Rush Spirit of the Airwaves live 1980 radio broadcast

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 12:20PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#43 - Posted 3/23/14 @11:33AM by rush21122 [contact]

Has anyone got this yet???? I read on the rush forum, someone one on there has it and said it sounds great....
#42 - Posted 1/31/14 @4:15PM by 1357

There's always a demand for Live RUSH material.
#41 - Posted 1/31/14 @11:09AM by clockworkingman [contact]

Thanks Shimdog! This just made my day!
#40 - Posted 1/29/14 @2:39PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Thanks Shimdog for the youtube link. I am listening to it now instead of doing my real work. I agree that Geddy has a bit more echo going on. Limelight is a bit different from the studio version we all know so well. Fantastic music.

DENNY CRANE
#39 - Posted 1/28/14 @8:39PM by Shimdog [contact]

For those of you in a bootleg mood. Search You Tube for ( Rush something old something new ) great show that was post PW and pre MP. In the song limelight there is a totally different solo then what was recorded for MP.
Other highlights are Jacob's Ladder and Trees. It's a great bootleg for those who loved ESL and wish it had more songs from that concert. This is rush at the apex of their kick ass analog heaviness and great vocal range.

Enjoy,
#38 - Posted 1/28/14 @11:34AM by CraigJ [contact]

I just listened to this for the first time in almost 30 years. HOLY CRAP! IT'S AWESOME! It's like the in your face energy and rawness of All the World's a Stage merged with the technical proficiency of Exit Stage Left...

The vocals on Soliloquy, the bass on By Tor, and OMG XANADU!

I AM NOT getting any work done this morning. Get this. You must get this.
#37 - Posted 1/28/14 @11:29AM by jaeger [contact]

And those who do and do teach? Calling Prof. Russell...
#36 - Posted 1/27/14 @9:46PM by CraigJ [contact]

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach well, teach art or gym.
#35 - Posted 1/27/14 @8:57PM by jupeguy [contact]

Freddie must have been one of these people who can teach better than they could play (maybe). Just like there are some people who are masters at their craft but are crappy teachers. I was just curious to see some footage of Gruber playing in his prime.
#34 - Posted 1/27/14 @7:08PM by jupeguy [contact]

#27- Wow! No wonder Neil hitched his wagon to Freddie. That guy was a monster!I'm kidding folks, no disrespect intended to someone who has passed on. Would be nice to see some footage of Freddie playing when he was younger.
#33 - Posted 1/27/14 @6:46PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Yeah, what #28 said...

How do I get this live bootleg? I'm a Murican here in the States. What do I have to do to get this live recording? I'll pay, whatever, just want it.

P.S. The short video clip of Freddie Gruber playing drums was PAINFUL, just as I expected it would be.

DENNY CRANE
#32 - Posted 1/27/14 @6:42PM by Ian Harris

This album is on Spotify, too. At least in the UK.
#31 - Posted 1/27/14 @4:30PM by gag2man [contact]

In H.S. I stopped being a friend with someone. Fast forward a couple of years, in college, and we became friends again. He picked me up one night in this bucket of bolts (like we all had) and we took off. This album was playing in the car. It's probably my favorite Rush boot.

It's an inside joke, but we just refer to this as "OK St. Louis". :-)
#30 - Posted 1/27/14 @4:18PM by CraigJ [contact]

#29 - Back in those days the toured to sell records. Now they release albums to tour.
#29 - Posted 1/27/14 @4:03PM by More Evil Twin of ByTor

Check out those ticket prices. $5.95-$6.95. And to think how much we paid per ticket on the last tour. Even with inflation over the last 34 years ... WOW.
#28 - Posted 1/27/14 @3:59PM by clockworkingman [contact]

Forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious here, but is this release going to be made available on the Canadian and/or American iTunes in march? Or when they say 'import only' it's something you have to order a physical copy of from amazon or some other online vendor?

Once I get past my confusion...wow, I can't wait for this release! I've often wished I could time travel to 1980 just so I could see a few dates of the pw tour! And to yell out 'he's your father, Luke!' at the top of my lungs in a theatre packed full of Star Wars fans;-)
#27 - Posted 1/27/14 @2:02PM by CraigJ [contact]

This was the only thing I could find...

Starts about 1:01.
#26 - Posted 1/27/14 @1:32PM by jupeguy [contact]

One thing that has baffled me is this. Has anyone ever seen any footage of Freddie Gruber actually playing drums? I have youtubed it and you see a lot of instruction and talking by Freddie but never playing a kit. I wikied him and it said he was a jazz drummer. I mean there is old footage everywhere of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich etc. but I can't find any of Gruber. He has lots of eccentric sayings and perspectives but could he actually implement his teachings himself, behind a real kit? Just wondering.
#25 - Posted 1/27/14 @1:18PM by jupeguy [contact]

Agreed Jim -Think about how many bands have one or two good albums then fade out or break up and bands that try and never make it.I would say to have this band stay together for so long and put out 3 albums at the latter part of their career like VT,S&A and CA, I think that's very impressive. Yes there are some people who don't think these 3 albums are that great but I for one think they are far better than most of the crap out there today.
Also to MG you can say that Freddie Gruber ruined Neil's drumming but remember after Counterparts Neil felt that his style of drumming had reached its peak, that he didn't think he could take it any farther on his own. I think this was one of the reasons he agreed to take on the Burning For Buddy projects, because it took him out of his element and it was something different for him. If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Smith. I think it was him who suggested to Neil that he go learn from Freddie.
#24 - Posted 1/27/14 @12:58PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Many bands evolve and change for the better in their careers. I think Rush is at its best right now but that is me.