Have a happy Rush New Year!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 11:25AM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#62 - Posted 1/3/14 @1:18PM by random_sample [contact]

#19- Jupe..I voted for a new cover album ,like Feedback...BUT I agree with what you had to say. I actually am not expecting them to do anything, other than re-issuing the first album. They do need a break and from everything I've seen in interviews,etc...they seem to be planning to take an extended break. I wasn't crazy about Clockwork Angels (even though I like a few songs from it) , but I still hope for another album from them that I will get into. If not, there's plenty of Rush albums I love.
#61 - Posted 1/3/14 @8:50AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I've said this before about T4E but I listened to it about 500 times when it first came out and couldn't really get into it except for a couple of tunes, so I abandoned it for at least 10 years then gave it another listen and really enjoyed it! TCOR is the only track that still kind of bugs me, but other than that I really like the rest of the album now.Weird.I'm not saying it's up there with AFTK,Hem,MP,PerWaves,PowWin,2112 etc. but I do like it now where as before I just couldn't get into it at all.
#60 - Posted 1/3/14 @5:45AM by winstontizzer [contact]

Hapy New Year Rushians everywhere.
If and whatever the Band decides to do this coming year is fine by me because for the next 12 months I will be "trying" along with two of my buddies to rehearse a short Rush set for what will be my 50th birthday bash in Jan 2015, (all being well that is...(for obvious reasons I will not say God/Allah/Jehovah Willing!) "Your only making it worse for yourslf".
Anyway, this is what we are "trying" to put together in the next 12 months: Freewill, TSOR,Animate,Lakeside Park,Driven, The Analog Kid, Where's my Thing (that's for me to embarass me, my wife and two children at our show), Working Man, The Trees( merely writing that in this post makes me break into a sweat), Ghost Rider, Limelight and Red Barchetta (hopefully will not turn out to be a car crash).
Would be interested what you might think of the selection. At the moment we are "without a vocalist" and that makes practising that much harder. Anyway, the main point of this post is for me to publicise my friend and fellow Rush fan Lerxt 74 (aka Rob) whom I am sure you will aree, has NAILED this Youtube cover of Analog Kid. Please take a minute to check him out at link
(sorry Rob, you are way too good not to show case your talent on this hallowed site!). Enjoy
#59 - Posted 1/3/14 @12:57AM by Taurus Pedal Boy

I hope the guys do absolutely NOTHING in 2014 but relax and recharge their batteries. Enough is enough. No more touring or recording for a year. RUSH needs to go away for 12 months.
#58 - Posted 1/2/14 @11:52PM by ToadBrother [contact]

For me, Counterparts and Test For Echo are among Rush's weakest albums. I think Neil had lost his mojo a bit post RTB, and musically I just don't find it half way as inventive as previous releases. Still some darned good tunes, but compared to Presto or Vapor Trails, they're in the second tier. FrNkly I think even without Neil's tragedies they would have been headed into a hiatus.
#57 - Posted 1/2/14 @11:49PM by drmike [contact]

Maybe the First album re-issue will include Fancy Dancer and Garden Road. And maybe even Not Fade Away and Bad Boy (live), or better yet--the alternate version of Working Man that appeared on Guitar Hero. There is certainly space on a CD for all that and more. I can't see buying the re-issue unless it has something more than the songs that originally appeared on it, remastered or not.
#56 - Posted 1/2/14 @11:38PM by CraigJ [contact]

I agree with #54. Virtuosity has a killer riff, and has great music, but the lyrics to that, and Dog Years make me cringe a bit and I find myself reaching for the skip button when they come on.

I actually really like the title track, but my favorite on the album is Driven, and I particularly like the live version on Different Stages with Geddy's little bass solo. Carve Away the Stone is a bit of a "filler" song IMO. Personally I think TFE is the best of the 90's Rush with Counterparts as #2, although lyrically Counterparts isn't my favorite.
#55 - Posted 1/2/14 @10:45PM by chuteski [contact]

Test for Echo will always have a special place in my heart. I had really gotten into Rush because they were such great musicians and the jams were so bad ass. T.f.E. came out when I was 26, I think it was the first time I was really able to appreciate the spirituality of Neil's lyrics. Totem really spoke me. It was the first song that really spoke directly to ME, and the way I felt.

