Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2014 at 12:20PM

#28 - Posted 2/3/14 @2:35PM by nodrush [contact]

Zep ripped off so many artists, no just borrowing, without giving any credit. As great as zep were, Rush are "original", they actually give credit were credit is due.
Comparing the two dosen't end well for zep in my book.
#27 - Posted 2/2/14 @12:22PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Also if you listen to the first two Foo Fighters albums where Dave plays drums the y are quite fantastic tunes.
#26 - Posted 2/2/14 @11:29AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yeah maybe Dave should not be in the top five but he does get around his kit quickly and is a monster. Love Matt Cameron. The day is here!
#25 - Posted 2/2/14 @8:48AM by jupeguy [contact]

Jim.I never really got into Nirvana much, too depressing. Grohl that good is he to make your top five? Matt Cameron & Scott Rockenfield are two other Seattle drummers who aren't too shabby either.(Although Cameron is originally from Cali I think)
#24 - Posted 2/1/14 @2:10PM by jiminseattle [contact]

That's it CPB, should have been stoned. :>) Love your drummer input as well. Barriemore Barlow was so great for Tull, saw them with him twice in the 70's and he was just all over that kit. A Passion Play shows his true skills. Laters.
#23 - Posted 2/1/14 @2:05PM by cpb [contact]

I like your drummer list, jiminseattle (though I don't know how someone has to think a lot to appreciate DMB! It's stoner music! - still, props for the Carter Beauford mention), but I think it's a classic case of FAVORITE drummers vs. BEST drummers (as if one can quantify such a thing). For me, I'd pick three of Frank Zappa's former drummers (Chester Thompson, Vinnie Colaiuta, Terry Bozzio) ahead of Keith Moon...but Keith Moon changed the face of ROCK drumming so there ya go. I'm a huge Bill Bruford disciple, but less because of his Yes stuff and more his King Crimson/Earthworks stuff. Similarly, guys like Manu Katche, Chad Wackerman, or even the older guys who appeared on Burning For Buddy aren't household names, but in terms of RAW TALENT, they're greatness.

It's like, who today would say Chet Atkins is their favorite guitarist? But he's still definitely in the top five of all time. Same with Gene Krupa. And on it goes...
#22 - Posted 2/1/14 @1:27PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I should say I am confident we will win but Peyton is amazing. Wonder what the boys are up to these days. Enjoying their down time I am certain. Rush!!!

Go Hawks!!!!
#21 - Posted 2/1/14 @1:12PM by jiminseattle [contact]

It is going to be awesome Jupe, I just want a good clean game and hope we don't get blown out. J
#20 - Posted 2/1/14 @1:03PM by jupeguy [contact]

You getting excited for the big game Jim?
#19 - Posted 2/1/14 @12:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I remember seeing the Dave Matthews Band back in the 90's and thinking to myself, "myself, I have to think to much to listen to this music". Carter was/is an amazing drummer though.
#18 - Posted 2/1/14 @9:19AM by jupeguy [contact]

Hannufin- You have one too many Koff IVB's last night? Your posts started looking like that guy who shows up here every so often, he's had different usernames none of which I can remember right now.
Denny- The first time I saw Carter drum was on the "special features" part of Neil's "A Work In Progress" instructional DVD's.
The name of the song that Carter is drumming along to is called "Ants Marching" I think and holy f#*king sh#t did it ever blow me away!!!
I am not a big fan of TDMB but as a drummer and to any drummers out there go to you tube and look it up or I'll try to link it (although some of those are pissing me off)
#17 - Posted 2/1/14 @8:16AM by Denny Crane [contact]

#5 asks about Carter Beauford.

Carter (Dave Matthews Band) is an incredible drummer that plays with an unorthodox approach with left hand on hi-hat. This changes the way he approaches everything. He can seriously play those drums, and unlike Neil, Carter really, really has himself a good time on stage.

DENNY CRANE
#16 - Posted 1/31/14 @10:41PM by jiminseattle [contact]

As if to cry.
#15 - Posted 1/31/14 @10:29PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Metal Gods. Thats's all about the riffs by the nighty Brimmies. Birmingham style plus Norfolk VA US drumming. Brllllllll. Too much UFO's here. PRIEST !!!!!!!!!!! Alex and Red Barchetta !! Any ti,me ! Wine. Brutus, Neil, Pratt, Michael ;)
#14 - Posted 1/31/14 @10:11PM by hannuFIN [contact]

12! The most fluent drummer, heavey weight class, I've seen seen lately amongst them ( Neil top of them watching and smiling) I personally did like a lot so much of Scott Travis by the mighty Judas Priest. Heavy as hell, Mighty JP ! No seats campaigns, NO NO ! no for the sleepers.
#13 - Posted 1/31/14 @9:49PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I actually think that pairing up TS and STH is a great matchup. While STH is a great song, i am much more likely to change the station when it comes on the air. TS on the other hand, I can never not listen to, no matter how overplayed it is.

TS just transcends all the others in the category of overexposed classic rock songs.
#12 - Posted 1/31/14 @9:33PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Somehow IO've been thinking. Which bands have made you to cry of joy. I don't remember much else than Rush and our natioonal anthems with variations. Chill's with music also with Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath RJD era, Journey Perry era, but crying without joy without Rush nothing. And Dream Theater. U done it well USA, CA, and UK..
#11 - Posted 1/31/14 @9:12PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Links did not work. I like all kind of mx, from classical, jazz to pop, rock, prog, hard rock, techno (no edm here, we had that since 1987) all stuff depenps. Among Neil my absolute kick ass man is Dave Lombardo, Portnoy, Paice, Powell, Collins, Copeland, Scott Travis..list goes on. Those are superstar famous anglo style, there's such a a big amount others as well from all continets other styles. Born with NWOBHM 1978>
Neil with mystique Tamas's doubles, Canada. Kick ass rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Btw I also like bw's, birds, bought decent Vipers, made In USA, WI. Unboxed today, Real deal. peace.
#10 - Posted 1/31/14 @7:22PM by CraigJ [contact]

These types of comparisons are really just dumb and only exist for radio stations to sell stuff, kinda like most organized sports when you get down to it. Meh.
#9 - Posted 1/31/14 @7:18PM by Denny Crane [contact]

I love RUSH more then oxygen.

But to pit Rush against Led Zeppelin is not going to end well for one of them.

Without LZ, we would not have Rush, or at least the Rush we know today. LZ was critical to a lot of what came afterwards. Rush would still have existed, but it might not have been the same Rush we've known since 1974.

DENNY CRANE