I'm still waiting for my CD so don't have a comparison yet...
Please comment, anyone (drummers and engineers?)
Cheers
#116 - Posted 10/8/13 @9:24PM by Mr. K

Judging by the comments I've read, I'm guessing I'll be in the minority on this.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the remix... I guess iI was expecting to have the tracks cleaned up a bit, and lose some of what I will call the extra "noise" on some of the tracks. Unfortunately, I'm not too happy with the results as they've been presented to us. It sounds like the instruments (particularly the drums) were too processed in order to get them cleaned up... a lot of these songs just don't sound "right" now. I guess I'm too used to what I've been listening to for the last 11 years.

It's too bad... I was looking forward to to what could have been.
#115 - Posted 10/5/13 @4:27PM by Salesman [contact]

@SoCalledFriend, yes the solo is nice. Just picked the album up on vinyl this morning and noticed that immediately. Unfortunately, and I haven't seen anyone else comment on this yet, the first chorus after that solo is punched in four bars too early compared to the original mix. It comes in over a prominent bass part and then leaves four more bars before finishing the "turn and turn again" line. That totally breaks the flow of that chorus and messes up the tension set by having singing over the bass part. WTF?
It drives me crazy when that kind of thing happens on remixes and remasters. I have the original vinyl and though it is compressed it still gets me more tension, bombast, and release than the new version. New mix has much more depth and lots of great qualities, though. The amount of kick drum snap and separation in the mix is almost distracting. These albums become so ingrained that it will take a little time to wrap my head around the different presentation.
Last note, 30 bucks for the remaster vinyl and not even a download card for a 320Kbps version, let alone a full CD inserted like Wilco does or a 24/96 download like Paul Simon did with "So beautiful". So now I have to shell out for a digital version as well. I'd pretty much give these guys my first born (and he's a really cool kid) but I've already bought this album on CD and vinyl and now vinyl again. Is a digital download too much to ask?
#114 - Posted 10/4/13 @7:43PM by gag2man [contact]

I just received the CD in the mail from Best Buy. They didn't have it in the store on Tuesday, but they matched Amazon's price - $ 9.00 and waived shipping. It's better than the original. I can't wait to burn it in the car. I put it on iTunes and it sounds good. I listened to the entire album online at work the other day. Two things I'll note are 1) Geddy is listed as Gebby in the musician credits (this was screwed up on the original) and 2) I figured there would be a dedication to Selena and Jackie.
#113 - Posted 10/3/13 @5:03PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

I bought the CD at BestBuy on Tuesday and have now had a chance to listen to it twice, once at home and once in the car. It sounds much better than the original and I am generally quite pleased. I think, however, that I would have liked a straight remaster over a remix/remaster. I think the additional Geddy voices are unnecessary, although they sound good. I like the short guitar solos in OLV and Ceiling Unlimited. My $.02.
#112 - Posted 10/3/13 @2:48PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

ok.enough petty silliness.
You've probably seen these but will make you smile!

#111 - Posted 10/3/13 @1:49PM by SoCalledFriend [contact]