I traveled to Las Vegas to see the show with a bunch of my high school buddies. When I returned home, I was raving about the show to my new girlfriend. She was aware of Rush but was never a big fan. I convinced her to go to Boise to see the show with me. As we were leaving the arena I asked her what she thought about the show, her comments were, that was great! I didn't realize they were that good! That woman is now my wife and she has seen every tour since with me.

Speaking of Test for Echo, I think the only weak spot on the whole album is the title track. In fact if you start it on track 2, the whole thing really rocks.
#54 - Posted 1/2/14 @10:39PM by deslock [contact]

> #47 - Posted 1/2/14 @3:56PM by joerock213 [contact]
> Why "Half the World", and "Virtuality" have been shunned I do not know.

Half the World isn't a bad song... it just doesn't really go anywhere (I lump it in with Nobody's Hero).

Musically, Virtuality is stunning. The lyrics ruin it. I'd like a mostly instrumental version that only has:

***************************

Like a shipwrecked mariner adrift on an unknown sea
Clinging to the wreckage of the lost ship Fantasy
I'm a castaway, stranded in a desolate land
I can see the footprints in the virtual sand

Astronauts in the weightlessness of pixellated space
Exchange graffiti with a disembodied race
I can save the universe in a grain of sand
I can hold the future in my virtual hand

Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains
Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain
I can smell her perfume, I can taste her lips
I can feel the voltage from her fingertips

***************************

The rest of the lyrics are awful.
#53 - Posted 1/2/14 @5:35PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Jim, agreed...I got to see Time and Motion live in Milwaukee (or was it Chicago? I saw them both back to back in I think 1997). It was a great song live. I hope that with the limited time and the money made over the career (is it ever enough?) that they'd do a nod to the hard core fans and at least do a B sides setlist for about half of the show.
#52 - Posted 1/2/14 @5:25PM by lisah [contact]

#48, not disliked by this fan. I think it's a great song. I would love to hear some lesser known material for the remaining tours. I don't think there will be that many more. Sadly,I think maybe a couple more at most. Color of Right would be good. Along with some CP songs,T4E would be good too. Rush On!
#51 - Posted 1/2/14 @5:02PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Runkery, you are funny. Yeah it is going to be a new release in this New Year. :>)
#50 - Posted 1/2/14 @4:53PM by Runkerry

'Jim me too' is a Rush song? I can't wait to hear it ; )
#49 - Posted 1/2/14 @4:33PM by joerock213 [contact]

Jim me too! A great song.
#48 - Posted 1/2/14 @4:21PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am a big fan of The Color of Right which I know is disliked.
#47 - Posted 1/2/14 @3:56PM by joerock213 [contact]

There are many things to like about that tour. Geddy's voice could still reach the high register. Neil's playing showed a progression due to studying with his own personal yoda. 2112 in it's entirety for first time ever.

Jim, you're right about that album not receiving the love. Why "Half the World", and "Virtuality" have been shunned I do not know. "Totem" was another that I thought would be great live.

T4E fans of the world unite!
#46 - Posted 1/2/14 @3:40PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Love T4E, I know it is maligned and they never play a tune off that mix but I dig it. Go Joe!
#45 - Posted 1/2/14 @3:30PM by joerock213 [contact]

Second Leg: May 7 - July 4, 1997
Dreamline (with "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" intro)
Limelight
Test For Echo
Freewill
Red Sector A
Roll the Bones
Resist
Leave That Thing Alone!
The Rhythm Method (Drum Solo)
Natural Science
Force Ten
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Encore: YYZ
Cygnus X-1 (teaser)

Yes that was the setlist from the second leg of the Test For Echo tour. Quite possibly it is the best they have have ever performed. This tour was the first "An Evening with Rush" with no opener, and is therefore the blueprint for the modern era of Rush shows. In 2014 I hope they will release a DVD of this tour.
#44 - Posted 1/2/14 @3:21PM by Runkerry

I think they should do nothing in 2014. Except play The Coff Inn! : )
#43 - Posted 1/2/14 @9:22AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Hi. Don't know how many of you would remember a band called The Waterboys(Mike Scott), but I got into them when they first appeared in the 80's, and have most of their albums. Mike Scott is one of my favorite lyricists, he can really "paint a picture" with his words. Anywho, found this link for anyone who's interested . link