Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2014 at 1:52PM

#22 - Posted 3/9/14 @8:40PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Very cool t-shirt and great interview. I was wondering what the other two songs you were referencing as far as lyrics, thanks. Ian Anderson like so many of that time has lost his voice to a degree. I read many posts on here about Geddys voice changing and many say for the worse but I disagree. I think it has mellowed and is smooth. Does he miss some stuff live, yeah but don't they all?
#21 - Posted 3/9/14 @7:49PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

thanks jim. just seemed, given Neil's "mental jukebox", that songs from his youth are always readily available to him and he probably has fun like that from time to time. My God, also on Aqualung, had "oh people - what have you done" which made me think of The Pass, and "graven image" which made me think of Carve Away (though "graven image" is biblical too).

the interviewer here has a cool t-shirt: link
#20 - Posted 3/9/14 @12:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

That is an interesting take, had never thought of it before. Huge fan of the early Tull for full disclosure.
#19 - Posted 3/9/14 @12:58AM by musicofthespheres [contact]

randomly -- had never really digested Jethro Tull, though certainly was familiar w. several songs from Classic Rock radio. Just spent an hour w. Aqualung, and the lyrical tributes by Pratt seemed obvious, from The Pass to Carve Away the Stone to The Anarchist (where else have you heard "bad intent"...).
#18 - Posted 3/8/14 @5:55PM by anandrajan [contact]

This is probably a minority view but I always thought of Rush as mainstream. When I lived in Los Angeles, Rush was always played on the radio (95.5 KLOS) with Neil doing InnerViews with Jim Ladd, Bob Coburn interviewing Geddy and Alex when a new album came out and Joe Benson featuring Rush albums on the Seventh Day (Sunday nights). Vividly recall talking to Jim Ladd in the late 80s bemoaning the lack of quality mainstream rock (those were the hair metal years remember - Dokken, Whitesnake etc.) with him agreeing that Rush was the exception.
#17 - Posted 3/8/14 @2:17PM by CraigJ [contact]

#10 - I'm in for a Rush urn - I want to be cremated.
#16 - Posted 3/8/14 @2:16PM by CraigJ [contact]

I think you're, perhaps, not getting my point. I don't think I'm the one with the lawn problems... Point of fact, I don't have a lawn. I have a large expanse of gravel and cactus.

"Funny thing is, you wouldn't know about all the new crap you hate since you don't listen to the radio etc." I don't need to go out in the yard and taste a dog turd to know I'm not going to like it.
#15 - Posted 3/8/14 @2:12PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Marathon kicks ass....oh and The Anarchist too. :>)
#14 - Posted 3/8/14 @1:09PM by limelighter [contact]

CraigJ----noted.
#13 - Posted 3/8/14 @12:50PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Jim
There is no Rush coffin..yet..exactly. It's coming!
Hell, if Gene $immons could charge ppl to watch him take a leak, he'd do it....wait a minute, I've got to put a call into Don, KISS' manager.

Has there ever been a Rush lunchbox?

RR
#12 - Posted 3/8/14 @12:48PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Craig,
To you lots of new mainstream music is crap....well...sometimes ppl like crap.

Hey, bring that piece of gargage up from the basement....

Funny thing is, you wouldn't know about all the new crap you hate since you don't listen to the radio etc. You would be blindly oblivious, so you would have to stick with chasing 4th graders off of your lawn! xD
#11 - Posted 3/8/14 @12:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I mean our favorite band not our band. They are a business in the end. What a fuckin fun business to be in.
#10 - Posted 3/8/14 @12:27PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am a fan of all the information. Why should Rush be different? Just because they are our band? At least there is no Rush coffin.....yet.
#9 - Posted 3/8/14 @12:20PM by CraigJ [contact]

I get it. But the fundamental issue is that back in the day to had to read a magazine, or listen to the radio, or whatever. Now whatever information you want is instantly available in real time. To some, that's not necessarily good, to others it is. Personally I like it, because without it I probably wouldn't have known about the new album or the tour, because I don't listen to the radio and I don't buy those types of magazines anymore. In fact I would know little about Rush post TFE because that's about the time I stopped having time. And in the great scheme of things, even though they have a lot more exposure these days, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to all the truly mainstream crap. And I do mean crap. The majority of popular music is crap (and popular culture for that matter). Always has been, always will be. Without RIAB I'd have missed out on a lot. And so comes the good with the bad. Ed needs to keep the site living to get traffic to pay the bills to keep the site running.

Personally I'm thinking of taking a bit of a break, because there really isn't anything happening, and I doubt anything will happen on the new music or really beefy news front for a few months at the earliest. Although my interest in the "sexiest celebrity butts" does remain high... We shall see.

All y'all have a great weekend.
#8 - Posted 3/8/14 @11:57AM by limelighter [contact]

i don't care about everything else, i am just talking about rush in general.
#7 - Posted 3/8/14 @9:21AM by CraigJ [contact]

Well yeah, but that applies to everything.
#6 - Posted 3/7/14 @10:26PM by limelighter [contact]

ok, let me put it this way, i loved rush before the pre internet days because any news that came out of the rush camp was always a surprise.
#5 - Posted 3/7/14 @6:31PM by driventotheedge [contact]

For all the work Rush has done compared to other bands that are making outrages amounts of money I say good for them, well deserved regonition for being one of the greatestest bands in rock and roll history.

As long as it does not make it harder to get decent concert tickets

Go for it
#4 - Posted 3/7/14 @4:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I agree with Craig, if you don't want to participate don't but lots of people do and that is okay with me.
#3 - Posted 3/7/14 @3:29PM by CraigJ [contact]

The grass is always greener...

Why shouldn't they accept being more "mainstream"? Firstly I think it's not really the band but the fact that the fans are into their 40's an50's and have the power, position and money to bring their favorite band to the forefront.

You don't have to buy the new stuff, you don't have to listen to the new stuff, you don't have to watch the WalMart commercials or American Idol, etc.

In fact, if you weren't on RIAB you probably wouldn't know about most of this stuff anyway.

Sounds a lot like "get off of my lawn" talk to me.

No offense intended, just my opinion.