Friday, June 27, 2014

Updates and other random Rush stuff
11:49AM EST | comments (48) |

Clockwork Angels graphic novel #3, standard coverSummer is in full swing, and Rush is taking a break, so there's not much in the way of Rush news to report this week. Probably the biggest item of note was this past Wednesday's release of the third of six issues of the graphic novel version of Clockwork Angels. In addition to the standard cover that is available in comic and book stores, there is an exclusive, limited edition cover available via BOOM! Studios and the Rush Backstage Club. The first issue of the graphic novel was released back on March 19th and there were a number of different covers and subscription options made available as described in this post. The second issue was released on April 30th and is also available in both the standard and limited edition covers. According to a Boom! Studios representative, the graphic novel is supposed to be on a monthly release schedule but has seen several production delays.

Alex Lifeson and Steve MorseMusicRadar.com posted an article earlier this week where they asked 40 well-known guitarists to name another guitarist who they count among their favorites and who is especially inspirational to them. Alex Lifeson named Dixie Dregs founder and current Deep Purple guitarist Steve Morse as a guitarist that he particularly admires:

... "I've come across many players over the years and I've learned a lot from a lot of players, but I think one of the most underrated players - and he's respected, but he just didn't get the recognition he deserved - is Steve Morse.

"I remember when we were playing with The Steve Morse band and he'd be there when we were there at soundcheck, at three or four o'clock in the afternoon, and I'd just watch him and he'd be wandering around the hall playing and warming up.

"They'd always play a different song every night for their soundcheck and he was just such an amazing player. He has such an amazing ability. I always thought that he should have been huge in whatever he did. He was definitely successful in whatever bands he worked in, but I don't think that he ever had the kind of recognition that he so deserved. So I'd have to say Steve Morse."

And speaking of Alex Lifeson, Satchel of the hair metal parody band Steel Panther was recently interviewed for MusicRadar.com and revealed Steel Panther's 10 Tips for Reaching Metal Glory. Coming in at #5 on his list was the very sage advice, Listen to Rush, and he had some kind words of praise for Lerxst:

"Lately I've been listening to Alex Lifeson from Rush. He's great. He's got a great tone. It's not heavy metal, it's more progressive rock, but everybody knows Rush. He's a great guitar player. Jeff Beck is great, he's not heavy metal but he's a great player with a really cool tone. He can do a lot with just one note and make it sound really cool."

Audio Fidelity's SACD version of Rush's Presto is slated for release this coming Tuesday, July 1st and is currently available for pre-order. This will be the 3rd Rush SACD release from Audio Fidelity; they've already released versions of both Counterparts and Hemispheres. Like these 2 previous releases, the Presto SACD was mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. You can pre-order your copy at this location.

Rush ReDISCovered LP box setRush celebrated the 40th anniversary of the release of their 1974 debut album with a special Rush ReDISCovered LP box set containing a re-mastered version of the album on 200g vinyl which released a couple of months ago. Prog magazine just opened up voting for their 2014 Progressive Music Awards and the box set is up for The Storm Thorgerson Grand Design Award. You can go vote for it at this location. And speaking of Prog magazine, they are also asking their readers to help determine the 100 Greatest Prog Albums Of All Time for an upcoming issue. They are asking folks to list their top 10 prog albums along with a sentence for each choice. For all the details visit the Prog magazine website (thanks RushFanForever).

Ready Player One is the critically-acclaimed, 2011 sci-fi book from author, self-described seventies/eighties protonerd and Rush fan Ernest Cline. Ready Player One makes reference to several bands/songs of the '70s/'80s including Rush, with a particularly significant reference to the 2112 album. The book is now one step closer to becoming a film with the news that Warner Brothers has hired comic book movie writer Zak Penn to rewrite the script so it can start being shopped around to a number of interested directors. It'll be interesting to see how many (if any at all) of the Rush references will make the cut in the final script. Thanks to Eric at Power Windows for the heads up.

Music Times posted their list of 7 Bands Whose Drummers Are Their Most Famous Member earlier this week and Rush came in at #1:

When a drummer becomes a band's most famous member, it's usually because they also sing, or were previously famous, or have a wild life off stage. However, Neil Peart has become the most famous member of Rush simply out of his sheer talents as a drummer, and nothing more. He also writes the band's lyrics, but only Rush fans and music journalists really know that.

The World Cup security team embarassed themselves this past week by inadvertently revealing their WiFi password after a photograph taken inside the security center, and showing the password on a whiteboard in the background, appeared in the newspaper Correio Braziliense. Written on the whiteboard was the SSID WORLD CUP with a password b5a2112014. Although the password is leet speak for Brazil 2014, Rush fans took note of the 2112 portion of the password. You can check out the photograph here.

This upcoming Sunday, June 29th is the 10th anniversary of the release of Rush's 2004, 8-song covers album/EP Feedback. The album features covers by 1960s-era bands that were influential to Rush such as The Yardbirds, The Who and Buffalo Springfield. The subsequent tour in support of the album was called the R30: 30th Anniversary Tour and here's the band's performance of The Who's The Seeker (track #4 on Feedback) from the R30 DVD:

That's all folks! Have a great weekend!

Comments

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#48 - Posted 7/6/14 @5:09PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#45 - Posted 7/4/14 @10:42AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#28.

