Saturday, February 15, 2014

Neil Peart comes in at number 3 on Modern Drummer's 50 Greatest Drummers of All Time list
3:37PM EST | comments (100) |

Modern Drummer March 2014I'd mentioned in a Friday Rush updates post a few weeks ago that the March, 2014 issue of Modern Drummer magazine features their list of the 50 greatest drummers of all time as chosen by their readers. Neil Peart came in at #3 on the list just behind John Bonham at #2 and Buddy Rich at #1. John over at Cygnus-X1.net has transcribed Neil's writeup from the feature and made it available online at this location along with the names and rank of all the other drummers making the list. Here's an excerpt:

Neil Peart (b. 1952) joined Rush in 1974; Ron Spagnardi started Modern Drummer in 1977. Since the founding of this magazine, Peart has inarguably been the most visible, most popular symbol of the modern drummer, making it no surprise that he was voted the highest-ranking active player on our list. This seven-time (and counting) MD cover star is ever hungry to learn and improve, digging into musical inspirations from around the world with great relish and adding these ingredients to his own homemade brew with each Rush release. ...

Comments

Page 1 of 10 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#100 - Posted 2/20/14 @2:07PM by jiminseattle [contact]

#100. Sweet
#99 - Posted 2/20/14 @11:51AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Cool Random and thanks. I don't expect everyone to like CA, it is an acquired taste by me anyhow. Nice post.
#98 - Posted 2/19/14 @10:35PM by random_sample [contact]

#97- For the record...(not sure if you realize this or not)...I don't think I have ever said anything in these threads ,along the lines of "anyone who likes Clockwork Angels is an idiot!"...or anything like that. I've shared my opinion about the album...I find at least half the songs lacking any kind of melody or if they do have one, it's gone in 10 seconds.. A bunch of the songs , I just find too busy. And the funny thing is...I think I remember a guy I knew ,back in the 90's, who I wanted to "convince" and to try and "convert" to a Rush fan (haha) saying "their music is too busy", or something like that. This would have been around the time of Test for echo. This was obviously way before Snakes and Arrows or Clockwork Angels. I don't go as far as to criticize anyone for LIKING CA. I just share my opinion on how I feel about it and what I think about the album. If you love it and Jupe, or anyone else loves it...that's great. I'm actually happy for you, and for Jupe. I've been a fan of Rush since around 1983-84...so that's quite a few years. I still listen to their stuff quite a bit, but not the way I used to. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you (or anyone else) can distinguish between a criticism of Clockwork Angels and a personal attack on you,or anything like that.
#97 - Posted 2/19/14 @10:00PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Jupe; we are of the same opinion. CA rocks from start to finish, no doubt it is my favorite Rush album of all time and I know I am in the minority there. Despise the Rolling Stones and especially the hoo hoo song. It sucks. Pleased to meet you, now I can hurl.
#96 - Posted 2/19/14 @9:45PM by random_sample [contact]

#90- Jupe....my opinion about your opinion about MG's opinion is..... :P
(sorry, but CA doesn't thrill me . I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "complete abortion", though. I like about half the songs.)
#95 - Posted 2/19/14 @9:43PM by random_sample [contact]

#93- You're actually old enough to have been into Rush all the way back in 1974. Oh boy. I had that narrow minded view you have (about Rush) , when I was a teenager...and maybe into my early 20's, but not in my 40's. That's all I think I'm gonna say....
Oh...I will also just say this. Rush ,themselves... I mean Geddy, Alex, Neil.....have all been critical of their own stuff! If you're a fan, I'm sure you've seen the interviews, read the articles, etc...where each of them have criticized some of their own songs, albums....and even made fun of themselves. Why don't you go and stalk them or send some letters and tell Rush to never say anything "negative" about themselves. :P
#94 - Posted 2/18/14 @4:24PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Did I see this right, Lars Ulrich from Metallica numbered numero 42..and no Ian Paice, Dave Lombardo, Cozy Powell and Scott Travis on the list. Ringo Starr..I have no words. My 2 cents.
#93 - Posted 2/18/14 @3:30PM by nodrush [contact]

"A blog devoted to the band Rush and it's member's". We need to change that to a blog devoted to the tearing apart and criticism of the band and it's member's. That's what this blog is about for the mentally deficient(mg).
I've followed this band since 74, I remember being in high school in the early 80's, defending this band and it's technical music to the giant kiss, acdc...followers, thinking these guys just don't get it, all these years later, Rush is finally commercially popular, finally getting their just rewards, and here I am defending their musical abilities on of all places a blog devoted to the band.Funny, that's what I call circular mg.There are always small people who can only feel big or important when they tear down someone else, or what's important to someone else. l guess I could play that game and point out that Buddy Rick would destroy someone like Cobham...Cobam is trash compared to Rich, what purpose would that serve? I'll say once and for all NP is the greatest most influential" rock" drummer of his generation, I don't care about jazz drummers, studio drummers etc. He's done it year in and year out for 40 years plus,3 hour concerts, this guy is a game player, always delivers, and there is very little down time in a Rush concert, no one matches that.The same can be said about the other members in the band, there is not a more talented band working today.CA is by far and away some of their best work, I don't mind the DW's, better than Yamaha anyway, calling it an abortion demonstrates the ignorance of some on this blog. The band members say they've never played better, I would tend to trust their judgment.I'm glad tis band came along, they are a light in an otherwise bleak pop rock sewer. Hope you feel big mg when you rip into NP and this fantastic band, you just reveal how little you really are.
#92 - Posted 2/18/14 @12:14PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Neil can play.
#91 - Posted 2/18/14 @10:38AM by CraigJ [contact]

Opinions are like assh***s. Everyone has one and they are generally meaningless (and frequently stinky), especially when it comes to something subjective like music. My opinion is that 1987 to 1997 Rush is kinda weak, and while I can appreciate it, and I don't hate it, I'd rather listen to Signals or Snakes & Arrows than HYF, Presto, RTB, Counterparts or TFE. That's my opinion. It's not right. It's not wrong. It's subjective. I also think that mix and master on CA it too hot and too bass heavy. I love the album, but to me thats a big flaw. My opinion. Signals is the best Rush album. My opinion. LaVillia Strangiato is the best rock instrumental on the planet (specifically from ESL). My opinion. Crocs are ugly and they make your feet stink. Fact.

Page 1 of 10 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10