Friday, June 20, 2014

Updates and other random Rush stuff
1:01PM EST | comments (28) |

Geddy and AlexLast Thursday all three members of Rush were awarded Honorary Doctorate of Music degrees from Nipissing University in North Bay, Ontario. The band had planned to attend the ceremony but unfortunately their plane was forced to return to Toronto due to inclement weather. They then attempted to accept the awards via video, but that didn't work either due to technical issues. However, both Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson did manage to record their acceptance speeches and post the video online (Geddy, Alex). Both Geddy and Alex hit the interview circuit late last week to discuss the honor and all the difficulties they encountered in trying to get there. There's this CBC Radio interview with Alex Lifeson, two separate radio interviews with Geddy and Alex from KISS 100.5, and this short interview with Geddy from the North Bay Nugget:

... [It is] very cool, I like it a lot," says Lee. "I can razz my son about it, who is a real doctor. He did it the hard way." ... "I'm very disappointed we weren't able to come," says Lee. "I was really looking forward to it. We asked 'why can't you drop us off at Sudbury?', but the pilot said we couldn't. By the time we got back it was too late for us to drive up." Lee also said was most disappointed about not being able to mingle with the students. ...

There's also this YouTube video of the Rush portion of the ceremony. So far Neil Peart hasn't posted any kind of acceptance speech, but I imagine he will at some point.

Clockwork Angels graphic novel #3, standard coverThe third of six issues of the graphic novel version of Clockwork Angels is now available for pre-order and will release this coming Wednesday, June 25th. In addition to the standard cover that is available in comic and book stores, there is an exclusive, limited edition cover available via BOOM! Studios and the Rush Backstage Club. The first issue of the graphic novel was released back on March 19th and there were a number of different covers and subscription options made available as described in this post. The second issue was released on April 30th and is also available in both the standard and limited edition covers. According to a Boom! Studios representative, the graphic novel is supposed to be on a monthly release schedule but has seen several production delays.

Audio Fidelity's SACD version of Rush's Presto is slated for a July 1st release and is currently available for pre-order. This will be the 3rd Rush SACD release from Audio Fidelity; they've already released versions of both Counterparts and Hemispheres. Like these 2 previous releases, the Presto SACD was mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. You can pre-order your copy at this location.

The new book from veteran music writer Max Mobley titled Rush FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Rock's Greatest Power Trio was released earlier this month. Mobley has written for a number of music magazines including Crawdaddy! and Premier Guitar, and has interviewed Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson twice. He's also a huge Rush fan and has seen countless Rush shows dating back to the A Farewell to Kings tour. The book comes in at 250 pages and includes a foreword from Donna Halper. You can check out a copy of the introduction in this post and read a couple of 5-star reviews of the book at Goodreads.com. Order your copy of Rush FAQ at this location.

We learned earlier this week that Alex Lifeson is one of the many Canadian celebrities that will be participating in the Smilezone Foundation's second annual charity golf tournament at Rattlesnake Point Golf Club next month on Monday, July 14th (Bastille Day!). You can get all the details in this article from insideHalton.com. Alex Lifeson is an avid golfer and is a part owner of Coppinwood Golf Club. For more information or to register for the event, visit www.smilezone.com. And speaking of Alex Lifeson and his charitable contributions, Alex is one of the 50 Canadians featured in the The Kidney Foundation of Canada's 50th Anniversary magazine. Alex shares his personal story of his father's struggles with kidney disease. You can read the magazine online at this location; Alex is featured on page 9 (thanks RushFanForever).

Return to Zero bar sceneReturn to Zero is a Lifetime original movie that first premiered on the network last month back on May 17th. The film is a drama written and directed by Sean Hanish and is based on a true story, where a successful couple named Aaron (Paul Adelstein) and Maggie (Minnie Driver) are expecting their first child, but their life gets devastated as they find that the child is dead in the mother's womb. About 40 minutes into the film the character Aaron is out at a bar with his female coworker Dana (Sarah Jones). Their conversation turns to a discussion about sex, which includes a bizarre reference to Geddy Lee. You can read the a transcript of the exchange in this post and watch it online at the Lifetime website. The Geddy Lee reference occurs at about the 40-minute mark and runs for a couple minutes.

