Saturday, October 5, 2013

Alex Lifeson talks drugs, religion and other heavy topics in new Classic Rock magazine interview
10:14AM EST | comments (107) |

Alex Lifeson is featured in the new issue of Classic Rock Magazine (issue #190, November 2013) for their Heavy Load feature column. The column is billed as heavy questions for heavy rockers and Alex tackles such heavy topics as drugs, religion, getting tasered and what he thinks are the worst Rush songs:

Tai Shan [from 1987's Hold Your Fire] is one of the worst, easily. And Panacea [part of the epic The Fountain of Lamneth, from 1975's Caress of Steel]. It was an attempt at something that didn't really work out. It was ... innocent.

Alex also tells a great story about taking the drug ecstasy with his wife, and when asked what will be written on his tombstone he replies, Oops! Sorry!. You can read a scan of the entire 1-page interview here. The November, 2013 issue of Classic Rock has started hitting subscribers mailboxes and should be on sale at newsstands later next week. Thanks to Geoff C for the heads up and scan.

Comments

Page 1 of 11 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
#107 - Posted 10/11/13 @7:25AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

One wonders if Alex is just goofing around also, just f#*king with the interviewer or just throwing shit out there to see what reaction it will get.I mean the dude has one serious whacked out sense of humour. Remember the S&A tourbook where they usually talk about their gear, but Alex does an interview with himself.F#*KED UP!!! Ya now that I'm thinking back to that, he probably is on all sorts of drugs...forget it.
#106 - Posted 10/10/13 @5:04PM by random_sample [contact]

#105- I disagree with your assessment of Alex mentioning Ecstasy. If anyone wants to "blame" someone, maybe you should blame the dork who interviewed Alex and asked him "what's the best drug you ever did?" Alex answered the question. This isn't Justin Beiber we're talking about, here. Most Rush fans are older, grown up. Yeah, there are younger Rush fans, but Rush are pretty damn squeaky clean. It's not Rush's job ,to be a role model or parent to kids (other than their own). That's my take on it, anyway.
(note: I have never tried ecstasy, personally..and don't have any desire to)
#105 - Posted 10/10/13 @2:33PM by steve k

Here's my 2 cents regarding the Ecstasy comment: I thought it was wildly inappropriate and irresponsible. It wasn't as though he was discussing smoking a joint or having a drink too many. 'E' is a potent drug that I've seen ruin and alter lives permanently. Treating it with such a lack of thought that younger fans may be reading this interview is in my world just a stupid thing to say. Is an open endorsement of meth or cocaine next? It doesn't change my feeling for the band at all and quite frankly I've never involved myself in the personalities of the people in the band, because quite frankly, what if I don't like them? However, at the end of the day, I think maybe 40 years of having his ass kissed and ego stroked has deprived him a bit a of the real world. And in the real world, there are consequences to our action - both good and bad. His endorsement of the drug was a bad move. Period. If it mattered at all, I would express my disappointment, but it doesn't.
#104 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:33PM by Hill

No love for "Good News First". Hmm, I don't understand that. I think it has one of Rush's better choruses, very melodic. I rather like that one.

While we are on the subject of worst songs (at least on S&A), the worst has to be "We hold on". Devoid of any melody, there's something very banal about it musically.
#103 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:32PM by random_sample [contact]

#102- Is that some kind of riddle?
#102 - Posted 10/8/13 @6:03PM by mitch18ss [contact]

If all Rush fans were polled on their favorite Rush songs and also their least favorite, I wonder which list would be first to include every Rush song.
#101 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:53PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Not a big fan of Neurotica either but love Good New First.
#100 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:45PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

"Neurotica" used to really bug me.Haven't listened to it for years. Have to listen to it again and see if it chaps my ass or turns my crank.
#99 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:13PM by MGRushFan

Oh god, just listened to "good news first" to see what the hubbub was about. Horrifically bad song. I agree....this ranks up there with Tai Shan.
#98 - Posted 10/8/13 @11:38AM by conniemack99 [contact]

Yeah, wow, I didn't realize how many people don't like Good News First. It is actually my favorite song on Snakes and Arrows. Totally unique sound, vocally and instrumentally --- very non-Rush. I love the whole guitar solo section and the lyrics are very cool and interesting.

Page 1 of 11 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11