Thursday, March 27, 2014

Rolling Stone Readers' Poll: 10 Greatest Rush Albums
10:03AM EST | comments (43) |

Rush albumsIn celebration of Alex Lifeson revealing plans for a 2015 Rush anniversary tour last week, the latest Rolling Stone Readers' Poll asked folks to vote for their 10 Greatest Rush Albums. The results were posted yesterday and you can check them out online here. The 10 albums in no particular order were Signals, Rush, Clockwork Angels, Counterparts, A Farewell to Kings, Grace Under Pressure, 2112, Power Windows, Moving Pictures and Hemispheres.

Comments

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#43 - Posted 3/29/14 @9:24AM by White haired uncle

Anyone know where I can get the, "Limited edition poster," without the art gold record. That poster is so cool.. but the record on top covers up to much of the art work.

Uncle out...
#42 - Posted 3/28/14 @10:19PM by OperationRush [contact]

#34 jupe, you nailed it!!
#41 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:40PM by What-A-Rush

I have to agree with those who said that 'Permanent Waves' was a glaring omission. That is DEFINITELY in the top 10 Rush albums of all time. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find 'Power Windows' make it, and DESERVEDLY so! Unquestionably a VERY close second for me, behind 'Moving Pictures' as the BEST Rush album of all time.

Of course, I'll always hold a special place for the first album as well. RS wasn't exactly kind to that album upon release in 1974 so it's cool to see it receive recognition today. Good stuff on there! Great comments everybody pro and con!
#40 - Posted 3/28/14 @6:20PM by Hill

I was happy to see Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows make the list....because, back in the 80's, Rush lost a lot of fans due to these records, because of keys, lets be honest.

I felt back then I was the only one around that liked those records.
#39 - Posted 3/28/14 @10:50AM by clockworkingman [contact]

#37. That is a very bold list. I can argue the merits of any Rush album, there is something I like about all of them. Nice to see Snakes and Arrows live and Clockwork Angels Live up so high...these are among my favorite of their live albums.

I'm also pleased to see how many people here rank Hold Your Fire in their top 10. Very cool! By no means my favorite Rush album, but I really get a lot of pleasure from listening to it when I'm in the right mood.
#38 - Posted 3/28/14 @10:20AM by Diego [contact]

In my opinion Moving Pictures and Power Windows are the two albums with the least amount of filler. For me, there are parts to the other albums that drag. Each note of MP and PW seems perfect. When listening to any other album, at some point along the way I hear something that sounds like it was forced in there to complete the song rather than produced from inspiration.

Favorite albums aside, I think from January 1980 to September 1982 was the greatest time frame for Rush. In 33 months they released PeW, MP, ESL, and Signals. Many fans have listed those as their favorites and they all came out in a short time span.
#37 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:49AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I have a differing opinion, having written about the music of Rush online for nearly the past 17 years. I happen to agree with Lamb Saag about "Exit... Stage Left."

Therefore, here is my list:

Greatest Rush (studio & live albums) from worst to best:

4. Power Windows
3. Roll The Bones
2. Clockwork Angels Tour
1. Exit... Stage Left

Posted by Enigmaticus on Wednesday, 01.29.14 @ 23:45pm
#36 - Posted 3/28/14 @9:43AM by Micky [contact]

#33- I find myself pretty much on that permanent wave length...:-)
#35 - Posted 3/28/14 @8:43AM by deslock [contact]

> #34 - Posted 3/28/14 @7:29AM by jupeguy
> With all due respect I think to rank S&A and RTB
> ahead of AFTK and 2112 is pure blasphemy.

I knew that'd ruffle someone's feathers :D

To me Snakes and Arrows is far better than the other three. RTB, AFTK, and 2112 are more-or-less tied for 10th place (RTB is less consistent than the other two, but Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing, and Ghost of a Chance are all superb).
#34 - Posted 3/28/14 @7:29AM by jupeguy [contact]

#23- With all due respect I think to rank S&A and RTB ahead of AFTK and 2112 is pure blasphemy.

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5