I do like Peter Gabriel's solo work also, just not his second self-titled album. As far as I am concerned, Peter Gabriel (3) (aka "Melt"), "So," Peter Gabriel (4) (aka "Security"), Peter Gabriel (1) (aka "Car"), "New Blood" and "Plays Live" are his greatest works. I have recently purchased "Peter Gabriel: Play" on DVD and "Secret World Live" on BluRay.

#30.

Thank you.

Otherwise, here was my list of 10 favorite "progressive rock" albums:

1. Rush: Exit... Stage Left (Yes, I know that I chose Rush's second live album as progressive rock's greatest work).

2. Yes: Close To The Edge (I had to think of one album where every song was an absolute masterpiece, I had considered "Tales From Topographic Oceans" also).

(After those two, in no particular order)

3. Genesis: Foxtrot (I had also considered "Nursery Cryme," or even "A Trick Of The Tail" as well
The Pound.")

4. Roxy Music: Avalon (One of "art rock's" greatest works). Would it have been too controversial, if I had chosen "All You Need Is Now" by Duran Duran, instead?

5. Gentle Giant: Free Hand (I could have also chosen "The Power And The Glory," "Octopus,"
copy of "Civilian" in the not too distant future).

8. Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

9. Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Trilogy (I know that I could have chosen "Tarkus," also).

10. Kansas: Leftoverture

Which groups did I not include: King Crimson, Supertramp, Renaissance, Asia, Camel, Caravan, Van deer Graaf Generator).

I was going to include King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King instead of ELP. (Even though 'I Talk To The Wind,' 'Epitaph' and 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' are amongst my favorite Crimson songs, I do not like the endless noodling on the second half of 'Moonchild' and I am not particularly crazy about '21st Century Schizoid Man.' I could have also chosen "Red," "Discipline," "Beat," "Three Of A Perfect Pair," "Vroom" and "Thrak" instead but never ever would I have even remotely chosen "Lizard!").

I had also considered Supertramp, because I like quite a few of their recordings. If they had asked for twelve I would have also included Renaissance, as well.
#47 - Posted 7/6/14 @4:58PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Drat,

I had written "Freehand," not "Free Hand;" shame on me.
#46 - Posted 7/6/14 @7:04AM by jupeguy [contact]

Haven't picked anything yet Craig. Been too busy this past week to check out any of the suggestions.Hopefully I will have some time today.
#45 - Posted 7/4/14 @10:42AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#28.

#30.

Thank you.

Otherwise, here was my list of 10 favorite "progressive rock" albums:

(After those two, in no particular order)

3. Genesis: Foxtrot ( I had also considered "Nursery Cryme," or even "A Trick Of The Tail" as well. Although I do like 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight,' 'I Know What I Like' and 'Firth Of Fifth,' I have never been crazy about and do not understand other individuals preference of "Selling England By The Pound.")

4. Roxy Music: Avalon (One of "art rock's greatest works").

5. Gentle Giant: Freehand (I could have also chosen "The Power And The Glory," "Octopus," "Acquiring The Taste," "Gentle Giant," or even "Three Friends" as well. I would like to purchase a copy of "Civilian" in the not too distant future.

6. Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here (I had also considered "Dark Side Of The Moon," but due to those vocals on 'The Great Gig In The Sky,' "Dark Side Of The Moon" is not my favorite recording).

7. The Moody Blues: To Our Children's Children's Children (I had also considered "Days Of Future Passed," "In Search Of The Lost Chord," "Long Distance Voyager" and "Strange Times").

8. Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

9. Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Trilogy

10. Kansas: Leftoverture

4. Gentle Giant: Freehand
5. Roxy Music: Avalon
#44 - Posted 7/3/14 @7:00PM by CraigJ [contact]

So, Jupe, what did you end up with?
#43 - Posted 7/2/14 @2:10PM by cpb [contact]

I will also list ten albums that I think Rush fans should own, even if they are not PROPERLY "progressive", because they are genius and I love them and want everyone else to...

1) Radiohead - OK Computer (as endorsed by Neil Peart himself!)
2) Tori Amos - Under The Pink ("Yes, Anastasia" is over 9 minutes and was covered by Dream Theater, so...)
3) The National - High Violet
4) Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes
5) Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet (so richly textured; a brilliant expression.)
6) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (more New York hip-hop you'll actually like.)
7) Joni Mitchell - Blue
8) Depeche Mode - 101
9) The Cure - Disintegration
10) Phish - Rift (Junta is a more technical album, but Rift is so seamless and brilliant, provided you ignore the rubbish lyrics.)

I could go on, and undoubtedly will. But not now.
#42 - Posted 7/2/14 @10:18AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#34.

It is interesting that you had mentioned "Terrapin Station" by The Grateful Dead, I happen to like that epic quite a bit. Of course, I am familiar with "Tarkus" and "Meddle" also. I was simply trying to elucidate how difficult it is to pick the 10 best "progressive rock" albums, however.
#41 - Posted 7/1/14 @2:04PM by CraigJ [contact]

2nd vote for Steve Vai.

Also, Jeff Beck. link

And here's some love for Alan Parsons Project: link
#40 - Posted 7/1/14 @1:43PM by Ripper62 [contact]

Or one of his Protégés Steve Vai for that matter. Not his whole catalog but there are several really good tunes like these two.

#39 - Posted 7/1/14 @12:49PM by CraigJ [contact]

Joe Satriani's entire catalog is recommended if you don't have any of that. Try Time Machine...

Depeche Mode's Violator is also highly recommended.

Can't go wrong with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass... link