Neil Peart on Drum Solos in March, April, 2014 issues of Rhythm magazine

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2014 at 7:14PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#6 - Posted 4/15/14 @1:12PM by ToadBrother [contact]

I actually like how Neil did it in this last tour; splitting one big solo up into three solos spread throughout the whole show. Long enough for you to be dazzled by the Professor's technical capabilities, but not so long that your mind starts to wander and you begin to think "Is there enough time for me to hit a washroom..."
#5 - Posted 4/15/14 @12:15PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Being a drummer I enjoy the solos, that being said if they shortened them to one 5 minute solo and played one more song I would dig it.
#4 - Posted 4/15/14 @8:51AM by MGRushFan

Denny, funny you should mention those points. I agree 100%. Drum solos=lame. And frankly, it's not like Peart is playing anything even worth sticking around for in his solo nowadays.

I also go thru long periods of ESL, particularly broons band, trees and xanadu. I even ripped the ESL version of limelight off youtube because it is so much ballsier than the studio version. The St Louis 1980 boot is awesome! I love when the crowd screams after the opening hits of 2112. What happened to those crowds? Nowadays the crowds are pretty lifeless.

Regarding bringing back the real percussion, I used to run NYC's biggest drum and perc rental house, and during the 30th anniversary tour I got in touch with their management offering for free an entire rig replicating the ESL years percussion setup....crotales, chimes, temple blocks, temple bells, the whole shebang. Delivered, setup, teched. Needless to say I never got taken up on the offer. In fact, I never got past the secretary. I can understand of course, but I really was excited about the possibility of seeing Peart play perc, rather than the lame electronics he uses now, which sound uninspired at best. There's a real disconnect when you see someone hit a pad and a sample comes out. I think the human brain can sense that it's not real, and therefore lacks power and authenticity.
#3 - Posted 4/14/14 @9:01PM by Denny Crane [contact]

@ #2

I kind agree to a certain extent. I love Neil's drumming and admire his talent, but if RUSH decided to play another song in place of the 5 minute solo I would not be overly disappointed. I've got nothing but love for Neil, so don't go there, but if he scaled back the solo (which he really has given the three smaller versions) I would open to them playing another song instead.

I've mentioned a few times lately that I am stuck in an "Exit Stage Left" loop of late where I've only been listening to ESL and the 1980 St. Louis bootleg (courtesy of a fine RIAB member) lately. This has led me to dream of Loren Gump wheeling out the large chimes, crotales, and woodblocks that Neil used to play back in the 1980s. Could you imagine if Neil busted out the REAL chimes and stuff for Xanadu? Anyways, that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

DC
#2 - Posted 4/14/14 @8:42PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Drum solos are a thing of the past. Used to be quite prevalent in the 70's and 80's.
#1 - Posted 4/14/14 @7:21PM by Denny Crane [contact]