Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Photos from Neil Peart recording session with Vertical Horizon
10:14PM EST | comments (18) |

UPDATE - 3/23@3:51PM: Here's video of Neil Peart in the studio with Vertical Horizon. It looks like Neil plays drums on 2 tracks; Instamatic and another unnamed track.

----- snip -----

UPDATE - 3/23@10:54AM: Vertical Horizon has posted to their Facebook page a new pic of Neil's DW kit in the studio and promise some video later today (thanks hermy).

We learned last month that Neil Peart would once again be working with Vertical Horizon on their new album, which they are currently working on at Studio City Sound in Los Angeles with sound engineer Tom Weir. We also learned that DW had made a custom kit for Neil for use in the recording sessions via this YouTube video from the January Winter NAMM show where Weir interviews John Good and Scott Donnell of Drum Workshop. A few weeks ago Vertical Horizon updated their Pledge Music site with the following message:

Okay this BIG news has come out online, and it's not definite yet ... but we're working to make it happen. I won't comment publicly online about it yet, but since it's out there I wanted you to see this. Neil and I are working on the scheduling, and DW has kindly made him a new kit to try and facilitate. Thanks for your support. Matt

And it looks like their work paid off since earlier this evening Sabian posted a series of photographs to Facebook from a March 19th recording session with Neil and his friend and Vertical Horizon frontman Matt Scannell which you can check out here (thanks mark omalley). Neil had also made a guest appearance on Vertical Horizon's 2009 album Burning the Days, playing drums on three of the tracks along with penning the lyrics for one.

Comments

#18 - Posted 4/30/12 @12:51PM by CraigJ [contact]

Neil Peart stands alone...
#17 - Posted 3/22/12 @6:13PM by Liverpool 78

Despite the fact that this is a colaboration I think it is a good thing because it shows that Neil is really enjoying his day job; so much so that he wants to play with others when perhaps his own work colleagues are doing other things.

Maybe he just wants to keep himself match fit for when rehearsals start - don't suppose that will be too long away.

Don't think I'll be acquiring this VH thing though.

Liver.
#16 - Posted 3/22/12 @5:04PM by Rob [contact]

#13 I wasn't convinced of this Hollywood thing.........................until now.

Pictures don't lie!!!!
#15 - Posted 3/22/12 @1:32PM by dinoman [contact]

#13 - Dude, that was awesome!
#14 - Posted 3/22/12 @12:19PM by SnakesandArrows [contact]

I think VH has a more mainstream accessible sound than Rush, but I do enjoy them for that reason. Sometimes I need something a little less complex and involved depending on my mood. However, the musicianship from VH isnt lacking by any means. I think Ed Toth is a fantastic drummer who just seems to play exactly the right parts to the songs.
#13 - Posted 3/22/12 @12:10PM by hermy [contact]

#8.... I really thought the Hollywood living wasn't going to his head but this picture from when he showed up to the recording studio apparently tells a different story.

Oh where or where has my Neil gone?

#12 - Posted 3/22/12 @11:06AM by Rubinowits [contact]

I wish Neil (and Alex too) would play with more interesting people/bands. I find VH extremely generic.

Concerning recent Rush: I don't know if it's the DW drums, the recording and/or the mixing, but the drums just don't have the snap and clarity that they do elsewhere; be it from Waves to Hold Your Fire. The drums sounded better. Even on Vapor Trails they sound better than on Snakes. Aren't they only supposed to get better?
#11 - Posted 3/22/12 @10:40AM by Son of a Mitch [contact]

#8,9 Thank you for getting all those negative comments out of the way. Now it'll be easier to focus on how awesome Neil Peart is :D
#10 - Posted 3/22/12 @10:32AM by UnstableCondition

It seems like Matt Scannell is a super nice guy, very bright, warm-hearted, and obviously quite talented... Probably someone I'd get along with really well, I'd bet! Which makes me almost feel bad for saying that I don't like his music very much. It's well-crafted, but it just sounds 'vanilla' to me. No spark, no edge. I wish it weren't so, but I've given it more than a few chances to sink in, but no dice.

Sorry for being "negative", but that's the thing with personal tastes... They're personal. You can't tell yourself how to feel!
#9 - Posted 3/22/12 @9:34AM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]