Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 12:47PM

Page 1 of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#142 - Posted 5/17/14 @11:19PM by chuteski [contact]

Superfluous Medial Dorsal Horn?
#141 - Posted 5/17/14 @2:11AM by cpb [contact]

smdh at #140...
#140 - Posted 5/16/14 @8:54AM by joerock213 [contact]

Wrong. "Nights".
#139 - Posted 5/15/14 @2:02AM by cagster [contact]

Chuteski #136, not wrong!
#138 - Posted 5/14/14 @11:09PM by chuteski [contact]

Or nights, if you prefer. Although lights still works. Note to self.... use preview.
#137 - Posted 5/14/14 @10:39PM by chuteski [contact]

Also, I miss Jupe!
#136 - Posted 5/14/14 @10:38PM by chuteski [contact]

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire, I really think " summer's going fast, light's growing colder, children growing up, old friends growing older" is one of the best lines in all of rock 'n roll. Am I wrong?
#135 - Posted 5/14/14 @3:46PM by CraigJ [contact]

nope but it's only been a day.
#134 - Posted 5/14/14 @12:55PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Craig, I take it you never heard back from the Jupester. What a shame!
#133 - Posted 5/13/14 @2:48PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Cool, I hope you hear/see from him.
#132 - Posted 5/13/14 @2:40PM by CraigJ [contact]

I just did. He can respond or not. We'll see.
#131 - Posted 5/13/14 @1:15PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I did not Craig. Didn't want to infringe on his privacy but I am bummed. Really appreciated his thoughtful posts as I do yours.
#130 - Posted 5/13/14 @1:07PM by CraigJ [contact]

#129 - Did you send him a message to see what's up? I guess maybe he actually did feel that we thought less of him because he's a flooring contractor? Which is silly.
#129 - Posted 5/13/14 @12:44PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Musicofthe: yeah man, that is a killer list. I would put Snakes, VT and Counterparts in my top 10. Everyone have a great day, it is beautiful sunny in Seattle. Missing Jupe.
#128 - Posted 5/12/14 @9:09PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

Ok, I can't resist.

But once I started to type, I found it realllly difficult. Permanent Waves is 7th here only because it has kind of an immature technological sound to me. It sounds like it's from the 70s... :) My list seems not dissimilar to Jim's, and even joerock's, save his placement of the 21st Century albums.

So here are my top 7:

1. Moving Pictures -- I can't deny it; Red Barchetta = fav song of all time
2. Power Windows -- LOTS of keyboards, but they work; power theme nicely done
3. Clockwork -- yes, if only it sounded better...
4. S&A -- songs 5-7 make quite a Power Trio!
5. VT -- the emotion...
6. Signals -- musicofthespheres
7. Permanent Waves
#127 - Posted 5/12/14 @7:14PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Marillion is a top ten favorite band of mine.

I have literally worn out many copies of "Misplace Childhood" in the last 25 years. I've burned, and burned, and burned many copies of that album and have beat them to death with constant playing and handling. Agreed that "Theiving Magpie" is a fantastic capture of the entire album played nonstop, the rest of the CD is a sloppy mixing of different concert recording, very obviously mixed and spliced together. Their follow up "Clutching At Straws" is not bad either. the early "Script For A Jesters Tear" makes another good album too.

The lead singer back then was a fella called Fish (Derrick W Dick) and he had an incredible stage pressence similar to the theatrical Peter Gabriel back in the old Genesis days. You can catch some of Fish's solo work on youtubes... a shadow of his former self, but the honesty is still there.

Speaking of early Genesis, ironically, I jammed out to "Seconds Out" on my long commute home from work today. This is one of the best sounding live albums ever, period. This double CD features a young Phil Collins on lead vocals after Peter Gabriel bailed. Funny to think how Peter leaving Genesis was not barely a ripple in the bands quality or musicianship but when Steve Hackett left the band the effects were ten-fold.

DC
#126 - Posted 5/12/14 @4:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes Craig, the mix is rough. Snakes is better that way but not as good of a release to me but definitely in my top 10. I would have a tough time ranking the records but as I have stated before my top 5 are:

CA
Signals
Power Windows
Permanent Waves
Hemishpheres in a tie with MP.
#125 - Posted 5/12/14 @2:43PM by CraigJ [contact]

#123 - hey I really like it. I rank it ahead os a lot of other Rush albums. It would probably rank a bit higher if it were a bit more "listenable".
#124 - Posted 5/12/14 @2:41PM by CraigJ [contact]

Wow, I just noticed that on my list the A group is ALL the albums from 1976 to 1984. That wasn't intentional and I just now noticed it. Hmmm... If I were to include live albums ESL would also be in group A and would be #2 behind Signals. Live in St Louis would be in group A as well. All the other live albums would be in group B somewhere.
#123 - Posted 5/12/14 @2:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I feel almost guilty for liking the new album so much. I will be the first to admit that after listening to it in my truck this weekend that it is a bit muddy but the content is great for me.