Clockwork Angels tour opening night in Manchester open thread

Posted on Friday, September 7, 2012 at 12:27PM

Page 1 of 28 - « Prev | [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 | Next »
#549 - Posted 9/18/12 @11:51AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Fact's a fact from Rome to Gnomes.

David Campbell - Conductor

Joel Derouin - Violin

Gerry Hilera - Violin

Jonathan Dinklage - Violin

Entcho Tudorov - Violin

Mario De Leon - Violin

Audrey Solomon - Violin

Jacob Szekely - Cello

Adele Stein - Cello
#548 - Posted 9/18/12 @11:35AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Then there were the Circuits Blowing at the Circus Maximus of Manchester

Speaking in tongues always reminds me of the talking heads, and that pier with the baby carriage always reminds me of that old Yes video of them playing on the pier.
#547 - Posted 9/18/12 @11:20AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Soo glad this is old news....

RUSH - Where's My Thing /Drum solo #1 LIVE 09072012@ First night Clockwork Angels tour Manchester

Ahhh...the perfect companion to Kokopelli's Leave That Thing Alone at Albuquerque~
#546 - Posted 9/18/12 @11:04AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

i can't believe no one has told me to stfu yet... or disowned me. Thanks! Rush fans are the best!

We were just having so much fun that Geddy's pants were falling down!

Anyway, here's a song about a Kid from the Sept 7th show who just turned 60!

An Analog Kid once wrote the best lyric ever in a song:

"Fawn-eyed girl with sunbrown legs dances on the edge of his dreams."

Song about a Kid, eh?

Happy 60th Birthday, Mr. Peart.
#545 - Posted 9/14/12 @8:16AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

re: #10

broooding in the towah

at least we're all here and alive!

#544 - Posted 9/14/12 @8:14AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

thank the angels and saints for no spoilers nor whammies
brooding in the tower.

no whammies dammit.

whoaooo, if one bell should ring, celebration for a king.

wait, that's led zeppelin. love rush's mixed metaphors.

whoa to laugh aloud...gunga den etc.
#543 - Posted 9/14/12 @2:44AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

exorcisims performen here

under the circumvented tent
#542 - Posted 9/14/12 @2:32AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

so sorry rush
#541 - Posted 9/14/12 @1:11AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

but i knew they could never turn me

#540 - Posted 9/14/12 @12:54AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

#6
3,430
HONUS
#539 - Posted 9/14/12 @12:46AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

RE: #526
i AM SERIOUS, SHIRLEY.
AND STOP CALLING ME FESTIVUS

#538 - Posted 9/14/12 @12:31AM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Sorry for being an ass in my previous comments...what's new after 20 beers...

comng back to my senses, I must confess... i sometimes channel a drunk mel gibson...

and i wake up in the fetal position posessed by these rush songs that i cannot get out of my head, the missing parts of me revolving...

ringo $300,000,000.00

making monkey noises ... priceless!

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel,
"Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead
you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said,
"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel,
this
is the Promised Land."

Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the
price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans,
the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security,
retirement funds, etc .... I called a Suicide Hotline.

I had to press 1 for English.

I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal.
They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck......

I'm thinkin' maybe, we're screwed.
#537 - Posted 9/12/12 @9:56AM by MMCXII

I agree with Paul from England. The Power Windows-Hold Your Fire to Test for Echo era produced some dreadfully overproduced and under powered tunes in their catalogue. Many Rush fans exposed to the band circa Hemispheres or before do feel this way. I also was puzzled by the omission of BU2B in favor of some of the weaker tunes from Clockwork Angels.
That said, the new material came off fairly well live.
529-Thanks! In the past, Alex had a Moog synth brought out to trigger the vocal sample "time stands still" at the proper moment. He didn't actually play any Moog runs on it, just used it as a dummy board to trigger the sample backstage. As far as spoilers go, the last place I would be if I wanted to avoid knowing a set list would be in the 500+ comments section of opening night of the tour on Riab! ;-)
#536 - Posted 9/12/12 @9:50AM by Paul from England [contact]

Thanks Liver, I do hope you're right, both about the number agreeing (or disagreeing) with me, and about getting excited! Don't get me wrong, Rush are still the best band in the galaxy, but I just feel there's a little something missing, and the odd classic from the 'genius' era would help smooth things along.
#535 - Posted 9/12/12 @9:09AM by Liverpool 78

#534

Sorry to know you feel that way Paul and of course your views on Power Windows are your own, as are your views on Clockwork Angels. I don't think you'll find too many people agreeing with you, from either side of the pond.

