Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2014 at 11:49AM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#48 - Posted 7/6/14 @5:09PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#45 - Posted 7/4/14 @10:42AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#28.

I do like Peter Gabriel's solo work also, just not his second self-titled album. As far as I am concerned, Peter Gabriel (3) (aka "Melt"), "So," Peter Gabriel (4) (aka "Security"), Peter Gabriel (1) (aka "Car"), "New Blood" and "Plays Live" are his greatest works. I have recently purchased "Peter Gabriel: Play" on DVD and "Secret World Live" on BluRay.

#30.

Thank you.

Otherwise, here was my list of 10 favorite "progressive rock" albums:

1. Rush: Exit... Stage Left (Yes, I know that I chose Rush's second live album as progressive rock's greatest work).

2. Yes: Close To The Edge (I had to think of one album where every song was an absolute masterpiece, I had considered "Tales From Topographic Oceans" also).

(After those two, in no particular order)

3. Genesis: Foxtrot (I had also considered "Nursery Cryme," or even "A Trick Of The Tail" as well
The Pound.")

4. Roxy Music: Avalon (One of "art rock's" greatest works). Would it have been too controversial, if I had chosen "All You Need Is Now" by Duran Duran, instead?

5. Gentle Giant: Free Hand (I could have also chosen "The Power And The Glory," "Octopus,"
copy of "Civilian" in the not too distant future).

8. Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

9. Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Trilogy (I know that I could have chosen "Tarkus," also).

10. Kansas: Leftoverture

Which groups did I not include: King Crimson, Supertramp, Renaissance, Asia, Camel, Caravan, Van deer Graaf Generator).

I was going to include King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King instead of ELP. (Even though 'I Talk To The Wind,' 'Epitaph' and 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' are amongst my favorite Crimson songs, I do not like the endless noodling on the second half of 'Moonchild' and I am not particularly crazy about '21st Century Schizoid Man.' I could have also chosen "Red," "Discipline," "Beat," "Three Of A Perfect Pair," "Vroom" and "Thrak" instead but never ever would I have even remotely chosen "Lizard!").

I had also considered Supertramp, because I like quite a few of their recordings. If they had asked for twelve I would have also included Renaissance, as well.
#47 - Posted 7/6/14 @4:58PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Drat,

I had written "Freehand," not "Free Hand;" shame on me.
#46 - Posted 7/6/14 @7:04AM by jupeguy [contact]

Haven't picked anything yet Craig. Been too busy this past week to check out any of the suggestions.Hopefully I will have some time today.
#45 - Posted 7/4/14 @10:42AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#28.

#30.

Thank you.

Otherwise, here was my list of 10 favorite "progressive rock" albums:

(After those two, in no particular order)

3. Genesis: Foxtrot ( I had also considered "Nursery Cryme," or even "A Trick Of The Tail" as well. Although I do like 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight,' 'I Know What I Like' and 'Firth Of Fifth,' I have never been crazy about and do not understand other individuals preference of "Selling England By The Pound.")

4. Roxy Music: Avalon (One of "art rock's greatest works").

5. Gentle Giant: Freehand (I could have also chosen "The Power And The Glory," "Octopus," "Acquiring The Taste," "Gentle Giant," or even "Three Friends" as well. I would like to purchase a copy of "Civilian" in the not too distant future.

6. Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here (I had also considered "Dark Side Of The Moon," but due to those vocals on 'The Great Gig In The Sky,' "Dark Side Of The Moon" is not my favorite recording).

7. The Moody Blues: To Our Children's Children's Children (I had also considered "Days Of Future Passed," "In Search Of The Lost Chord," "Long Distance Voyager" and "Strange Times").

8. Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

9. Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Trilogy

10. Kansas: Leftoverture

4. Gentle Giant: Freehand
5. Roxy Music: Avalon
#44 - Posted 7/3/14 @7:00PM by CraigJ [contact]

So, Jupe, what did you end up with?
#43 - Posted 7/2/14 @2:10PM by cpb [contact]

I will also list ten albums that I think Rush fans should own, even if they are not PROPERLY "progressive", because they are genius and I love them and want everyone else to...

1) Radiohead - OK Computer (as endorsed by Neil Peart himself!)
2) Tori Amos - Under The Pink ("Yes, Anastasia" is over 9 minutes and was covered by Dream Theater, so...)
3) The National - High Violet
4) Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes
5) Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet (so richly textured; a brilliant expression.)
6) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (more New York hip-hop you'll actually like.)
7) Joni Mitchell - Blue
8) Depeche Mode - 101
9) The Cure - Disintegration
10) Phish - Rift (Junta is a more technical album, but Rift is so seamless and brilliant, provided you ignore the rubbish lyrics.)

I could go on, and undoubtedly will. But not now.
#42 - Posted 7/2/14 @10:18AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#34.

It is interesting that you had mentioned "Terrapin Station" by The Grateful Dead, I happen to like that epic quite a bit. Of course, I am familiar with "Tarkus" and "Meddle" also. I was simply trying to elucidate how difficult it is to pick the 10 best "progressive rock" albums, however.
#41 - Posted 7/1/14 @2:04PM by CraigJ [contact]

2nd vote for Steve Vai.

