Alex Lifeson talks drugs, religion and other heavy topics in new Classic Rock magazine interview

Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:14AM

WELCOME ! Please Leave a comment

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
20 items per page (10 50 100 ), Sorting by newest first (oldest first)
#107 - Posted 10/11/13 @7:25AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

One wonders if Alex is just goofing around also, just f#*king with the interviewer or just throwing shit out there to see what reaction it will get.I mean the dude has one serious whacked out sense of humour. Remember the S&A tourbook where they usually talk about their gear, but Alex does an interview with himself.F#*KED UP!!! Ya now that I'm thinking back to that, he probably is on all sorts of drugs...forget it.
#106 - Posted 10/10/13 @5:04PM by random_sample [contact]

#105- I disagree with your assessment of Alex mentioning Ecstasy. If anyone wants to "blame" someone, maybe you should blame the dork who interviewed Alex and asked him "what's the best drug you ever did?" Alex answered the question. This isn't Justin Beiber we're talking about, here. Most Rush fans are older, grown up. Yeah, there are younger Rush fans, but Rush are pretty damn squeaky clean. It's not Rush's job ,to be a role model or parent to kids (other than their own). That's my take on it, anyway.
(note: I have never tried ecstasy, personally..and don't have any desire to)
#105 - Posted 10/10/13 @2:33PM by steve k

Here's my 2 cents regarding the Ecstasy comment: I thought it was wildly inappropriate and irresponsible. It wasn't as though he was discussing smoking a joint or having a drink too many. 'E' is a potent drug that I've seen ruin and alter lives permanently. Treating it with such a lack of thought that younger fans may be reading this interview is in my world just a stupid thing to say. Is an open endorsement of meth or cocaine next? It doesn't change my feeling for the band at all and quite frankly I've never involved myself in the personalities of the people in the band, because quite frankly, what if I don't like them? However, at the end of the day, I think maybe 40 years of having his ass kissed and ego stroked has deprived him a bit a of the real world. And in the real world, there are consequences to our action - both good and bad. His endorsement of the drug was a bad move. Period. If it mattered at all, I would express my disappointment, but it doesn't.
#104 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:33PM by Hill

No love for "Good News First". Hmm, I don't understand that. I think it has one of Rush's better choruses, very melodic. I rather like that one.

While we are on the subject of worst songs (at least on S&A), the worst has to be "We hold on". Devoid of any melody, there's something very banal about it musically.
#103 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:32PM by random_sample [contact]

#102- Is that some kind of riddle?
#102 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:03PM by mitch18ss [contact]

If all Rush fans were polled on their favorite Rush songs and also their least favorite, I wonder which list would be first to include every Rush song.
#101 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:53PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Not a big fan of Neurotica either but love Good New First.
#100 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:45PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

"Neurotica" used to really bug me.Haven't listened to it for years. Have to listen to it again and see if it chaps my ass or turns my crank.
#99 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:13PM by MGRushFan

Oh god, just listened to "good news first" to see what the hubbub was about. Horrifically bad song. I agree....this ranks up there with Tai Shan.
#98 - Posted 10/8/13 @11:38AM by conniemack99 [contact]

Yeah, wow, I didn't realize how many people don't like Good News First. It is actually my favorite song on Snakes and Arrows. Totally unique sound, vocally and instrumentally --- very non-Rush. I love the whole guitar solo section and the lyrics are very cool and interesting.
#97 - Posted 10/8/13 @9:05AM by MGRushFan

Just checked out annihilators timebomb. Pretty cool in an old school motorhead-y kinda way.
#96 - Posted 10/8/13 @8:58AM by MGRushFan

Check out my soundcloud at www.soundcloud.com/kingsoultron. I had a song called Timebomb too. I think its the third one from the top.

