Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, November 1, 2013 at 12:15PM

#32 - Posted 11/6/13 @8:12AM by spirit with a vision [contact]

I too, cast a confident vote for the phenomenal vocal styling's of Geddy Lee. Sure his voice is wonderfully idiosyncratic- but overall he has broader vocal chops than ever (not just higher register notes) and I also actually love how Geddy's jazzier phrasing is playfully applied to the ol' classics.
#31 - Posted 11/6/13 @3:46AM by freewilly [contact]

#26 & #27 I think Geddy sounds great too, I think we're not in the minority or very soon we won't be.
#30 - Posted 11/5/13 @11:05AM by simon r

Scoter nice to hear from you. Hopefully they will have something similar in Europe pre release. Will bring back happy memories of the tour. Someone was talking recently about camera angles etc on dvds-I just seen The Nice on BBC doing America and I felt seasick after watching it-I know it was the 60`s but it ruins a perfectly good performance by the band.
#29 - Posted 11/4/13 @8:51PM by scoter [contact]

Good evening, if anyone is interested, you can go onto the Cineplex.com website here in Canada and check for tickets locally. They are available for November 18th here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
#28 - Posted 11/4/13 @8:20PM by marty from clayton [contact]

As far as the top Rock songs of all time:
How can you take seriously any list that doesn't have Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" in the top 10??
#27 - Posted 11/4/13 @2:34PM by jiminseattle [contact]

#26. Agree wholeheartedly. His voice sounds great to me. I know I am in the minority.
#26 - Posted 11/4/13 @2:17PM by Electric Brain Boogaloo [contact]

Are you kidding me? Geddy sounds amazing. I listening to first on my phone through my surroundsound headphones then again through some good PC speakers and again on my 5.1 off the Rolling Stone site and youtube... it sounds DAMN good. He was a little off on Time Machine, but I hear he was under the weather, but he's damn good on every other live disc, I don't see this one being an exception. Sure he doesn't sound like Geddy 1976 on 2112 but he gives it 100% and he's at least in part playing it for you guys.
#25 - Posted 11/4/13 @9:18AM by Rushannadanna [contact]

and another Jackson..
#24 - Posted 11/4/13 @9:07AM by Fear [contact]

Add another one to your tally Jackson. Good luck young man!
#23 - Posted 11/4/13 @2:01AM by palidrummer11 [contact]

Oh and I think I figured something out about the filming of recent Rush DVDs. I know a lot of people are unhappy with the choppiness, and excessive amount of shots. I was thinking about it, and maybe it's because the camera crew is trying to show off a much of the entire production (stage design, lights, rear screen projections, etc.) as possible. On Exit Stage Left and ASOH, for example, there wasn't a whole lot to look at other than Geddy, Alex, and Neil, with the occasional video in the background- sometimes they would even just show the video and not the band on DVD's. That allowed them to have longer shots of the band. Today, there is SO much going on at a Rush show, it's hard to not look all over the place. More often than not, I'm enjoying multiple aspects of the concert at once. When Alex takes a solo, you watch him obviously (for the most part), but during songs like The Garden, The Anarchist, YYZ, Manhattan Project, etc., there are moving screens (maybe not on Manhattan), and rear screen movies. I think the DVD is trying to capture as much as possible. I'm not saying it's better or even looks good. I don't really have an opinion on it, to be honest. And I need to see more of the DVD to really be able to judge. But I think this might answer some questions. Those are just my thoughts, though.

#22 - Posted 11/4/13 @1:53AM by palidrummer11 [contact]

thanks jim!
ok speaking of 80s Rush, I was just listening to Prime Mover. Can we all take a second to appreciate how amazing that song is?? And Geddy's voice on the ASOH version... wow. I know this is old news, but it's been a while since I've watched any of that DVD.

Jackson
#21 - Posted 11/3/13 @3:07PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes Jackson, Power Windows and I have voted for ya every day. :>)
#20 - Posted 11/3/13 @2:45PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

jiminseattle,

you mean Power Windows, not Permanent Waves right? If so, I'm totally with you! My favorite album of all time!

#19 - Posted 11/3/13 @11:49AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Thank you all for not blasting me on my vocals comments. I am listening to PW right now and over the three plus years I have been on this blog it seems that is the consensus favorite, maybe I am wrong. It is hard to argue with, brilliant.
#18 - Posted 11/3/13 @10:16AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Hey michinman!First of all a shout out to you for helping find bin laden! Concerning Ged's voice when I saw the 2 shows of CA I thought he was doing O.K. He had a "puberty" moment on the first or second line during Subdivisions at the Hamilton show but I thought he was doing pretty good for the rest of it.
Also think of how HE must feel on nights where he is struggling badly and even listening back to the TMT Cleveland show and knowing that it was going to be released as a DVD must have made him feel pretty shitty and embarassed!
#17 - Posted 11/3/13 @10:15AM by Gedfan [contact]

Sorry, I meant 2112 not The Garden, which is "ok" for the most part. They should maybe drop the older songs now, which would reduce the demand on Ged and shorten the setlist somewhat, which is where they hinted they were going.

It doesn't put me off them either, live or buying the Blu-ray...they should maybe record a few shows and pick the best bits...
#16 - Posted 11/3/13 @2:21AM by michinman [contact]

Would like to add that I still immensely enjoy their performances, and that although I'm partial to the way Geddy used to sing the 70's stuff it's not a huge turn-off. "Disappointed" may not have been the best choice of words. I still LOVE seeing them perform. So, yeah I'm with you too, Jackson. I've learned to kind of look past it. And it's good that some people actually prefer the way it sounds now.
#15 - Posted 11/3/13 @12:39AM by Diego [contact]

Regarding the vocals, I think it matters when you happen to catch them live. On the last tour I saw two shows in early May and two in July. In May I didn't think Geddy sounded good, fatigued probably. It is a shame if that is the sound that was recorded to document the tour. On the two later shows Geddy didn't miss a note. The vocals were full of energy and I really enjoyed them. I think the vocals are a big factor in future touring. From the interviews I've read, Geddy is very devoted to maximizing his ability to sing. I'm thinking he wont get much resistance from Alex and Neil (and if it financially makes sense) to let his ability to handle the vocals dictate the tour schedule and set list.
#14 - Posted 11/3/13 @12:21AM by palidrummer11 [contact]

michinman,

Thanks a lot man!! I really appreciate that! hahaha yeah, I still have a few years left to legally be allowed to drink.. chocolate milk. But I'm obviously not the first person to ever break that rule ;)
I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do if I win. All I know is that if I do win, my girlfriend is going to call me a nerd

and as far as Ged's voice goes, I'm pretty much with you on this one, except I don't think it bothers me as much. I've sort of just accepted it haha. And when I'm at a concert, I'm singing along anyways, so I'm not really sitting back and paying too much attention to his voice. I can still tell that he definitely struggles a lot though. I think there was a point where I sort of stopped cringing at his voice and learned to listen more to the rest of the music and the song as whole. Other than that, I'm 100% with you. I think a good way to explain the way I feel is that I don't mind his voice, but it doesn't give me chills anymore, like it does on Different Stages (he sounds absolutely perfect on that one!). I honestly can't listen to the old albums sometimes because I know I won't be able to handle it haha

And everybody else, keep voting for me!! :) haha. Thanks

Jackson
#13 - Posted 11/3/13 @12:01AM by jiminseattle [contact]

I personally like Geds voice much more now on the new records than the really old stuff. Know I will be excoriated.