Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2014 at 1:01PM

#28 - Posted 6/25/14 @8:12AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Has anybody picked up a copy of "Rush FAQ by Max Mobley," yet? I had picked up my copy at Barnes & Noble after dinner last night.

#19 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:22AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I was listening to "Test For Echo" yesterday morning, from the 1989-2007 Studio Albums box set. Do I think that it is the worst album from Rush's catalog? Absolutely not!

I am still really looking forward to the Audiofidelity release of "Presto" on SACD. I am hoping that, in their infinite wisdom, Audio Fidelity will release "Power Windows," "Permanent Waves" and of course, "Exit... Stage Left" in the SACD, or Gold format within the next couple of years.

Since, I had never purchased The Sectors Box sets, I do not have any idea how some of those recordings had compared to the earlier remasters; did anybody else purchase them and what were your thoughts on this particular subject?

#11. Thank you for the kind comments.

#13. Yes, it is an absolute masterpiece.

they are listed at #4, placing Rush and AC/DC on the same list is completely unwarranted. That is, please do not place Rush in the same sentence, ever. Plus, I had found the
commentator's comment about Rush being "crypto fascists" to be extremely offensive.

studio albums go: "Kansas," "Leftoverture" and "Point of Know Return" are probably my favorites.

Here are my ratings on the early Kansas albums:

"Kansas" *****
"Song For America" ****
"Masque" **** 1/2
"Leftoverture" *****
"Point Of Know Return" *****

Speaking of which. I was slightly disappointed that Sirius XM does not have a separate "progressive rock" channel. I had been scanning through the channels and has found 'The Trees' being played on "Ozzy's Boneyard" and 'Close To The Edge' being played on "Deep Tracks." would you subscribe to this service if they had a "prog rock," or a Rush channel?

#15. Bwahahahahahaha, R.O.F.L.W.A.D.R. @ that one.
#27 - Posted 6/23/14 @4:34PM by bravest_face [contact]

I have to get the RUSH 74'box set, those songs were great to listen to when I was a kid, I loved Rush 74' and Fly By Night, great title for a sophomore release, by the way. To bad we don't support music like we use to. I feel guilty, every thing is more expensive now because of it. I didn't even buy Clockwork Angels, I mean, I tried to by the digital version but the site didn't take my credit card. I think I'll get the vinyl, when I get me a record player.
#26 - Posted 6/23/14 @12:35PM by michinman [contact]

Sorry Ed. My silliness is over. RUUUUSSSHHHH!!
#25 - Posted 6/23/14 @12:24PM by michinman [contact]

#24 OK Let me be clear...

1) Beer (Molson Canadian) A++
2) Wine (Cab Sauv, Shiraz) A+
3) Vodka/Tonic (2 oz. Absolut/tonic water) A
4) Coffee (Tim Horton's small, 1 cream, 2 sugar) B+
5) Water (tap - filtered by Brita) C- (A++ after an evening with 1 through 3)
#24 - Posted 6/23/14 @10:56AM by CraigJ [contact]

#22 - Well? How 'bout it? Tap or bottled? Flat or fizzy? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

#23 - I don't see malt liquor on your list - you aren't keepin' it real.
#23 - Posted 6/23/14 @9:04AM by michinman [contact]

Hey Jupe,

On that note is my (unbiased) list of favorite beverages in descending order:

Beer
Wine
Vodka/Tonic
Coffee
Water

Just thought everyone should know...
#22 - Posted 6/23/14 @7:38AM by jupeguy [contact]

I just drank a glass of water, and I am thinking that maybe later I'll have another one. Will keep you updated if anything happens.
#21 - Posted 6/22/14 @1:44PM by zebec [contact]

(Unrelated, but then totally relative) Yesterday saw the Lemon/Tree Fest here in the emerging and trendy Leslieville neighbourhood of Toronto. A local politician lady sponsores these annually at Leslie Grove parkette. This year's theme combined lemons and trees, whatever. I used to teach at the local school and like to drop by at these social affairs, if only to catch the young rock bands always featured playing live--they are damn good for 16 yrs old, some even younger. Departing the fest, I passed by a 30-something couple proudly pushing their baby in a stroller, en route to catch the band's final song. It was Julian, Geddy's son, his wife plus new son Finnian. I almost turned to Julian to introduce myself and explain how 2 of my younger colleagues teaching at that school were actually Julian's old classmates from high school. One was a guy who played on the baseball team with Julian while the other was a beautiful blonde schoolmate who'd also been close to Selena, Neil's late daughter. For what its worth, one of the two Toronto recording studios where Clockwork Angels was recorded is located just 2 blocks away. We live a block away from Julian and I suspect that one day we'll bump into each other and have a chat. I am done. The end.
#20 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:32AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Yeah by the way for those of you, in the state of Arizona, who love delicious Japanese food, here is that Hana Tokyo link:

#19 - Posted 6/22/14 @6:22AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Since, I had never purchased The Sectors Box sets, so I do not have any idea how some of those recordings had compared to the earlier remasters; did anybody else purchase them and what were your thoughts on this particular subject?

Sorry, I was in Sierra Vista yesterday, where it was at least 100 degrees, according to my car thermometer, replacing my 19th century model SUV with its 22nd century equivalent. I was having dinner at Hana Tokyo, which had consisted of Teppanyaki: Double Lobster, Calamari and Scallops and a Sierra Vista roll. In my honest opinion, Hana Tokyo is one of the best Japanese restaurants in the state of Arizona.