Also, Jeff Beck. link

And here's some love for Alan Parsons Project: link
#40 - Posted 7/1/14 @1:43PM by Ripper62 [contact]

Or one of his Protégés Steve Vai for that matter. Not his whole catalog but there are several really good tunes like these two.

#39 - Posted 7/1/14 @12:49PM by CraigJ [contact]

Joe Satriani's entire catalog is recommended if you don't have any of that. Try Time Machine...

Depeche Mode's Violator is also highly recommended.

Can't go wrong with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass... link
#38 - Posted 7/1/14 @11:14AM by Ripper62 [contact]

@Jupe,
I would suggest owning the following at least.
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Animals
Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love or Loose Ends
#37 - Posted 7/1/14 @7:43AM by jupeguy [contact]

#36- When you mentioned The Who it made me realize something. I have never owned any recordings by The Who, The Rolling Stones,The Beatles,Pink Floyd,Van Halen,Jimi Hendrix,Journey,ACDC,Kiss,Oasis,Coldplay,Radiohead etc. I do however have albums/cd's by artists like- Flash and The Pan,Split Enz,The Tubes,Queensryche,Ultravox,Big Country,The Waterboys,Midnight Oil,The Pogues,Arch Enemy,Mastodon,Devo,System of a Down, just to name a handful.What does this all mean?What's the significance? I DON'T KNOW!!! (blows a very loud bicycle horn at this point)
System of a Down's album Toxicity was an eye opening album for me as well.Just totally blew me away and opened up the "heavier" side of music to me. After listening to System, I discovered bands like Strapping Young Lad,Mudvayne,Disturbed,Arch Enemy,Lamb of God,Godsmack etc.Made me see that there are a lot of really talented musicians in heavy/extreme metal bands. As Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree once said in an interview "I wondered where all of the good players were, then realized they were all playing in extreme metal bands".
Jupe
#36 - Posted 7/1/14 @12:07AM by musicofthespheres [contact]

jupe 32. I've had that feeling twice, with Rush in 1981 w. Moving Pictures and with The Who when The Kids Are Alright came out -- that was my intro to the band, but Who's Next is right up there w. any of my favorite Rush albums. Surely Who's Next is already in your iTunes?

And having that feeling is probably hard to reproduce as we age... I've tried PT, but Rush's lyrics and vocal melodies raise the bar soooooo unfairly high that I can't get into them.

The only other suggestion is Eric Johnson. I still remember when I first heard Cliffs of Dover on the radio!
#35 - Posted 6/30/14 @10:45PM by jupeguy [contact]

Thanks Jim. I'll give the AM's another listen.
LambSaag- Jeez what can I say about Queen 1 and 2. Almost had the same effect(affect? me stupid right now), on me as 2112, and I was a Queen fan from that first listen of Queen's debut album. I think because I play the drums that 2112 "spoke" to me more.
#34 - Posted 6/30/14 @9:48PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

re: #6

I think your list is remiss without Tarkus, Meddle, The Man Who Sold The World, Queen I & II, and possibly even side 1 of Terrapin Station...

IMHO...
: )
#33 - Posted 6/30/14 @8:32PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Jupe: I know you aren't into them but The Arctic Monkeys are totally THAT band for me right now. Hope you find some great new tunes to add to your collection.
#32 - Posted 6/30/14 @6:49PM by jupeguy [contact]

Hey everyone! thanks for all of your great suggestions. I have listened to many of them but haven't had the time to check them all out yet. Keep up with the suggestions!! I want to be totally f*#king blown away like the first time I ever heard RUSH. 34 years ago...Overture/Temples, I was 14. O.K., maybe that feeling will never be duplicated for me (to that extent), but isn't that a great feeling when you "discover" something like that and it totally changes your life?
#31 - Posted 6/30/14 @6:20PM by ITheJury [contact]

#28. Indeed! To that -- I don't tend to recommend live albums, but one I do is "Secret World Live."

I wasn't crazy about "Us." Then I heard the live versions on SWL, which IMHO are much better. Because it includes almost all the songs from Us, it arguably makes purchase of Us unnecessary.

I realize that "Pro" will be a "Con" for many. SWL all but ignores Peter Gabriel's pre-So material.

I saw him on this tour and share jim's (#29) sentiment -- what a show!
#30 - Posted 6/30/14 @6:13PM by ITheJury [contact]

#27. Enigmaticus, that's a great list. On first glance, the only ones I question are the Doobie Brothers and Foreigner. While I would agree that The Doobie Brothers' songs are absolute classic rock *fixtures,* I wonder how influential they've been on other musicians. Perhaps their influence is more than I am aware for.

Foreigner successfully mixed pop / classic rock / proggy elements and their songs may arguably be fixtures too, but I'd say the same about them.

Talking about deserving '70s rock acts, I would argue for Boston. That one album is arguably the template for impeccably produced bombastic pop rock, which everything from Mutt Lange productions to Nevermind have drawn from.
#29 - Posted 6/30/14 @5:48PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Saw Peter Gabriel in the round in Seattle about 8 years ago. He put on a hell of a fun and trippy show.