Projection, Lights and Staging News (PLSN) announced earlier this week that longtime Rush lighting director Howard Ungerleider will be the 2014 recipient of the Parnelli Visionary Award. He'll be presented with the Award at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on November 22nd. Congratulations Howard!

Reader RushMuppet let me know that Animal from the Muppets has his own official Spotify playlist and one of the featured tracks is Rush's YYZ. Animal is the drummer of Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem, the fictional band from The Muppet Show.

Earlier this week WatchMojo.com posted a video where they run down their top 10 Rush songs. Not surprisingly, Tom Sawyer tops their list at #1. You can watch the countdown video at this location.

The Guardian's The Observer posted their list of The 10 best ... metal bands today and Rush made the cut at #4:

Polar opposites to AC/DC's monomania, Canadian trio Rush have ceaselessly evolved throughout their 40-year career, tend towards intricate musical arrangements, and have never shied away from Big Concepts in their lyrics. Indeed, the premise underlying the title track of their 1976 breakthrough album, 2112, so closely resembles the plot of Anthem by neocon poster girl Ayn Rand that NME denounced the band as "crypto-fascists". As much prog-rock as metal in the 70s, they alienated some of their more puritanical fans the following decade with their extensive use of synthesisers. Frontman Geddy Lee has such a distinctively high-pitched singing voice that Pavement once wondered whether "he speaks like an ordinary guy". Apparently so.

Rush ReDISCovered LP box setMax Webster frontman/founder and Q107 DJ Kim Mitchell posted a video to the Q107 website Monday where he unboxes Rush's recently released Rush ReDISCovered LP Box Set which celebrates the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush's debut album. He's been playing tracks off the LP on-air all this past week. Max Webster were early touring and label mates of Rush, and collaborated with the band for the track Battle Scar off of Max Webster's 1980 album Universal Juveniles. You can check out the video below or on YouTube at this location. If you haven't already, you can order your copy of Rush ReDISCovered here.

That's all for this week. Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#28 - Posted 6/25/14 @8:12AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Has anybody picked up a copy of "Rush FAQ by Max Mobley," yet? I had picked up my copy at Barnes & Noble after dinner last night.

#19 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:22AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I was listening to "Test For Echo" yesterday morning, from the 1989-2007 Studio Albums box set. Do I think that it is the worst album from Rush's catalog? Absolutely not!

I am still really looking forward to the Audiofidelity release of "Presto" on SACD. I am hoping that, in their infinite wisdom, Audio Fidelity will release "Power Windows," "Permanent Waves" and of course, "Exit... Stage Left" in the SACD, or Gold format within the next couple of years.

Since, I had never purchased The Sectors Box sets, I do not have any idea how some of those recordings had compared to the earlier remasters; did anybody else purchase them and what were your thoughts on this particular subject?

#11. Thank you for the kind comments.

#13. Yes, it is an absolute masterpiece.

they are listed at #4, placing Rush and AC/DC on the same list is completely unwarranted. That is, please do not place Rush in the same sentence, ever. Plus, I had found the
commentator's comment about Rush being "crypto fascists" to be extremely offensive.

studio albums go: "Kansas," "Leftoverture" and "Point of Know Return" are probably my favorites.

Here are my ratings on the early Kansas albums:

"Kansas" *****
"Song For America" ****
"Masque" **** 1/2
"Leftoverture" *****
"Point Of Know Return" *****

Speaking of which. I was slightly disappointed that Sirius XM does not have a separate "progressive rock" channel. I had been scanning through the channels and has found 'The Trees' being played on "Ozzy's Boneyard" and 'Close To The Edge' being played on "Deep Tracks." would you subscribe to this service if they had a "prog rock," or a Rush channel?

#15. Bwahahahahahaha, R.O.F.L.W.A.D.R. @ that one.
#27 - Posted 6/23/14 @4:34PM by bravest_face [contact]

I have to get the RUSH 74'box set, those songs were great to listen to when I was a kid, I loved Rush 74' and Fly By Night, great title for a sophomore release, by the way. To bad we don't support music like we use to. I feel guilty, every thing is more expensive now because of it. I didn't even buy Clockwork Angels, I mean, I tried to by the digital version but the site didn't take my credit card. I think I'll get the vinyl, when I get me a record player.
#26 - Posted 6/23/14 @12:35PM by michinman [contact]

Sorry Ed. My silliness is over. RUUUUSSSHHHH!!
#25 - Posted 6/23/14 @12:24PM by michinman [contact]

#24 OK Let me be clear...

