Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2014 at 12:00PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#17 - Posted 6/11/14 @10:41PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

CraigJ,

You make a very interesting point: "You can't even define Rock n Roll."

That is one of the reasons why, I had started creating my website 17 years ago. I have been a "progressive rock" enthusiast for over 35 years. When I had first heard "Hemispheres" back in February, 1979, as a 17 year old, I was immediately hooked. Regardless of whether "progressive rock" was cool, or not, I have enjoyed it and have continued to support it's cause. Now I will not say that I like all of the "progressive rock" bands, nor will I say that I detest all of the "heavy metal" bands, either. I will however say, that if the group had created innovative, original music that did not feature screaming for no apparent reason and did not nauseate me, I would probably like it.

I wonder what Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johannes Brahms, Antonio Vivaldi, Ludwig Van Beethoven and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky would have thought of Rush?
#16 - Posted 6/8/14 @6:23PM by CraigJ [contact]

I've always found the need to classify things like this to be based on the classifier's bias and perception - on man's Rock and Roll is another man's Country. You can't even really define Rock n Roll - IMO Rush has more in common with Rachmaninov and Mozart than Elvis for example, but that doesn't make Rush "Classical" Rush is Rush, Rachmaninov is Rachmaninov, Elvis is Elvis. It's music. Enjoy it.
#15 - Posted 6/8/14 @6:01PM by jiminseattle [contact]

It quite simply is Rock n Roll isn't it. What a beautiful thing that is.
#14 - Posted 6/8/14 @5:28PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Heavy Progressive
Heavy Symphonic Progressive
Symphonic Progressive
Symphonic Progressive/Art Rock
Art Rock
Art Rock/Eclectic Progressive
Eclectic Progressive/Progressive Hard Rock
Symphonic Eclectic Progressive

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Dude.... it's Rock-n-Roll. You've seemed to miss that category somehow.

Seriously, let the thing be for crying out loud.

DC

Posted by Denny Crane on Sunday, from his Mom's basement, at 5:25pm
#13 - Posted 6/8/14 @1:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Pithy. Just kidding. :>)
#12 - Posted 6/8/14 @1:13PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Let's try this again, shall we?

#11 - Posted 6/8/14 @1:07PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#4.

You are in a sense, correct. Rush is definitely hard to define even within their sub genre of progressive rock. However, under no circumstances would I consider Rush to be a "heavy metal" band. They may have influenced and inspired the development of "progressive metal," but they are not a prog metal band, either.

Of course when dealing with Rush, I have divided their albums into 5 distinct periods. I have differed from Prog Archives opinion wise on Rush being classified as a " Heavy Progressive" act.

The Early Period (1968-1976)

Heavy Progressive

6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Hemispheres

Symphonic Progressive/Art Rock

8. Permanent Waves
9. Moving Pictures
10. Exit... Stage Left

Early Modern Period (1982-1988)

Art Rock

11. Signals
12. Grace Under Pressure
13. Power Windows
14. Hold Your Fire
15. A Show Of Hands

Middle Modern Period (1989-1998)

Art Rock

16. Presto
17. Roll The Bones

Art Rock/Eclectic Progressive

18. Counterparts
19. Test For Echo
20. Different Stages

Late Modern Period (1999-201?)

Eclectic Progressive/Progressive Hard Rock

21. Vapor Trails
22. Rush In Rio
23. Feedback

Symphonic Eclectic Progressive

24. R30
25. Snakes & Arrows
26. Snakes & Arrows Live
27. Clockwork Angels
28. Clockwork Angels Tour
#11 - Posted 6/8/14 @1:07PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#4.

The Early Period (1968-1976)

Heavy Progressive

6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Hemispheres

Symphonic Progressive/Art Rock

8. Permanent Waves
9. Moving Pictures
10. Exit... Stage Left

Early Modern Period (1982-1988)

Art Rock

11. Signals
12. Grace Under Pressure
13. Power Windows
14. Hold Your Fire
15. A Show Of Hands

Middle Modern Period (1989-1998)

Art Rock

16. Presto
17. Roll The Bones

Art Rock/Eclectic Progressive

18. Counterparts
19. Test For Echo
20. Different Stages

22. Late Modern Period (1999-201?)

Progressive Hard Rock

21. Vapor Trails
22. Rush In Rio
23. Feedback

Symphonic Eclectic Progressive

24. R30
25. Snakes & Arrows
26. Snakes & Arrows Live
27. Clockwork Angels
28. Clockwork Angels Tour
#10 - Posted 6/8/14 @1:03PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#8.

In Rush's early days, (1974- 1982), they would release an album approximately once a year. From 1982 to 1996, Rush would release an album once every other year, or so. However, after Neil's tragedies and their 5 year hiatus, Rush has released a new studio album (with new material) approximately once every 5 years; there are about 5 years between the release of "Vapor Trails" (2002) and "Snakes & Arrows" (2007) and "Clockwork Angels" (2012). Based upon those recent trends, I would not expect to see a new studio album release by Rush, prior to 2017.
#9 - Posted 6/8/14 @8:32AM by Denny Crane [contact]

Geddy likes his baseball and Alex is out vacationing a bit as well. Neil is probably out doing his thing too. They deserve the rest of the entire summer to goof off and enjoy the down time.

However, I hope we learn soon that Alex gets bored and calls over to Ged's house:

ring, ring...... ring, ring

"Hello Dirk, I've been playing around a bit with some really cool riffs, I'll be over later (with wine) to let you hear a few"

DC
#8 - Posted 6/7/14 @3:04PM by cakes and sparrows [contact]

Rush releases a new studio album every other year, right? I'm so looking forward to picking up the new one in September!
#7 - Posted 6/6/14 @10:06PM by limelighter [contact]

blue jay game
#6 - Posted 6/6/14 @10:06PM by limelighter [contact]

at the blue jay tonight. geddy has his PRESTO look. looks so cool.
#5 - Posted 6/6/14 @7:22PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Like Buckle says, Rush is just Rush and should not be categorized. IMHO
#4 - Posted 6/6/14 @6:06PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

Rush defies all categories.

When I was growing up, they were considered "heavy metal."

Later, they were considered "art rock."

Now, they are "prog rock."

Like I said, Rush defies all categories and that's how it is and how it ought to be.
#3 - Posted 6/6/14 @3:26PM by CraigJ [contact]

Oh, and tertiary.
#2 - Posted 6/6/14 @3:25PM by CraigJ [contact]

"VH1 posted their list of the 10 Most High-Pitched Singers In Heavy Metal And Hard Rock earlier this week and Geddy Lee made the cut at #7. Here's what they had to say:

The Rush bassist is a natural tenor, and though he doesn't always go for the highest of high notes, he isn't afraid to let it fly to put a song over the top, such as on the classic rock radio standard "Closer To The Heart"."

Because Rush is Heavy Metal??? WTF?
#1 - Posted 6/6/14 @12:04PM by joerock213 [contact]