Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:44PM

#28 - Posted 11/25/13 @9:03PM by conniemack99 [contact]

I think he is just being humble.
#27 - Posted 11/24/13 @3:54PM by ReGorLaTroy [contact]

Thanks as always for the weekend updates Ed!
#26 - Posted 11/24/13 @2:26PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

CraigJ,

I had attended the same concert in Phoenix, although I was quite a few rows behind you. Luckily, I had left the concert with no ill effects, my hearing was not even slightly affected. Of course, this was only my third Rush concert. Even though i have been an aficionado of Rush's music for nearly 35 years, my first Rush concert, and rock concert in general, was back in June, 1992, during the "Roll The Bones" tour, when I was 30; my second Rush concert was in September, 2002 during the "Vapor Trails" Tour, at the age of 40 and my third Rush concert was back in November, 2012 at the age of 50. Unless this trend somehow changes, I anticipate that I will next see them in 2022, sometime after my 60th birthday.
#25 - Posted 11/23/13 @12:39PM by Electric Brain Boogaloo [contact]

Oh OOOOOOH YEA haha
#24 - Posted 11/23/13 @12:10PM by Slack jaw gaze

#20 - That's called self-deprecating humor.
#23 - Posted 11/23/13 @11:45AM by ClassicB [contact]

#20, and along those same lines, Geddy speaks about being "trapped" behind the keyboards on the older songs. To me anyway, that was when Geddy was at his best on these older songs, he was actually playing the keyboards and Taurus Pedals and the Bass while singing. Now he just hits a sample and is on cruise control. I will take the 70's and 80's Geddy Lee any day over today's Geddy if he thinks the older RUSH song's are "silly".
#22 - Posted 11/23/13 @3:18AM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Same to the guy thinking Geddy is making fun of him with a simple, quick onstage crack. Irreverent humour, humble attitude, please look into it.
#21 - Posted 11/23/13 @3:17AM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

when did Gene say or even imply he made Rush? He was saying how good Kiss treated their opening acts, & was making a point to treat everyone well you come across, essentially. How some people see negative in everything & then broadcast their negative view (in the guise of "This guy's an ass, huh!") is confusing, silly, & ironic.
#20 - Posted 11/23/13 @1:34AM by jtweez

I've heard Geddy in a few different interviews say things that sound almost condescending to Rush fans, and he says something along the same lines on the new DVD. I've heard him in the past say things that pretty much dismiss their earlier music as "silly" or "funny", etc., and suggest that it shouldn't be taken seriously. And on this tour and on this DVD he refers to their older music as their "funnier" stuff and says that he "can't imagine" how someone at the concert could close their eyes and get into their music so much. I just don't understand where he's coming from; whether he really thinks their older music is silly and shouldn't be taken seriously or if he's being overly humble or something.
#19 - Posted 11/23/13 @12:37AM by Greenewolfe [contact]

Gene Simmons acting like he made Rush....What an arrogant AH....Screw you Gene! Sorry KISS, you aint the players Rush are...not even close.
#18 - Posted 11/22/13 @9:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

The Wreckers is playing now. The visual editing does leave a bit to be desired. During The Anarchist they panned away during Alex's solo, quite lame.
#17 - Posted 11/22/13 @8:41PM by gag2man [contact]

I've got to say that the thing that stands out most to me on the Blu Ray is the crispness of the resolution. Being 60 years old, you'd think if they were plastic, that they'd tell the camera operators to put a couple layers of filter on their cameras (or however they do that). Thankfully, they're not and I'm still soaking it in. I can't judge any Rush release after one spin, but so far, so good.
#16 - Posted 11/22/13 @8:31PM by CraigJ [contact]

#13 When I saw them in Phoenix I was front row center right by a stack of speakers. I had to get earplugs from the security guard. It was so loud I couldn't really hear anything but a wall of sound to be honest, and I could not hear the strings at all. My ears rang like hell for 3 or 4 days - I thought there were going to bleed the next morning - that was a 4 Advil 2 pot of coffee morning. I've listened to the CAT CDs like 20 times and I think it's a great live recording, which is what I'm looking for. As much as I love ESL, and it remains probably my favorite live album, it has so many overdubs it's practically a studio album in places. I'm happy that the chose to leave this recording alone.

Gotta go find my thing...
#15 - Posted 11/22/13 @8:28PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am pleased with the DVD! Amazing what hooking up cords to stereos will do for ya. It sounds sweet.
#14 - Posted 11/22/13 @8:26PM by tasman7 [contact]

"I will learn to resist."
The DVD has been released in Australia but there's a week delay on the Blu-Ray.
#13 - Posted 11/22/13 @7:14PM by Liverpool 78

The sound.

Has it been mixed to sound like it does when you're in the aircraft hangar that you see them playing in???

Who can honestly say, when watching Rush live, that they can hear every string, synth, miid programmed trigger, word, drum hit and cymbal crash as a separate entity?

I absolutely loved the Time Machine Tour but when I saw them at Sheffield UK I was directly in front of Geddy's Mike with a speaker blasting an ear crunching sound at me from the footlights and so that was more of a visual experience for me however, the following week at Birmingham UK from further back the sound was just as much a wall of noise - though equally as enjoyable.

It's nice, when you get a blue ray recording of the event, that you can hear the individual nuances that you absolutely do not hear in the hockey barn but I think that the soundscape on this offering is probably a more realistic representation of the real experience.

I liked it.

Liver
#12 - Posted 11/22/13 @6:32PM by CraigJ [contact]

Was a good week in the Rush dept. I am very pleased with both the CD and the DVD. Muddy, low, blah, blah, blah. I like it. It's not ESL, but then again only ESL is ESL. and the Video for ESL is pretty basic really. Love it, but it's basic. Favorite track is Where's My Thing. I've converted the DVDs to MP4s and am enjoying them on my iPad and iPhone as well as my computer. There is something weird with disc 2 of the CD pack - in iTunes it puts it under compilations. I had to edit the info for each of the 31 tracks to get them to show up properly grouped, in the proper order, with the correct artwork, but I was finally able to get it working.
#11 - Posted 11/22/13 @6:01PM by cagster [contact]

#8 welcome. I agree that Wish Them Well plays great live. I still love Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, and Carnies, and always seem to have to play them in order.
#10 - Posted 11/22/13 @5:05PM by caressof2112 [contact]

I have just been notified that I was one of the ten that secured the autographed Rush first cover stamp from Torontos first post office.
Ill post pics when I get it if anyones interested.
#9 - Posted 11/22/13 @4:44PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes #8 welcome. This is a great way to express your views and opinions on all that is Rush.