Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Super Deluxe reissue of 2112 now available for pre-order
10:40AM EST | comments (22) |

Rush 2112UPDATE - 11/8@7:26AM: Rush sound engineer Richard Chycki posted an update to his blog yesterday where he talks a little about the reissue:

... Like the other Rush surround releases to date - Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals - 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published. ...

----- snip -----

A couple of weeks ago we learned that Mercury Records will reissue a Super Deluxe version of Rush's classic 2112 album this coming December 18th. No further details were given at the time, but a tweet from Rush sound engineer Rich Chycki shortly after the announcement confirmed that it would include a 5.1 surround sound remix of the album. Amazon.com is now listing 3 different versions of the 2112 Deluxe Edition for pre-order: a CD plus Audio DVD Deluxe Edition, a CD plus Audio Blu-ray Deluxe Edition and a CD plus Audio Blu-ray Super Deluxe Edition (thanks Gis Bun). The difference between the DVD and Blu-ray versions seems apparent; one includes a DVD disc and the other a Blu-ray disc. But there's no indication of what's included in the Super Deluxe Edition, although it costs over $20 more than the standard Deluxe Editions. More information as we learn it. 2112 was included as part of the Sector 1 box set release last year, but no 5.1 release of the album was included.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#22 - Posted 11/11/12 @10:39AM by lisah [contact]

bravest_face, coming in here a little late, COS is one of my most favorite albums of all time. I for one would love it if they would do another,"down the tubes tour". I missed the first one(Iwas about 6 yrs old), The music is some of the best that was ever put on vinyl. I don't care what other people say about it. I think it's a wonderful musical journey. Just sayin' RUSH ON!!
#21 - Posted 11/9/12 @8:11PM by bravest_face [contact]

...That's too bad, I would really like to see those video's, does Mercury own them? I'm sure they'll cash in one day??!??, I could be wrong though.
#20 - Posted 11/9/12 @7:34PM by snowdog2113 [contact]

#19 - I'm afraid the odds are next to nothing. I'd kill for those full shows from the 80s as well but it's just not realistic for a variety of reasons. Not impossible, but damn near.
#19 - Posted 11/9/12 @4:57PM by bravest_face [contact]

...O.K. I was joking about the deluxe "Caress Of Steel" because it probably won't sell as well but maybe "Archives", I love the first three Rush albums.

Do you guy's think they would ever release the full video's of Exit Stage Left, GUPing in the T.O.(84') and "A Show of Hands" full concerts. Man, I wanna see the drum solo on ESL and GUP concert because they skipped my town on that tour and I couldn't go to the JAM' in 84, I was only 11 but wanted to go. I wonder if they have the full show's of those above mentioned releases.
#18 - Posted 11/9/12 @4:49PM by bravest_face [contact]

I can't wait for the Deluxe version of "Caress of Steel".
#17 - Posted 11/9/12 @10:37AM by snowdog2113 [contact]

15 - Oh, I forgot. Even less likely but still possible, it would also be a good time to release the full version of 2112 from the Toronto, 1997 aborted DVD if they don't ever plan to repair the whole show. Like I said, I'm not getting my hopes up too much for live stuff but either (or both) of those options would be perfect.
#16 - Posted 11/9/12 @10:33AM by snowdog2113 [contact]

#15 - I'm not getting my hopes up too much for this possibility but that's not exactly true. We know now that they have access to a clean unwatermarked copy of that 1976 show from Passaic. There are different bits of it both in Beyond the Lighted Stage and the Progressive Metal episode of Metal Evolution plus the full song on the Time Machine Tour DVD. Releasing the full 40 minute show on the super-duper version of 2112 would be just awesome and completely fitting since all of 2112 (well, the somewhat shortened version they were playing back then) is in that show. It would be a perfect time and place to release that show.
#15 - Posted 11/9/12 @9:15AM by zkzt

Multiple versions in super duper extradonaire audio formats but what about a live show or something to sweeten the deal even more? I know they're probably aren't any pro or soundboard recordings from this era unless the band has something in the vault.
#14 - Posted 11/8/12 @6:00PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

Exactly
#13 - Posted 11/8/12 @11:58AM by daryllh [contact]

So it sounds like the surround mix will be a manipulation of the phase rather than a complete remix of the album?

I'm more interested in the hi-res 2 mix of the album.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3