Rush 2112 Deluxe Edition release open thread

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 4:01PM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#68 - Posted 12/28/12 @6:07AM by Yellek Under Pressure [contact]

The live cuts rock hard! I think it's the best live recording of TOS I've ever heard. The comic book is fun and humorous too.
#67 - Posted 12/24/12 @6:07PM by rdovale [contact]

I'm a little disappointed I was hoping this was like the Signals DVD from Sector 3. Listening to the surround sound of Signals is like a whole new album, you hear new and different sounds.. Unfortunately, 2112 is just listening to better quality (remastered). I recommend everyone getting the Signals DVD, you will not regret it!
#66 - Posted 12/21/12 @11:35AM by irishguyincc [contact]

I would be interested in reading some reviews of this from owners. My copy of 2112 was recently ruined so I was thinking about purchasing this but am not sure whether to go with the DVD or BluRay version. I would love to hear from some owners of both.
#65 - Posted 12/20/12 @9:06PM by What-A-Rush

#62-"There is only one motive-to make as much money as possible". That's right-FOR UNIVERSAL RECORDS-first and foremost! Thank you for responding. It's always great to read comments both PRO AND CON about all things Rush!
#64 - Posted 12/20/12 @3:34PM by daryllh [contact]

#48

No it doesn't. This release has a different bar code than the original.
#63 - Posted 12/20/12 @12:12PM by #1rushfan [contact]

Has anybody noticed any sound problems on the blue-ray 2112 release?
At the end of some songs the volume is fading out and then jumps up a little louder for the last 1-2 seconds of the fade out. Also Geddy's vocal mix seems to "drift" around the room as well as the volume level rises and lowers in some parts.
#62 - Posted 12/19/12 @6:47PM by CraigJ [contact]

#60 - "question the motives of Universal releasing it at this time" It's not questionable at all. There is only one motive - to make as much money as possible.
#61 - Posted 12/19/12 @3:17PM by Fish Eyelands [contact]

60- True, but it has been discussed to death.... and as long as no one's forcing anyone to re-buy anything, it's kind of a pointless discussion because it goes nowhere. Record companies put out remasters and re-remasters and re-re-remasters- it's what they do. It's called the music INDUSTRY.
#60 - Posted 12/19/12 @3:11PM by What-A-Rush

I'm in complete agreement with #4 and #5. Like 'Moving Pictures', '2112' DOES NOT NEED A REMIX! Furthermore, how many times can something be "remastered"? That said, the 1997 remasters were just fine. More accurately, this should be called RE-REMASTERED. In any event, this release is going to benefit Universal more than Rush, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Like the "deluxe" 'Moving Pictures' remix, I'm sure this will have similar sales but it won't be a significant amount. And in case anybody didn't know, ALL COMPACT DISCS ARE DIGITALLY REMASTERED, even the worst sounding ones! I respectfully disagree with #7's claim of people being "defensive" just because they don't want this particular "product". Like it or not, it is a legitimate beef to question the motives of Universal releasing it at this time. Sure, if you like it, buy it, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be open for discussion. I, for one, will pass on this. I'll stick to my out-of-date albums and 1997 "remasters". Enough said.
#59 - Posted 12/19/12 @1:23PM by bucklemyshoe [contact]

#57 - Bahahaha !!! thanks for the link man .... My daughter just loves 1D - I just got her tickets for Christmas for their show next July in T.O. (If you think Rush tickets are expensive, try getting teeny-bopper tickets)

She has also been to 4 Rush shows with me dating back to R30.

She will now be content is knowing that both bands can safely co-exist in her mind.

Too Classic - Thank again.
#58 - Posted 12/19/12 @1:06PM by jaeger [contact]

Tattoo? link
#57 - Posted 12/19/12 @12:40PM by Joe

go to TMZ.com There is a picture of a dude from One Direction getting a tatoo wearing a Presto T-Shirt
#56 - Posted 12/19/12 @11:50AM by Fish Eyelands [contact]

37- Yes the Blu Ray/DVD plays the entire album with the illustrated cells from the comic book coming in on time with the music. As for the comic book, I initially assumed it would only be the 2112 story, but it features every song. APTB and Twilight Zone are particularly cool, especially the latter- being a fan of the original show! Something For Nothing is great because it alludes to the Roll The Bones and Signals album covers as well as 2112. I know this is probably a one time deal, but it would be great to see future comic book illustrations for By-Tor, Rivendell, The Necromancer, TFOL, Cygnus X-1 Books 1 & 2, Circumstances, The Trees, AFTK, Xanadu, Closer To The Heart, Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Jacob's Ladder, Red Barchetta, Witch Hunt, and all of Clockwork Angels!

38- You are wise beyond your years. I too would prefer a regular tour promoting an entire new album to another R(add year) tour. I mean these guys only have so many albums and tours left in them. I would rather have more new music than retrospectives- they've done enough of that with the R30 and Time Machine tours. That said, if they so choose to do an R40 tour, I will be there...
#55 - Posted 12/19/12 @11:14AM by CraigJ [contact]

#50 - I smirk when people talke about the best in a world of subjective measurement. There is no best musician. There are only really good ones, and favorites. Best / better only applies in matters of objective measurement.
#54 - Posted 12/19/12 @11:08AM by CraigJ [contact]

I'd like to take this opportunity to complain loudly about VIP Nation's handling of concert swag. I saw the band on 11/25. 12/19 and not a peep. AAA+ for the tickets, D- for handling of the shirts, etc.

Really, I'd have preferred to pay $25 less for the tickets and no swag, because I don't really care about that stuff. But the point is they made me pay for it, and I want what I paid for.

Lame.
#53 - Posted 12/19/12 @10:20AM by jaeger [contact]

Noticing what sounds like the influence of King Crimson's _In the Court of the Crimson King_ on Tears. How did I miss it all these years? (A dude on Amazon agrees: KC cleared the path and RUSH made it popular, with spectacular results. The song "tears" is the throw back to the first couple of King Crimson Albums, and the rest of 2112 builds on the promise of KC's Red album.)
#52 - Posted 12/19/12 @10:03AM by jaeger [contact]

Attention all execs of the micro-managing corporations, Rush has assumed control!
#51 - Posted 12/19/12 @9:53AM by jaeger [contact]

Sure, I see what he's saying, but I beg to disagree. :)
Just got my 2112 Deluxe edition. The music alone is worth every cent! It also makes me realize that CA could have been yet better if Ged's singing had the passionate fire it had recording 2112!
#50 - Posted 12/19/12 @9:03AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I remember an interview or it may have been in one of his books or DVD's but Neil said he is always really embarassed when someone refers to him as "world's best drummer" and went on to say "heck I could name 50 drummers off the top of my head who I think are better that me". Neil being humble? The problem is there are so many different types of music and styles of drumming it's difficult to try and declare one person as best drummer. I recall watching a video of Carter Beauford drumming and was blown away by his skill.
#49 - Posted 12/19/12 @7:35AM by jaeger [contact]

#28. That's just crazy. Anyway, who cares who is the best drummer in a given country. We're interested in the best in the world. We know well who that is (in rock, anyway). :)