Rush included in FiveThirtyEight.com study of classic rock radio

Posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 12:34PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#45 - Posted 7/13/14 @6:20PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I have programmed my Pandora radio channels so that they will not play AC/DC. My Rush channel also plays quite a few iconic artists, as well.

By the way, does anybody here have this channel:

?
#44 - Posted 7/11/14 @1:41PM by cpb [contact]

42: Oh yeah! And yeah jupe, I know you're eclectic in tastes or you wouldn't have asked for recommendations!
#43 - Posted 7/11/14 @1:04PM by jupeguy [contact]

cpb- For a minute there I thought you said that because of my post #36 about rushradio. As you know I listen to a wide variety of music from Juluka to John Prine.From Yanni to Lamb of God.From Devo to Stan Rogers. From Rush to....RUSH!!!!!! Have a good weekend mofo's!
#42 - Posted 7/11/14 @10:32AM by CraigJ [contact]

link Rush is variety bitch! It's Rush. All Rush. All the time. No exceptions.
#41 - Posted 7/11/14 @9:42AM by cpb [contact]

38 - thanks for the comment!
39 - jupe, it's based on having been here for seven years. I go to several other band fansites even though Rush occupies the top spot in my heart, and NO others have such a high percentage (and it may not be a majority, but it's over 10%) of people who
a) state that they listen to one band and one band only;
b) might periodically listen to a handful of others;
c) will express such a level of hostility for bands that sound not like theirs.

And I don't buy that people are jaded and have tried to enjoy everything else or are burnt out on the rest. Sick of the classic rock staples, sure, as many in this thread have expressed. I think of Frank Zappa saying "most people have experienced such a tiny fraction of the musical universe they can't begin to know what they like". Are you SURE you hate country? James McMurtry too? What exactly IS hip-hop in your mind? Ever given Afro-beat a listen other than as a novelty? Recorded music is like a buffet with thousands of steam tables. To go to the same one EXCLUSIVELY just seems WEIRD to me now...and yet it is a definitive trait amongst many Rush fans.

Hell, even Zappa freaks almost never do that and FZ put out over a hundred albums!

IF YOU LIKE ONLY LISTENING TO RUSH, FINE. That's certainly your prerogative. I can only speak for myself and say I'm very glad I got out of that. I'm glad that, like Neil, I read way more than Only Ayn Rand. That like Geddy, I can listen to and love Bjork and Fleet Foxes. That like Alex, I can actually play using different tunings rather than claim to be a guitar "purist" (which I used to say, when the truth is I was lazy). Constant change is here to stay, and for me, being able to love music in a variety of styles makes me appreciate my progressive background that much more. I'll never miss a Rush concert - but thank God there's more concerts than Rush I'd pay to see!
#40 - Posted 7/11/14 @9:33AM by lapirata2 [contact]

The Eagles! How could I forget! The most overkilled band in the history of the radio. Give me "New Kid in Town" and send the rest into outer space as space junk.

No Bob Segar again, EVER!

Pink Floyd? Give me Animals and The Turning Away.

Heart: I'll take one helping of Mistral Wind.
#39 - Posted 7/11/14 @7:40AM by jupeguy [contact]

cpb- Is that directed at a specific post/poster in this thread or is it just an observation from over time?
#38 - Posted 7/11/14 @1:55AM by Pat R [contact]

Unstable...

As a member of the'broadcast radio'world, I can tell you the industry is on solid ground. A sliver of people listen to satellite radio. Not knocking it. Just a fact. Granted, I'm not nuts about the programming end of corporate-based radio, but it's still THE main source for music fans across the country.
#37 - Posted 7/10/14 @10:31PM by cpb [contact]

I'm not gonna lie: one of my few, but LARGE, frustrations I have with RIAB is that I feel so many forum-dwellers here are VERY closed-minded musically...and PROUD of it. "Why listen to anything else when you've found objective perfection?" Fine, I guess, and I'm quite a music snob myself, but the idea of having more digits on my body than bands I can enjoy...well let's just say that's not a cave I could dwell in again.
#36 - Posted 7/10/14 @7:56AM by jupeguy [contact]

Just listen to www.rushradio.org and you'll be set.
#35 - Posted 7/10/14 @1:41AM by cagster [contact]

#30
I agree with all!
#34 - Posted 7/9/14 @7:20PM by lapirata2 [contact]

#22 hit a standup triple. I never thought I'd say this but I have just about quit listening to "classic rock" radio altogether.

It's actually easier to list the songs I STILL ENJOY.

Boston: Hitch a ride, A Man I'll never be.

Sytx: Suite Madam Blue

Billy Joel: Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

Foreigner: Long long way from home

Led Zeppelin: Over the Hills and Far Away (but that is borderline killed too)

The Who: I Can see for Miles. (P.S. I loved Barbara O'Reilly, Won't get fooled again, Who are you, my generation, magic bus. But all those need to be retired.)

Lynyrd Skynrd: Simple Man

Rolling Stones: Under My Thumb. Bury everything else Please!