#11. Thank you for the kind comments.

#13. Yes, it is an absolute masterpiece.

#14. Yes, as I had reiterated previously, "Rush has never been a heavy metal band." Even though they are listed at #4, placing Rush and AC/DC on the same list is completely unwarranted, plus the commentators comment about Rush being "crypto fascists" is extremely offensive.

Regarding Kansas, I really like their first 5 albums and maybe "Monolith," "Power," "The Spirit Of Things," "Always Never The Same," "Device Voice Drum," various box set compilations, and their most recent BluRay concert with the Topeka Symphony orchestra. As far as my favorite Kansas studio albums go, "Kansas," "Leftoverture" and "Point of Know Return" are probably my favorites. Here are my ratings on the early Kansas albums:

"Kansas" *****
"Song For America" ****
"Masque" **** 1/2
"Leftoverture" *****
"Point Of Know Return" *****

#15. Bwahahahahahaha, R.O.F.L.W.A.D.R. @ that one.
#18 - Posted 6/21/14 @9:21PM by LanceTheShred [contact]

#14 Craig-You betcha on LH brother and Sparks of the Tempest rips!! Won a few air guitar competitions with some Kansas in the holster.

#15 cpb-NICE!!
#17 - Posted 6/21/14 @7:40PM by CraigJ [contact]

#15.

First of all it's not 77 to 79 , it's 77 to 81, and it's not aggressive-progressive pilates, it's (obviously) introverted-aggressive-progressive-post yoga. And I me COME ON: Moving Pictures and Signals ate NOT NUTTY. They are, as everyone knows, CREAMY. All TRUE Rush fans know this.

Additionally, as I'm sure you know, all albums recorded at Le Studio have fore-notes of maple, and a pronounced, lingering aftertaste poutine.

It's like you guys are all new to the band or something. Try to keep up.
#16 - Posted 6/21/14 @6:46PM by OotS [contact]

Post 15...
#masterpiece
#15 - Posted 6/21/14 @4:14PM by cpb [contact]

on't believe any logical person could logically class Rush as "heavy metal". They've had many phases, from pre-post-regret-neopunk (1982-1983) to aggressive-progressive pilates (1977-1979) to rock (1974) but as the list listed below demonstrates, Rush albums are never "metal".

The following list categorizes RUSH studio albums according the taste of the LP inner sleeve, then alphabetically by the third letter in the title:

PAPERY:

1. Presto
2. Roll The Bones
3. Vapor Trail
4. Test For Echo
5. Counterparts

WEED:
1. Feedback (hey, it was the sixties man)

PLASTIC:
1. Snakes & Arrows
2. Clockwork Angels

From this we can deduce Rush are not metal, but in fact gold and/or platinum.

To read the remaining 93% of this article and my fantasy football picks, visit link

Posted on Juneteenth, 2013
and October 22, 2012
and May 24, 2012
and April 1, 2012
(twice)
and November 11, 2011 at 11:11am
in English, French, and Cyrillic...
#14 - Posted 6/21/14 @2:15PM by CraigJ [contact]

#7 - Lightning's Hand - you are referring to Kansas right? Point of Know Return is, in fact, a mind blowing album. "Sparks of the Tempest" also makes my toes explode. A couple of songs on that album are a bit schmaltzy, bur overall a great album. Also the reference to "Dust in the Wind" in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" will forever be imprinted on my tiny little brain. "All we are is dust in the wind, dude..." link .

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but one thing I've never understood is the classification of Rush as a metal band. Do not get. Honestly, IMO Rush is pretty unclassifiable outside of simple "rock". I am constantly confounded by people's need to classify stuff like this. It is what it is. Dig it.
#13 - Posted 6/21/14 @11:50AM by Fear [contact]

Roll The Bones is their most underrated album imho
#12 - Posted 6/21/14 @10:26AM by freewilly [contact]

#8 RFF: Thanks, again!
#11 - Posted 6/21/14 @8:20AM by Denny Crane [contact]

Laughing at #6 and #9

Yes, he will be along shortly with a three page "clip and paste" article that he authored a few years ago... followed by a request to visit his webpage.

Oh yeah, his ranking of albums will be included as well.

The guy ranking Roll the Bones as being their #2 best album is not as bad as his choice to rank 2112 as being their #3 worst. You know what they say about opinions....

I still like the guy. He gives a bit of humor and a splash of spritz to the RIAB website. I don't agree with 90% of what he says, but his posting are well thought out and he takes time to share his ramblings.

DC

posted by Denny Crane on 21/06/2014 @ 8:17am
#10 - Posted 6/21/14 @7:12AM by jupeguy [contact]

On a much kinder note, #5 Craig, I have always loved Queen's music and saw them live in 1980. It was "The Game" tour and they played your "Dragon Attack".
They rocked!!
#9 - Posted 6/21/14 @7:08AM by jupeguy [contact]

#6- And that he created his website 17 years ago....blah,blah,blah. The "Sheldon Cooper" of RIAB. Look, any self proclaimed Rush guru who thinks that "Roll The Bones" is the second best Rush studio recording is out there.Waaaayyyy out there. I know,free speech,everyone has the right to their opinion and all that jazz so save the lecture because, that's my opinion!