Rush ReDISCovered debut album LP box set coming in April

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 2:11PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#52 - Posted 3/21/14 @6:56PM by Will Collier [contact]

So if anybody was keeping an eye on this thread, I got in a used copy the "deluxe edition" of Counterparts today, shipped over from Germany for a grand total of about $12. I would say "deluxe" is a stretch, but it is a neat riff on the original packaging. The CD tray plastic is gold, and as noted down the thread, the nut-and-bolt on the cover is embossed on the lid, and not printed in the middle of the black box on the liner card (I didn't figure this out until I removed the liner, it's basically an invisible change unless you know what you're looking for, but once you pull out the card it's pretty cool).

The original price sticker (DM 29.99) and a front sticker (directly on the lid plastic) reading "RUSH Counterparts Limited Edition with special CD Packaging" are still on, which is nice. The CD itself is the standard German pressing from 1993.

So thanks to flyingmelon53 for pointing out the existence of this sucker, I had never even heard of it before, it's a nice little addition to my Rush collection. There appear to be 2-3 more copies currently for sale at Discogs for about the same price if anybody else is interested.
#51 - Posted 3/5/14 @7:10AM by Will Collier [contact]

Very much doubt that the content is any different from the original CD release. Just gussied-up packaging.
#50 - Posted 3/4/14 @4:44PM by CraigJ [contact]

Is this version any different other than the artwork?
#49 - Posted 3/4/14 @3:37PM by Will Collier [contact]

Thanks, Lief, I just put in an order for the copy on sale there. Appreciate it...
#48 - Posted 3/4/14 @2:53PM by Leif [contact]

#42,43,44, etc. I have that edition of Counterparts. It was made in Germany, and only released in the EU (AFAIK).

Here is a description that I found on Discogs: "This version has the screw and nut artwork printed on the jewel case instead of the booklet. The booklet has just the black background. The CD tray comes in a golden colour. The booklet folds out to a page of 3 x 3 panel size."

Note that some of the images that can be found through that link look a bit weird, and doesn't really present the actual "real life" packaging in a very good way.
#47 - Posted 3/4/14 @1:34PM by Texasdog [contact]

The only place I saw the deluxe Counterparts edition was in Goldmine magazine (back when each edition was 80+ pages). The listing showed it was from Germany. I think it was $23.99?). Only reason I didn't order it was because I didn't know the merchant and didn't see confirmation of a Deluxe edition anywhere else (rats).

As far as the box set, the only possible problem I see is someone getting premium money on Ebay for a MOON RECORDS edition of the first album (since they've duplicated the original sticker on the latest money-grab). I hope it says REPRODUCTION.
#46 - Posted 3/3/14 @6:18PM by Will Collier [contact]

Interesting. I don't remember that at all. I was on TNMS when Counterparts came out, and I don't think there was any discussion about a deluxe edition. Certainly Tower Records in Austin didn't stock one, and they carried pretty much everything in those days.

Anybody else ever run across one?
#45 - Posted 3/3/14 @5:53PM by cpb [contact]

Das Kounterpartzen.

#41: If it doesn't then I'll
I'll
I'll

I SWEAR I'LL

hm

to be honest i won't take any action but i'll be annoyed.
#44 - Posted 3/3/14 @4:54PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

This is the original ad I was thinking of:

The ad references a limited edition CD with Deluxe packaging
#43 - Posted 3/3/14 @3:12PM by Will Collier [contact]

I don't recall a deluxe version of Counterparts from the first release. There was a "Gold CD" version (not MFSL) that came out a couple of years ago.

Counterparts was a beyotch to find on vinyl (although not as bad as Roll The Bones). Finally landed a German pressing about a year after it came out...
#42 - Posted 3/3/14 @3:00PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

I like the package and I'm always excited when new Rush products come out but I'm going to give this one a pass. I almost NEVER listen to this album. And if I'm going to be honest, I'm still pretty disappointed with the boxed set that was released from Atlantic-such a missed opportunity-(VT remix notwithstanding). The Mercury sets were lavish and well produced. I bought the Deluxe CA set and it was nice, but why would I want a Blu-Ray AND a standard DVD in a set?
My vote is for some more live CDs/DVDs from the modern era-or maybe a deluxe reissue of some other albums.
BTW-when Counterparts first came out there was a deluxe version that was announced. Does anyone have a link to it?
#41 - Posted 3/3/14 @12:55PM by dinoman [contact]