I hope you can get a bit more excited and that you will enjoy your gig.

Liver.
#534 - Posted 9/12/12 @7:49AM by Paul from England [contact]

Interesting point from Liverpool 78 about UK fans liking this set list. I don't think they will, and I sincerely hope that there are some significant changes before the tour gets over here. Being Canadian, and therefore 'honorary Englishmen', Rush have always had musical sensibilities that appealed more to the eclectic tastes of the Europeans as opposed to the more mainstream tastes of America (don't yell, I'm not knocking, just getting to the main point). The essence of what makes Rush what they are has always been the mix of technical skill and the unique, groundbreaking, imaginative, almost avant-garde approach to songwriting. The fact that this approach seems to be diluted in favour of more mainstream songwriting, year after year, is at the heart of what I don't like about this set list. Case in point: they're playing Middletown Dreams? FFS. That and Emotion Detector are the low points of Power Windows, yet there are plenty of people posting who love it. Let's see how it goes down over here shall we?

Clockwork Angels is good, but it's not THAT good. There are large portions that are, shall we say, melodically-challanged (and some that are excellent), and it's very lacking in diversity. Dynamics and inventiveness seem to have been sidelined in favour of large, uninteresting chunks of power. So there's NINE songs from CA in the live set, and they're not even playing the best track on the album (BU2B). Snakes & Arrows for me was a much better album, leaning back towards the more creative days, and they had a far better mix of material on that tour. I wouldn't mind the lack of classic material so much if the alternative offerings were so much more dynamic and creative, but they seem to have lost an awful lot of magic when the youthful naivety matured.

Anyway, for the first time in 34 years, I'm not looking forward to a Rush gig as much as I did. Makes me wonder if the reason tickets were on sale a year in advance is because they know the set won't be popular enough to fill the arenas. Yes I want Rush to remain vibrant and relevant and not become their own tribute band. The trouble is, there's nothing on Clockwork Angels to compare to Xanadu, The Trees, By-Tor or Jacob's Ladder.
#533 - Posted 9/11/12 @9:42AM by Liverpool 78

#532

Well done you!! Despite the lofty oaks in front of you.

A great taster for those of us who still have to wait MONTHS before our fix. My wife and I are holidaying in New York and Toronto in October but when we're in NY the band are in Toronto and vice versa. I emailed Ray but he said there was nothing he could do, so roll on next May, Manchester and Sheffield UK.

Liver.
#532 - Posted 9/11/12 @8:13AM by squintyt4e [contact]

Playlist for the entire Manchester show - enjoy everyone!

(the two knuckleheads in front didn't stay for the full show thankfully)

Bp
#531 - Posted 9/10/12 @11:41PM by PetieLee [contact]

I have avoided every Rush tour opener, save this one. Hated the strings. Loved da Rush! Good set list, I could complain but why bother! Now, the VIP Nation ticket sales scam....I can go on and on for days about that fiasco. Not a good treatment of REAL TRUE RUSH FANS. We aren't made out of money so that we can put our hard earned money into crap seats. I thought Rush really WAS all about the fans and not making a quick buck? Neil's words come to mind: "All is for the best, believe in what we're told, blind men in the market buying what we're sold..." Thank goodness for Platinum Seats and even then...guess it means fewer shows, less of us multiple show fans to deal with I guess. I suppose we have to pay the cost of adding the strings to this tour, too. Ha!!!

Love da Geddy! Miss da Geddy!
#530 - Posted 9/10/12 @6:53PM by Liverpool 78

It has just occurred to me that a lot of UK/European fans are going to be really pleased with the setlist, regardless of it being the A or B list because the Power Windows tour was a North American affair only and so we will be hearing a number of songs live for the first time.

Happy days.