Saturday, March 1, 2014

Rush ReDISCovered debut album LP box set coming in April
2:11PM EST | comments (52) |

Rush ReDISCovered LP box setToday is the first day of March - the month that marks the 40th anniversary of the Moon Records release of Rush's debut album. The album was re-released on Mercury Records the following summer. Back in December we learned that Rush would be celebrating the anniversary with some kind of re-issue of the album, but little was known about the release until just today. On April 15th Rush will be releasing a special Rush ReDISCovered LP box set to celebrate the album's anniversary. From the Rush Backstage Club:

... This release features their debut vinyl album re-mastered with impeccable care at Abbey Road studios by Sean Magee, who has been previously responsible for all recent Beatles vinyl re-masters. The Re-discovered vinyl is encased in a 12 x 12 high quality box. Pressed on audio-phile 200 gram vinyl on the Direct Metal Mastering process, this is the highest quality vinyl currently available. This release contains a re-production of the original 1974 Canadian retail poster (only 500 were ever originally printed) and individual Moon Records publicity photos of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson & original drummer John Rutsey. This release also contains a first time ever Rush Family Tree, tracing origins of the band dating back to 1965 and a memorabilia collage of early Canadian and US gig ads, reviews, photos and the first ever Rush bio. ...

You can check out a photo of the box set contents here and pre-order your copy at this location. Thanks to robertrobyn for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
#52 - Posted 3/21/14 @6:56PM by Will Collier [contact]

So if anybody was keeping an eye on this thread, I got in a used copy the "deluxe edition" of Counterparts today, shipped over from Germany for a grand total of about $12. I would say "deluxe" is a stretch, but it is a neat riff on the original packaging. The CD tray plastic is gold, and as noted down the thread, the nut-and-bolt on the cover is embossed on the lid, and not printed in the middle of the black box on the liner card (I didn't figure this out until I removed the liner, it's basically an invisible change unless you know what you're looking for, but once you pull out the card it's pretty cool).

The original price sticker (DM 29.99) and a front sticker (directly on the lid plastic) reading "RUSH Counterparts Limited Edition with special CD Packaging" are still on, which is nice. The CD itself is the standard German pressing from 1993.

So thanks to flyingmelon53 for pointing out the existence of this sucker, I had never even heard of it before, it's a nice little addition to my Rush collection. There appear to be 2-3 more copies currently for sale at Discogs for about the same price if anybody else is interested.
#51 - Posted 3/5/14 @7:10AM by Will Collier [contact]

Very much doubt that the content is any different from the original CD release. Just gussied-up packaging.
#50 - Posted 3/4/14 @4:44PM by CraigJ [contact]

Is this version any different other than the artwork?
#49 - Posted 3/4/14 @3:37PM by Will Collier [contact]

Thanks, Lief, I just put in an order for the copy on sale there. Appreciate it...
#48 - Posted 3/4/14 @2:53PM by Leif [contact]

#42,43,44, etc. I have that edition of Counterparts. It was made in Germany, and only released in the EU (AFAIK).

Here is a description that I found on Discogs: "This version has the screw and nut artwork printed on the jewel case instead of the booklet. The booklet has just the black background. The CD tray comes in a golden colour. The booklet folds out to a page of 3 x 3 panel size."

Note that some of the images that can be found through that link look a bit weird, and doesn't really present the actual "real life" packaging in a very good way.
#47 - Posted 3/4/14 @1:34PM by Texasdog [contact]

The only place I saw the deluxe Counterparts edition was in Goldmine magazine (back when each edition was 80+ pages). The listing showed it was from Germany. I think it was $23.99?). Only reason I didn't order it was because I didn't know the merchant and didn't see confirmation of a Deluxe edition anywhere else (rats).

As far as the box set, the only possible problem I see is someone getting premium money on Ebay for a MOON RECORDS edition of the first album (since they've duplicated the original sticker on the latest money-grab). I hope it says REPRODUCTION.
#46 - Posted 3/3/14 @6:18PM by Will Collier [contact]

Interesting. I don't remember that at all. I was on TNMS when Counterparts came out, and I don't think there was any discussion about a deluxe edition. Certainly Tower Records in Austin didn't stock one, and they carried pretty much everything in those days.

Anybody else ever run across one?
#45 - Posted 3/3/14 @5:53PM by cpb [contact]

Das Kounterpartzen.

#41: If it doesn't then I'll
I'll
I'll

I SWEAR I'LL

hm

to be honest i won't take any action but i'll be annoyed.
#44 - Posted 3/3/14 @4:54PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

This is the original ad I was thinking of:

The ad references a limited edition CD with Deluxe packaging
#43 - Posted 3/3/14 @3:12PM by Will Collier [contact]

I don't recall a deluxe version of Counterparts from the first release. There was a "Gold CD" version (not MFSL) that came out a couple of years ago.

Counterparts was a beyotch to find on vinyl (although not as bad as Roll The Bones). Finally landed a German pressing about a year after it came out...

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6