Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Willowdale Lee Lifeson Art Park naming gets approval
10:26AM EST | comments (9) |

According to Classic Rock magazine, the proposal to name a new, arts-themed park in the Toronto neighborhood of Willowdale the Lee Lifeson Art Park - after 2 of Willowdale's most famous residents - received the green light by the North York community council yesterday, as expected. The Toronto Star recently spoke with Geddy Lee about the proposed art park and here's what he had to say:

... "I know my mom is very happy!" ... "We met with the park architects and were really impressed with the thought and plans they have for it," ... "[Willowdale] is where I met my best friend and bandmate," ... "We were humbly honoured by the suggestion to name the park after us." ... "On tour and during our travels, ... we get to visit and enjoy so many parks around the world and really appreciate having that communal green space that is so important to a vibrant city."

The idea was first put forth at a consultation meeting held on April 22, 2014 by Councillor John Fillon and was then formally recommended by the Toronto parks committee on July 17th:

... Early designs for the area include art installations, a collaborative performance space and even a small bandshell for "acoustic concerts," according to [Filion], who first hatched the tribute plan two years ago. "I was standing around one night with a fellow music lover trying to think of somebody who had grown up in Willowdale who was a famous artist or musician," Filion said. "We both came up with the name Geddy Lee almost simultaneously." The councillor contacted Lee with the idea, and he immediately got on board - albeit with one condition. "He said he was interested and honoured, but also suggested it be named after Alex Lifeson, too," Filion said. ...

Work is slated to begin on the park early next year with the official opening planned for late 2015 or early 2016.

Related Posts:
[Geddy Lee on the proposed Willowdale Lee Lifeson Art Park]
[Update on proposed Lee Lifeson Art Park in Toronto's Willowdale neighborhood]
[New arts park in Toronto's Willowdale community to be named after Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson]

Comments

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#9 - Posted 8/13/14 @3:02PM by CraigJ [contact]

#8 - hey buddy, needs more cowbell. Can you get on that?

Will there be a Tim Horton's kiosk in the park? Would be cool to sit and jam Y-Y-Zed with a cruller and a cup of weak coffee...
#8 - Posted 8/13/14 @2:29PM by WatchmakersDadsDadsDadWatch [contact]

Fella's this is great news! I gotta tell you - this whole Lee Lifeson thing is dynamite and gonna be a solid gold investment in the green space of the vibrant yet reflective city or Toronto. I was just talking to my friend Jerry Stiller about this and he told me, "Chris - its great, but where's my man Dirk?" He's like that, you know?

Anyway here's a solid gold track I produced to play for the dedication of this magnificient green space:

#7 - Posted 8/13/14 @1:10PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

@2..I made that same observation in an earlier thread. However, I don't think you have to wait for the future for the "Who is" question...I bet most ppl under 25 don't know who Rush is, unfortunately.

It definitely is missing some type of punctuation Jupe. XD
#6 - Posted 8/13/14 @1:04PM by Rob1855 [contact]

They passed a noble law!
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,axe,and saw!
#5 - Posted 8/13/14 @1:04PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am here. What a wonderful tribute to two of the most gifted and humble people on the earth.
#4 - Posted 8/13/14 @12:47PM by jupeguy [contact]

And if we get enough people in on it, we can say that we're having a mass debate.
#3 - Posted 8/13/14 @12:45PM by jupeguy [contact]

Maybe we should have a debate on whether or not the two names should be separated with a forward slash,solidus,virgule,diagonal (whatever you call it) or a hyphen. Just like the colon debate from the last thread.
#2 - Posted 8/13/14 @11:50AM by Steverae [contact]

I hope they can get a bit more descriptive with the name of the park. In the future I can see a young mother taking her kids to play there some morning. I can just hear it now:

"Mommy, who was this guy Lee Lifeson anyway??"
#1 - Posted 8/13/14 @10:38AM by mrdriven [contact]

A signal turning green! Woohoo!

RUSH ON!!!