Rush reference on last night's episode of The Colbert Report

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 3:22PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#17 - Posted 4/25/14 @4:52PM by random_sample [contact]

#14- Pretty good assessment.
#15- Carson was the master.
#16 - Posted 4/25/14 @1:25PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

I still can't believe Colbert is getting Letterman's job...
#15 - Posted 4/25/14 @12:04PM by CraigJ [contact]

I stopped watching late night when Carson retired.
#14 - Posted 4/25/14 @11:52AM by MGRushFan

Colbert is strictly for yuppies who feel they are being "edgy" or "cool" by listening to his "anti-establishment" views. Meanwhile, Colbert is as milquetoast as it gets. The dude has no true subversive bone in his body. If he did, he would not be on major media being broadcast into people's homes. He's a safety valve for confused Repubs and Democrats who think the system still works. "F" Colbert!
#13 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:37AM by random_sample [contact]

I'd take any of them over that Craig Ferguson jackass, though.
#12 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:32AM by random_sample [contact]

If even us Rush fans didn't get that joke, can you imagine the non-Rush fans in his audience getting it?? I swear, the writers on Colbert Report try too hard to be clever, sometimes. #9- I agree with you on Colbert , but I like Letterman and NOT Leno. Never liked Leno.
#11 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:23AM by Rubinowits [contact]

"I take the joke as referring to Geddy as being a nerd, thus making it hard to teach him to catch... I dunno. What a lame joke. Sometimes Colbert is funny and sometimes he ain't."

DC

I believe he meant teach him to catch because Ged would be part of the 2.5 KIDS. You teach a kid to catch a baseball, right? I could be wrong.
#10 - Posted 4/25/14 @2:40AM by musicofthespheres [contact]

nation, I am having a cocktail.
#9 - Posted 4/24/14 @7:38PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just me but I think Colbert is a wad. Not funny at all. Letterman isn't funny to me either though. Jay Leno is the man.
#8 - Posted 4/24/14 @6:34PM by CraigJ [contact]

#5 - they were funny when it was Jane Curtin and Bill Murry, or Dan Aykroyd

#7 - Posted 4/24/14 @6:23PM by joerock213 [contact]

Colbert is washed up. I want to move to Canada.
#6 - Posted 4/24/14 @6:16PM by CheeseCorn [contact]

I'm left wondering the same thing about the catch joke.

On the surface, it just doesn't make sense.

But maybe it's like Diego suggested - a reference to the Tom Sawyer lyric that only Rush fans would grok. I wouldn't put it past Colbert (or his writing team).

If that is indeed the case, then to you, sir, a tip of the hat!

And kudos to you, Diego, for having the insight!
#5 - Posted 4/24/14 @4:31PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I would agree that Colbert's jokes in general are hit and miss. But perhaps that's normal on talk shows like that.

One segment that I have NEVER found funny is the "Weekend Updates" on Saturday Night Live. Even when Poehler and Fey were doing it, the jokes were just not funny.

But maybe that's just me.

I know a lot of people would say the same thing about some of Rush's "comedy routines" on their DVDs.
#4 - Posted 4/24/14 @4:21PM by Denny Crane [contact]

DC
#3 - Posted 4/24/14 @4:07PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I interpreted it as a reference to Geddy's love for baseball, but I may be missing a hidden sexual or political meaning to the joke...
#2 - Posted 4/24/14 @3:50PM by Diego [contact]

If it's a reference to 2.5 kids and thus playing catch with your kid, I don't think it's funny. But if it's referring to catching the spit, that's good.

Catch the witness, catch the wit
Catch the spirit, catch the spit
#1 - Posted 4/24/14 @3:33PM by double-agent [contact]

Ok, someone please explain the joke to me about teaching Geddy to catch. WTF?