Friday, December 27, 2013

Updates and other random Rush stuff
12:18PM EST | comments (72) |

RushI hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas this past week and was able to spend some quality time with family and friends (and get lots of Rush swag under the tree!). Because of the Holidays there isn't much to report in the Rush news department for this last installment of the Friday Rush updates for 2013. Yesterday we learned that Rush will be releasing a re-issue of their debut album next year to celebrate the 40th anniversary since its release back in 1974, and earlier in the week the upcoming Clockwork Angels graphic novel became available for pre-order. Other than that things were pretty quiet.

Since the year 2013 is coming to a close, there have been a flurry of end-of-year, best-of lists released over the last few weeks. Rush's recently-released Clockwork Angels Tour made a few of these lists including Scott Ian's best of 2013 list at LoudWire.com (thanks ou812112). Q104.3 is running their Year that Rocked: 2013 poll and Clockwork Angels Tour is one of the options in the Best Classic Rock Movie category. Rush is also included in the Best Live Performance category. Be sure to place your vote for Rush at this location. On that note, now that Clockwork Angels Tour has been released for over a month now and most fans have had a chance to see it, I'd thought I'd ask everyone how they think it stacks up against all of Rush's other live releases. Take the poll and let us know. Reviews of Clockwork Angels Tour continue to trickle in including this one from blogger and Rush fan Dave Sokolowski.

WatchMojo.com posted their list of the Top 10 Rock Bassists (thanks Mark H) earlier this week and Rush's Geddy Lee topped the list at #1.

Photographer Deirdre O'Callaghan is putting together a new book called The Drum Thing. The planned book will contain collections of photographs and interviews with some of the drum world's biggest names including Neil Peart, who will also be writing the foreword. The Drum Thing Twitter feed posted a scanned excerpt of a quote from Neil Peart from the book earlier this week:

... When I pick up the sticks and settle my feet on the pedals, I have a couple of favourite rhythmic foundations that I fall into every day - repeating patterns (ostinatos) that are both comfortable and inspiring. I nearly always begin by improvising over a 3/4 "waltz" lilt, and gradually build intensity, then modulate through a couple of Latin rhythms I like. I often try out new ideas that - if they are successful - may well appear in my solo in that night's performance ...

O'Callaghan is appealing for funding to finish off the project through a Kickstarter campaign located here. In addition to helping to get the book into production, your pledge will get you some cool extras including launch invites, signed swag and more, depending on how much you contribute. For all the details, preview photos/videos and more, check out the Kickstarter campaign page.

Speaking of Neil Peart, he and his wife Carrie Nuttall attended Global Green USA's 10th annual Pre-Oscar Party this past February 20th at the Avalon Hollywood. A red carpet YouTube video interview with Neil from the event recently surfaced online and you can check it out below or at this link (thanks Sean). Neil talks for nearly 2 minutes about what he appreciates about the work Global Green USA is doing and what he does to be green in his own life.

2013 was a huge year for Rush with the band finally getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, embarking on a second leg of their highly successful Clockwork Angels tour and releasing an accompanying live video, and releasing their long-awaited remix of 2002's Vapor Trails. Despite the fact that 2014 will mark the 40th anniversary since the release of Rush's first album back in 1974, the band has indicated that they will not be embarking on any kind of R40 tour and will instead spend most of the year on a break from the band. That said, we've already learned that we'll at least be getting a re-issue of the debut album next year to mark the occasion, and hopefully the band will do something else special to celebrate. I hope everyone has a great weekend and a Happy New Year!

Comments

Page 1 of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#72 - Posted 1/3/14 @10:27AM by lisah [contact]

#70, Thanks. I always enjoy readjng your posts also. I always pick up something new about Rush, and that is a good thing. So much to learn about their music, that there's no wonder it's like a hobby.I agree about the personal lives of Rush. I don't really care too much what theg do, just that the music will be forthcoming. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of Neils personal views, but I just don't read them. It's all about the music for me and as long as that doesn't suffer, I am okay.Here's hoping 2014 brings good things to Rush and to Rushians everywhere.

I am upset that Yes was once again passed over by the RRHOLame! BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

RUSH ON!
#71 - Posted 1/2/14 @12:48AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I am of the opinion that whatever Neil Peart does privately is his own business. I am not going to speculate about his appearance. We should be very grateful that this maestro of percussion still has an interest in putting forth his best effort and that he still continues to pen very insightful lyrics.
#70 - Posted 1/2/14 @12:41AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

The same to you, lisah. I am always interested in reading your posts. I hope that you have a fantastic year, also!
#69 - Posted 12/31/13 @12:01PM by lisah [contact]

Wishing everyone here a safe and Happy New Year.Happy 40th Anniversary to Rush and thanks to Ed for getting us through another year and another tour. Here's to the next album and the next tour, whenever that might happen! Rush On into the New Year!
#68 - Posted 12/31/13 @9:05AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Someone stated previously that with Neil wearing a hearing aid maybe that is the reason his drums seem lost in the mix of the CA blu-ray/DVD's. First of all I don't think Neil would have anything to do with it, he would just be trusting the people who were hired to handle it.Probably Ged and Al are invovled in the process as they have been in the past. If anything, IF the final result was played to Neil before it was released he should have been saying "am I even playing here?" Like I've said before guitar players must LOVE this mix, but as a drummer I hate it! Even though it's just a small cross section of people I think Ed's poll speaks volumes about how people honestly feel about the CA blu-ray/DVD's. I e-mailed Anthem/SRO and expressed my disappointment in the mix. I told them that if the audio was on par with the video it could have been one of the best rock concert DVD's EVER!!!!! I have yet to get a response from anyone at Anthem.
#67 - Posted 12/31/13 @8:50AM by subdivincent [contact]

I like Neil's interview - he sure uses his hands a lot to communicate - he's either part Italian.. or a drummer
#66 - Posted 12/31/13 @6:35AM by oldprogrockfan [contact]

It is now 11.30am on New Years Eve,with just 30 min left to work as the Boss is going to send me home at Noon!
So a Happy New Year to all Rushisaband fans around the World and to Ed for all his hard work this year on this site

Old prog rock fan
London England.
#65 - Posted 12/30/13 @9:05PM by limelighter [contact]

off topic-----went to my record to see if they had the garden picture disc that was released a month ago on record store day. they did but were not allowed to sell it until after the new year. WTF???
how does that work? they said they had only 2 copies but clearly had more than 10 behind the counter.
i am guaranteed one since i am 2nd on the list. great artwork on it. wow.
anyway, off to detroit for the winter classic. GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!! it is geddy's team.
#64 - Posted 12/30/13 @8:48PM by mysticbeat [contact]

Just wanted to say Happy New Year to everyone
in Rush Land. Tomorrow will be working, no time off
for me, so getting this in early.
#63 - Posted 12/30/13 @3:09PM by driventotheedge [contact]

I could not agree more with #62 and #60 the Visuals are truly stunning

also the clockwork angels material kicks ass and how could one describe the Carnies

one word Epic