Will check out annihilator later today.
#95 - Posted 10/8/13 @8:56AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Just listened to "Make Total Destroy" by Periphery. Kind of reminds me of Mudvayne,Meshuggah,Avenged Sevenfold all in one song.
I stumbled upon a band called Annihilator (which is more good ol' straight ahead heavy metal) and it was a song called "Time Bomb" that caught my attention. Listened to several songs of theirs and they're all pretty good.
#94 - Posted 10/8/13 @8:16AM by MGRushFan

Phideaux will do that. Listen to "the search for terrestrial life" if you want to have a song creep on you. Waiting for the axe is the first song off #7, which is a full on concept album, so it's just one part of about 20 songs. Enjoy!

BTW Jupe, I was chillin with Brian Slagel for a brief moment at Metallica's freinds and family movie screening a couple weeks ago, and he turned me onto a band called Periphery. Much heavier than Deaux, more like Porcupine Tree. I liked some of their stuff. You may too.
#93 - Posted 10/7/13 @10:25PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Listened to "Tempest of Mutiny" & "Waiting For The Axe To Fall" today. It's growing on me man!!
#92 - Posted 10/7/13 @9:23PM by MGRushFan

#88, where you been man? Jupe and I have been message board friends now for a couple weeks.
#91 - Posted 10/7/13 @9:23PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#88- Hey mg and I have had lots of civilized chats about drummers,bands etc.It's all good.
#89- For me with "Good News First" it's mostly Ged's singing that grates on my nerves. The music is o.k. In fact there's a few tunes on S&A where the vocals seem to bother me. Not sure why, because on CA none of the vocals bug me except for the last "turn around and say goodbye" when the music cuts out and it's just Ged there.
#90 - Posted 10/7/13 @7:43PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#89 - I agree with you, I didn't think your original comment at #19 was (gasp!) a strawman argument. The original context was a direct question to Alex: "Do you believe in God?" to which Alex simply replied "No." You expanded on that by explaining (in your own special way) that you think the existence of supernatural beings is highly improbable. It wasn't a strawman, it was sarcasm. If the original question to Alex was "Do you think religion is bad?" then that would be a completely different story. But that wasn't the topic.

You could have just limited your comment to why you don't believe in God, but you had the nerve to be diplomatic and acknowledge some of the very good things that come out of religion.

So the way I see it, deslock said he agreed with Alex and his dad that God (as commonly defined in western culture) does not exist, and then he made an ancillary positive comment expressing admiration for religion's effect on charity and community. But then Homey misrepresented deslock's argument by characterizing it as a disbelief in religion. Homey refuted this superficial fallacious argument and then loudly and conspicuously celebrated his false victory. Deslock didn't use a Strawman.... Homey did!

I found it funny and ironic that the person accusing deslock of using a Strawman argument was using a Strawman argument himself. Is that kind of like "Whoever smelt it dealt it"?
#89 - Posted 10/7/13 @6:14PM by deslock [contact]

> #69 - Posted 10/7/13 @9:01AM by Homey M Holmes
>
> Dude! Seriously? I'm sure there's a corresponding Latin term for "changing
> what I said in an effort to deny I said what I said and then doubling down
> again when I get called on it."
>
> Since you obviously didn't look at the link I provided, here's the wikipedia
> definition:

Yes, seriously. I read the wikipedia strawman article... in fact I almost quoted it in my first reply to you to disprove your point, but I thought that might be rude.

Reread your own post about the definition of a strawman argument, go read some examples of actual strawman arguments, and then reread my previous posts. If you still think my original post was a strawman argument, then we'll just have to agree to disagree (I hate that phrase, but we're not making any headway here).

Back to the topic, I don't get why so many hate on Good News First. I like that song.
#88 - Posted 10/7/13 @5:15PM by Rusty Shackleford

Whoa, I get on here and jupe and mg are conversing in a civilized manner.

It must be Lance's fault...him and his salad bar.

link
Leave a comment | Back to top

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
20 items per page (10 50 ), Sorting by newest first (oldest first)

Login to post your comment

You must login to post comments. If you do not have an account you can create one for free at this link.