Geddy Lee on Rush's debut album in new Radio.com interview

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 1:12PM

#23 - Posted 4/5/14 @2:02PM by The Sphere [contact]

The release date appears to have slipped to April 29th, 2014 according to amazon.ca/.com and rushbackstage.com

Cheers!
#22 - Posted 3/28/14 @10:14PM by What-A-Rush

I love the first album for EXACTLY what it is: straight ahead, no-nonsense rock and roll! And YES ( no pun intended) , they would never sound like that ever again! Perhaps that's the true appeal of that album for me! Good stuff!
#21 - Posted 3/28/14 @2:46PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

or that could read "going backwards" in my post below
#20 - Posted 3/28/14 @2:45PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Just look at the progression of albums when the guys worked with Broon. I definitely don't think it's looking back when this particular producer was able to free them into exploring MULTIPLE musical directions during the time he was with them.
It might be wishful thinking these days but it would be a shame not to talk about someone who was there during one of the great exploration periods of one of the greatest bands.
#19 - Posted 3/28/14 @2:13PM by Homey M Holmes

Oh, yeah, and 3) Good luck in getting Peart to actually learn any drum parts before recording anything these days.
#18 - Posted 3/28/14 @2:11PM by Homey M Holmes

"Forget Holmes, he is a nice guy but..."

I don't even understand what this means. What I was saying is, I'd support Broon coming back 100%, but I don't think the guys would be into it, because they'd think it was "looking backwards." My point is that 1) good production is always "looking forwards," and 2) maybe the time is right to focus again on those formal characteristics rather than the Wall of Noise that arose with the advent of digital production techniques.
#17 - Posted 3/28/14 @2:08PM by Homey M Holmes

Smart production skills doesn't mean "looking backwards." That's part of the problem, thinking this way.

Recent developments suggest good audio is making a comeback in the music world. Rush should strive to be a part of that process.
#16 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:58AM by Micky [contact]

At "Drummer": I'm with you ! Forget Holmes, he is a nice guy but...
#8: yes I would be really keen to see Steve Wilson working with Rush.
However, overall, sweet and grateful words to TB by that kind great man who is GL !!!
#15 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:54AM by Alexfan [contact]

Bring Back Broon - it does have a nice ring to it...

I get what anyone might say about how Rush has always looked forward, not back, and how it could be a "been there, done that" idea. I love the stuff they have done since parting ways with Terry Brown. Not trying to say that they were lost without him.

I just would love to have them all together recording again. I mean, they are all different people now than they were 30 years ago, but they share something, something that no other producer would ever bring to the table. I'm sure it's nostalgia creeping up on me. Whatever, I would just love to see it.

Bring Back Broon!
#14 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:30AM by CraigJ [contact]

I don't really think Terry Brown and Rush are compatible at this stage. Been there, done that. I count SnA among my favorite albums.
#13 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:18AM by Alexfan [contact]

Yep. Bring Back Broon!
#12 - Posted 3/27/14 @10:28PM by drummerboy2112

Holmes
I get what you're saying but it was just a hypothetical
And sure I could drive with my feet but that doesn't make it a good idea
And in hindsight, driving with my feet would be obviously a bad idea, hence my train of thought about what I feel (nick in particukar) that Led to a substantial uninteresting (if that's a word) period of music from the band from oh let's say vt onwards to be conservative

I understand that looking backwards for answers is not in their DNA but I tell you what
When I need I advice I look to my father. Is Terry a father figure? I don't know, maybe

Look, nick to me, sucked hole, to put it lightly and in my eyes wasted
5 solid years of the boys, bc he (in my mind) was and is not the right guy for rush, never was and never will be

I mean really, what does it take to tell the boys to bring back a vintage feel to their modern sound

You don't need to have a Grammy for that type of advice, but you do need to point them
In the right direction when a song is not working

Anyhow

I'm rambling
#11 - Posted 3/27/14 @9:59PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

Looking for you ?

Rushisntafatoxyeater
#10 - Posted 3/27/14 @9:43PM by PWestcott [contact]

Terry Brown and Rush had an incredible relationship. It'd be interesting to see them work together again but I wouldn't hold my breathe. And speaking of good old Mr. Brown, I haven't seen him around the gym in a while. And oh yeah, I think it was Neil's tour bus I saw this week - it and the trailer were parked on Carleton near Yonge Street. That's a pretty busy intersection so I wonder what it was doing parked there at lunchtime???
#9 - Posted 3/27/14 @6:51PM by Homey M Holmes

Well, I can definitely see management pushing for Broon, just from a marketing angle.
#8 - Posted 3/27/14 @6:21PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

I'd love to see Broon back at it with the boys. Heck even Steven Wilson would be an interesting choice. I hope they are freed up to explore wild new directions and are inspired to create at their own pace.
#7 - Posted 3/27/14 @3:48PM by Homey M Holmes

Drummerboy,

Well, that's why they fired him, right? Because they wanted to do all those things.

Why bring him back? I've been enjoying the hdtracks 96/24 files, and you can really hear the thoughtful care that went into those recordings -- instruments are positioned dimensionally, effectively, rather than the ceaseless wall of BLAH coming at you relentlessly on CA, etc. If not Broon, somebody doing "old school" audio production circa the 70s, but with modern technology, fine. It does seem like somehow modern technology has eradicated thoughtful production techniques in favor of the Wall of Blah.
#6 - Posted 3/27/14 @3:32PM by Fish Eyelands [contact]

I think you guys are missing the point of the band, they are moving forward when they record albums- well other than Feedback. Why would they use Terry Brown? They would probably use another producer, maybe Nick again, but I doubt it. The only time they went back to a producer was Peter Collins, and that's only because he changed in his production style.
#5 - Posted 3/27/14 @3:27PM by Alexfan [contact]

I just see it as the perfect way to finish off a great career.

Terry coming back would be bringing things full circle.

I know how unlikely it is, but man, how great if....
#4 - Posted 3/27/14 @2:28PM by drummerboy2112

if he could walk in 40 yrs ago, completely oblivious to the band then and fix them (you know, again and again, year after year), then it stands to reason, that he could do it again, no?

gone would be
1.) improv drum parts
2.) bass chords
3.) multiple tracks of backup vocals
4.) LOUDNESS!!!! (can you hear me)
5.) *maybe* the DW's
6.) *maybe* the Sabian's
7.) Alex would be allowed to record however he wanted (thankfully)
8.) focus would be on bare 3 piece
9.) the SANS amp on ged's bass tone

of course it won't happen, but man what if?