Alex Lifeson to appear on the Prog Magazine Show tomorrow

Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 2:02PM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#63 - Posted 11/30/13 @12:03PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#58,

If I had been able to suggest songs that would have sounded outstanding with the support of either a string section, or a full orchestra, I would have chosen the following: 'Faithless,' 'Nobody's Hero,' 'Available Light,' ' Ghost Of A Chance,' 'Losing It,' 'Different Strings,' 'Xanadu' and 'Tears.' Perhaps Rush will tour with a full symphony orchestra on their next album.

I think that one can clearly discern the classical musical influences in Rush's music, as well.
#62 - Posted 11/30/13 @11:54AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#43.

If you want to hear a truly magnificent concert by Duran Duran, I would strongly suggest that you check out "A Diamond In The Mind: 2011 Live," by Duran Duran. Also, Duran Duran's 'Girl Panic' video, is in my opinion, their best video so far released.

I was ultimately surprised that Duran Duran was not chosen by the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominating Committee yet. Perhaps, next year instead?

As many of you probably already know, out of the 16 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominees, my top choices were: Yes, Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple, Hall & Oates and The Meters. Of course, I would not be upset if The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Zombies, or Chic were chosen instead.

Realistically, however I suspect that the following will be inducted: Nirvana, Yes, Deep Purple, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel and Linda Ronstadt.
#61 - Posted 11/28/13 @11:25AM by ccbentley [contact]

Just listened to the DVD and maybe it is my system but the drums are buried. I see him strike cymbals and do rolls but I can't hear it or I can just barely hear it. I've checked my system but with little success. Maybe someone can help me out. I is a shame the drums aren't more pronounced at least not on my system. The guitars sound great though.
#60 - Posted 11/28/13 @9:50AM by jaeger [contact]

You have to be a serious traditionalist to keep _that_ last name...
#59 - Posted 11/27/13 @12:13PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Give me Available Light.
#58 - Posted 11/27/13 @10:14AM by CraigJ [contact]

#55 - I have my flame thrower ready ;-) Personally I thought they missed an opportunity to play ALL of CA in the 2nd set. I love Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Etc., but I've heard them all many times before.

I want to hear stuff I haven't heard before. I'd like to hear, for example, Beneath Behind and Between, In The End, anything from side 2 of 2112, Cinderella Man, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Red Lenses etc.

They have such a diverse catalog, that they are never going to please everyone, nor should they try. It's interesting to talk to other fans that have completely different likes. I have a friend that likes the 87 to late 90's period the best, and that's my least favorite, just as an example. I prefer the 70s, 80s and 2007+

Whatever. It's all good.
#57 - Posted 11/27/13 @8:10AM by isthatmysandwich [contact]

#56 Different Strings - what a great suggestion.
#56 - Posted 11/27/13 @5:08AM by MajorSkalle [contact]

#55
Regarding the non-documented tunes, I also think you can add The Body Electric, Grand Designs and Where's My Thing to that list.

In my opinion, they're doing a good job bringing back the more "obscure" tunes. I was immensely happy for seeing The Analog Kid and Middletown Dreams back in action.

Of course I wouldn't complain if they brought back even more of the unplayed tunes. Songs like already mentioned Cut to the Chase, Everyday Glory and Losing It. Available Light. And there's plenty of unplayed gold on Vapor Trails (Vapor Trail, for example). Different Strings is another one I think would do absolutely great live.

Not counting all the "used" songs out there in the vault. Like Afterimage, Jacob's Ladder, Time and Motion and Turn the Page. I would be a happy man.

I have my doubts I will get all my wishes granted for christmas, but just one or two of those in the set would make me more than excited!
#55 - Posted 11/27/13 @1:07AM by Redcygnus [contact]

If not a song from the '70's, then how about one they have never played live before from Counterparts onward? Even though I like Power Windows, for the guys to play so many from that album on the CA tour when playing most of CA was a big mistake in my opinion. I don't know what possessed them to do it, but I might have tried to go to more than one show if their setlist was more varied. Another song I could have done without was Dreamline. Why not breakout The Big Wheel from RTB instead? Too bad the band has so many bad memories of VT, because there are a number of songs on there that would sound good live.

They need to try and get some of these songs that have not been on any previous video/DVD out there as a document of them IMO. Except for Middletown Dreams, was there any other non-CA song that hadn't been captured live before? Big missed opportunity from my view point.

The problem is that all this attention they have been getting the last few years has been masking a dissatisfaction of live setlists among some of their older fans. I know I have talked to many that I know and they are mostly in the same mindset as I am. There will always be the vocal minority who like what they do no matter what and I think sites like this are skewed towards the uber fans and not the general fans.

Putting on my heat-resistant suit to deal with some of the rabid RIAB members.
#54 - Posted 11/27/13 @12:18AM by RowTheBoats [contact]

Much to our shragrin, Broon can't come back (as much as all of us would want him to) Just the mention of him even thinking of coming back prior to anything ever being released would set the bar so high that .... No one could ever, Ever, EVER, achieve it.

Queue in the song "Losing It".
#53 - Posted 11/26/13 @11:18PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Rushit69 is my daughters friend and she is working me, sorry all.
#52 - Posted 11/26/13 @11:16PM by Rushit69 [contact]

Shinedown is amaz-ballz
#51 - Posted 11/26/13 @11:15PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Shinedown? They are the worst, sorry.
#50 - Posted 11/26/13 @11:00PM by MGRushFan

Had to listen to Shinedown to see what you were talking about. damn, that's just about the gayest band I ever heard. Basically a modern toad the wet sprocket.
#49 - Posted 11/26/13 @10:47PM by Rushit69 [contact]

Geddy is cool but I think that dude from Shinedown would better suit their sound
#48 - Posted 11/26/13 @9:44PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Geddy is Rush!!!!
#47 - Posted 11/26/13 @9:36PM by Rob [contact]

Guest singers for Rush.

Really?

There's only one Geddy Lee!

Fucking crazy talk!
#46 - Posted 11/26/13 @8:57PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

HYF-Open Secrets
T4E-Time&Motion
VT-Ceiling Unlimited(although seen it)or Freeze
#45 - Posted 11/26/13 @8:31PM by cagster [contact]

The DVD is awesome, favorite tracks are Carnies and Wheres My Thing.
It would be fun to see what they would do with Broon at this time but it is not a must, CA is one of my favorites.
I am in with Anthem and would love anything from G/P.
Love Geds voice so a different singer would be tough to take but if they did something like that they would make sure it was good.
#44 - Posted 11/26/13 @5:08PM by Fear [contact]

#23

Those are 3 of my favorite Rush songs!