1) Beer (Molson Canadian) A++
2) Wine (Cab Sauv, Shiraz) A+
3) Vodka/Tonic (2 oz. Absolut/tonic water) A
4) Coffee (Tim Horton's small, 1 cream, 2 sugar) B+
5) Water (tap - filtered by Brita) C- (A++ after an evening with 1 through 3)
#24 - Posted 6/23/14 @10:56AM by CraigJ [contact]

#22 - Well? How 'bout it? Tap or bottled? Flat or fizzy? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

#23 - I don't see malt liquor on your list - you aren't keepin' it real.
#23 - Posted 6/23/14 @9:04AM by michinman [contact]

Hey Jupe,

On that note is my (unbiased) list of favorite beverages in descending order:

Beer
Wine
Vodka/Tonic
Coffee
Water

Just thought everyone should know...
#22 - Posted 6/23/14 @7:38AM by jupeguy [contact]

I just drank a glass of water, and I am thinking that maybe later I'll have another one. Will keep you updated if anything happens.
#21 - Posted 6/22/14 @1:44PM by zebec [contact]

(Unrelated, but then totally relative) Yesterday saw the Lemon/Tree Fest here in the emerging and trendy Leslieville neighbourhood of Toronto. A local politician lady sponsores these annually at Leslie Grove parkette. This year's theme combined lemons and trees, whatever. I used to teach at the local school and like to drop by at these social affairs, if only to catch the young rock bands always featured playing live--they are damn good for 16 yrs old, some even younger. Departing the fest, I passed by a 30-something couple proudly pushing their baby in a stroller, en route to catch the band's final song. It was Julian, Geddy's son, his wife plus new son Finnian. I almost turned to Julian to introduce myself and explain how 2 of my younger colleagues teaching at that school were actually Julian's old classmates from high school. One was a guy who played on the baseball team with Julian while the other was a beautiful blonde schoolmate who'd also been close to Selena, Neil's late daughter. For what its worth, one of the two Toronto recording studios where Clockwork Angels was recorded is located just 2 blocks away. We live a block away from Julian and I suspect that one day we'll bump into each other and have a chat. I am done. The end.
#20 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:32AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Yeah by the way for those of you, in the state of Arizona, who love delicious Japanese food, here is that Hana Tokyo link:

#19 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:22AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Since, I had never purchased The Sectors Box sets, so I do not have any idea how some of those recordings had compared to the earlier remasters; did anybody else purchase them and what were your thoughts on this particular subject?

Sorry, I was in Sierra Vista yesterday, where it was at least 100 degrees, according to my car thermometer, replacing my 19th century model SUV with its 22nd century equivalent. I was having dinner at Hana Tokyo, which had consisted of Teppanyaki: Double Lobster, Calamari and Scallops and a Sierra Vista roll. In my honest opinion, Hana Tokyo is one of the best Japanese restaurants in the state of Arizona.

#11. Thank you for the kind comments.

#13. Yes, it is an absolute masterpiece.

#14. Yes, as I had reiterated previously, "Rush has never been a heavy metal band." Even though they are listed at #4, placing Rush and AC/DC on the same list is completely unwarranted, plus the commentators comment about Rush being "crypto fascists" is extremely offensive.

Regarding Kansas, I really like their first 5 albums and maybe "Monolith," "Power," "The Spirit Of Things," "Always Never The Same," "Device Voice Drum," various box set compilations, and their most recent BluRay concert with the Topeka Symphony orchestra. As far as my favorite Kansas studio albums go, "Kansas," "Leftoverture" and "Point of Know Return" are probably my favorites. Here are my ratings on the early Kansas albums:

"Kansas" *****
"Song For America" ****
"Masque" **** 1/2
"Leftoverture" *****
"Point Of Know Return" *****

#15. Bwahahahahahaha, R.O.F.L.W.A.D.R. @ that one.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3