Elton John: OK I admit it... I still like Tiny Dancer.
#33 - Posted 7/9/14 @7:08PM by CraigJ [contact]

"there was a greater emphasis on DJ's and their personalities"

One of the main reasons I never really liked broadcast radio, and something I just don't see the need for, or really understand. No offense to DJs, but less talking, more music. (read that as NO talking, JUST music) OK, feel free to recap a batch of songs with that was a by b, c by d, and e by f. But that's it - shut up and play the music. About the only broadcast radio I ever listen to any more if the NPR classical station here. no commercials, barely any talking. About 98%+ music.

I like new music too, but broadcast radio was never a good way to find it, at least for me. Friends, Tower Records, etc. None of that can come close to comparing to the internet as a means of finding new (to you) music.
#32 - Posted 7/9/14 @4:43PM by snowdog20 [contact]

1. I Want You to Want Me

2. What I Like About You

3. Free Falling

.... God I hate Free Falling
#31 - Posted 7/9/14 @4:35PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

#29

No problem. I missed a few word in my own post...
#30 - Posted 7/9/14 @4:33PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I cannot listen to the following:

Anything by Elton John (I want to say: except for "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" but even that I have to turn off when it comes on the radio)

Anything by Billy Joel. Period. And I live on Long Island.

"Bohemian Rhapsody"

"Layla"

"Hotel California"

Anything by Guns and Roses (You would think that Axl would have figured out one vocal mannerism to use and stuck to it. What is that:

"Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door..
Nack, Nack, Nackin' on hiven's dooar...
Nic, nic, nickin' on doyoyoorr...
woooaaaaa...hnnn...yngggggg..."

give me a break...

And while I think of it...

"Horse with No Name..." I cannot take anymore...

Oh, and anything by Led Zeppelin (there, I said it...)

And, while I'm on a roll, anything that is not Rush, I pretty much cannot stand.

Except for George Thorogood (the only authentic white interpreter of the blues, in my humble opinion).

And most of Deep Purple gets a pass from me...

And maybe even some White Stripes (WHAT!! how dare you? How can you listen to Neil Peart and put Meg White next to him? Blasphemy to the third degree!!!)

And I've also lately been quite taken by Mott the Hoople by Mott the Hoople.
#29 - Posted 7/9/14 @4:16PM by cpb [contact]

My typos in the previous post really anger me. I DO know the difference between "there" and "their" ffs.

Also, "Long Way Home" by Supertramp is supercrap.
#28 - Posted 7/9/14 @4:13PM by cpb [contact]

By the way, myself (and Donna Halper I'm sure) will defend broadcast radio...to a POINT. I make sure I listen to stations that actually play new stuff for a certain number of hours each week because I was once a smug f who lambasted all music that wasn't made by the dozen-or-so acts (in the dozen-or-so years) I deemed worthy of my attention, and not only did I later find I'd missed some great stuff, but I was also a total pain in the rectum to talk to about music. Plus I LOVE discovering a new band (to me)! And not just cos they happen to work with a guy in a band what I already like. Listening to broadcast radio helps me strip away that prejudice for a bit.

Of course - and this is the point I'm sure Donna would make - it was much-better before in the days prior to the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (and, really, mid-1992) because rather than Clear Channel or One Big Jukebox Communications just treating individual markets as speakers in their big stereos (and JackFM is the WORST for this), their was a greater emphasis on DJ's and their personalities. I feel very lucky to have discovered classic rock through WRIF in Detroit in the 1980s because I felt I could TRUST guys like Arthur Penhallow and I enjoyed their presentation. While strong personalities will always exist in broadcast radio, the demand for their services is much lower, as they're expected to stick to the playbook.

I realize satellite radio exposes most of us to the "new" stuff. I think that's a legitimate development and I can't deny there's something nice about it. But I would NEVER want to go back to "I only listen to what I know". Because back then, I thought I knew EVERYTHING...and I HAD NO IDEA.
#27 - Posted 7/9/14 @2:48PM by UnstableCondition

People still listen to broadcast radio? Weird.

Anyway, songs I never need to hear again... hmmm... How about "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger? Every time I hear that intro piano part, I want to stab myself in the neck with a ball point pen. It's a staple at wedding receptions for some reason. Gets all the old farts out on the dance floor I suppose, but I hate hate HATE it.

Also - "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" by Meat Loaf. Just... no.

And anything by the Barenaked Ladies. No thank you. Except for the Bruce Cockburn cover; it's pretty cool. Probably because it's not all nudge-nudge, wink-wink jokey crap.

In response to #14 above - yeah, Bryan Adams has become a stain on the Canadian landscape to be sure. But I still have a soft spot for his stuff from before "Reckless". He still seemed to write songs back then, rather than creating 'vehicles for revenue generation', which is what all of his 'music' since then sounds like. I know that a guy's gotta eat, but when you're filthy rich already, why not try something a little different, just for the fun of it? You've got nothing to lose. And who knows, people just might like it... Like Rush!

(Not that B.A. could do anything as creative as Rush of course, but you get my drift, I hope...)
#26 - Posted 7/9/14 @11:35AM by jiminseattle [contact]

#22. I love the early Zep, always will and can never hear it enough. Radio stations will play what they play to annoy us forever.