Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rush reference on last night's episode of The Colbert Report
3:22PM EST | comments (17) |

There was a Rush reference on last night's episode of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report. Stephen opened up the show with a report about how the Canadian middle class is now the most affluent in the world, displacing the United States at the number one position. Stephen goes on to state the following:

... no longer will people around the world aspire to the American dream of a house, a white picket fence, 2.5 kids. No, now it's the Canadian dream of a beaver dam, a maple syrup moat and 2.5 members of Rush. I don't know about you but I don't want to teach Geddy Lee to catch. ...

The accompanying graphic displays a photo of the band, with Geddy Lee, Neil Peart and the lower half of Alex Lifeson (2.5 members of Rush) along with a beaver dam and bottle of maple syrup. You can see a screenshot here and watch the complete episode online at this location. There have been a few other Rush references (here and here) on The Colbert Report over the years and the band famously appeared on the show for a live performance back in 2008. Thanks to Eric at Power Windows for the heads up and the screenshot.

Comments

#17 - Posted 4/25/14 @4:52PM by random_sample [contact]

#14- Pretty good assessment.
#15- Carson was the master.
#16 - Posted 4/25/14 @1:25PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

I still can't believe Colbert is getting Letterman's job...
#15 - Posted 4/25/14 @12:04PM by CraigJ [contact]

I stopped watching late night when Carson retired.
#14 - Posted 4/25/14 @11:52AM by MGRushFan

Colbert is strictly for yuppies who feel they are being "edgy" or "cool" by listening to his "anti-establishment" views. Meanwhile, Colbert is as milquetoast as it gets. The dude has no true subversive bone in his body. If he did, he would not be on major media being broadcast into people's homes. He's a safety valve for confused Repubs and Democrats who think the system still works. "F" Colbert!
#13 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:37AM by random_sample [contact]

I'd take any of them over that Craig Ferguson jackass, though.
#12 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:32AM by random_sample [contact]

If even us Rush fans didn't get that joke, can you imagine the non-Rush fans in his audience getting it?? I swear, the writers on Colbert Report try too hard to be clever, sometimes. #9- I agree with you on Colbert , but I like Letterman and NOT Leno. Never liked Leno.
#11 - Posted 4/25/14 @10:23AM by Rubinowits [contact]

"I take the joke as referring to Geddy as being a nerd, thus making it hard to teach him to catch... I dunno. What a lame joke. Sometimes Colbert is funny and sometimes he ain't."

DC

I believe he meant teach him to catch because Ged would be part of the 2.5 KIDS. You teach a kid to catch a baseball, right? I could be wrong.
#10 - Posted 4/25/14 @2:40AM by musicofthespheres [contact]

nation, I am having a cocktail.
#9 - Posted 4/24/14 @7:38PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just me but I think Colbert is a wad. Not funny at all. Letterman isn't funny to me either though. Jay Leno is the man.
#8 - Posted 4/24/14 @6:34PM by CraigJ [contact]