I wonder if the re-issue still say "For best results play at maximum volume" on the back of the cover.
#40 - Posted 3/3/14 @12:35PM by CraigJ [contact]

I don't think it's snobbery - digital recording formats are empirically better. The problem, especially with earlier CDs (80's, early 90's) is that the engineers created a lot of crap. Garbage in, garbage out... Also the equipment in the 80's was not that great. The DACs, frankly, sucked. At least the ones in consumer equipment.

Now they still create a lot of crap by pushing all the levels. CDs have an incredible dynamic range compared to all other media. Yet engineers feel the need to push everything to 11 because the format will handle it and create muddy, brickwalled recordings. LPs often sound better than CDs because there are just things that can't be done with the format, like really loud bass under 80hz for example which muddies things up a lot (see CA CD vs CA Vinyl). Also, humans like distortion inherit in the analog recording and playback process. I don't know why that is, but I like it too.

It's all good. But I have no turntable and I have no plans to acquire one. No digital format means no purchasing by me. But to be honest, Even if they released a super re-masted awesome CD of this I still probably wouldn't get it. Rush just isn't Rush without Pratt.
#39 - Posted 3/3/14 @10:54AM by Will Collier [contact]

I'm looking forward to this release, unconscionably-high price and all... the first album was always Rush's weakest LP sonically (yes, including Vapor Trails), hopefully this release will get the major drum-sound upgrade that went into the "vault edition" of Working Man a few years back.

I used to be a complete CD/digital snob, starting from when I got my first player back in late 1984. But this last summer, just on a whim, I broke out my old turntable, hooked it up to the big main speakers in my basement, and dropped the needle on a recent re-pressing of "Aja" that I'd received as a gift.

I was flat blown away. I've listened to that album dozens (probably hundreds) of times on CD, and I was suddenly hearing instruments and parts that I'd never heard before. Completely changed my 30-years-and-counting opinion about vinyl, snaps and crackles and all. Now I'm very thankful I never parted with my old record collection, and have gotten into buying new releases and re-released albums in the original format.

So in other words, try it before you knock it...
#38 - Posted 3/3/14 @10:20AM by idrum2 [contact]

Excited for this, but was expecting more. Should've at least thrown in a 45 of the original single with this package.
#37 - Posted 3/3/14 @4:06AM by EEEBEE [contact]

Count me among the disappointed. Should have been a CD three disc special edition:

Disc 1: Remastered "Rush"
Disc 2: Studio tracks that didn't make the cut (original single, etc.) and alternate cuts of album tracks
Disc 3: Early live recording a la (ABC 1974)

So easy. So many dollars lost (including mine). Oh well...
#36 - Posted 3/2/14 @9:54PM by Thurston [contact]

I would have to agree with the sentiment of not including something "extra special" in this package.
To me, the obvious choice would be the inclusion of the 1st single. They're putting the Moon label on the LP - so why not issue the Moon 45 as well?
Hopefully someone will take note of comments like this & re-issue the single later this year. (Record Store Day?? Hint!!)
All this being said - I'm happy & excited to see the 200g vinyl re-issue along with the "little" extras.
#35 - Posted 3/2/14 @2:10PM by hazlnut [contact]

I used to have it on LP.
#34 - Posted 3/2/14 @1:18PM by clockworkingman [contact]

@33 oops my mistake! I get a bit messed up with the early history of the band. Thanks for pointing that out....this is the first time I've truly grasped just how quickly rutsey was out of the band after the first album came out.

I guess we will find out if rush decides to do anything more for their 40th anniversary. Unlike other bands who have passed that mark, such as the stones or Kiss, Rush is still adding to their recording legacy and aren't just a nostalgia machine. Kind of tough for me to accept but I guess if they choose not to make a big deal of this major milestone, they don't have to
#33 - Posted 3/2/14 @12:44PM by Leif [contact]

#31 Neil joined the band in July, 1974. 2014 IS the 40th Anniversary of the current line-up.