Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 1:18PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#15 - Posted 6/3/14 @1:29PM by CraigJ [contact]

"A black fellow! Because Africa! Let's make it Carter Beauford cos he's pretty bad-ass. And white."

LOL Gotta love white black fellows.
#14 - Posted 6/3/14 @1:38AM by cpb [contact]

THE ALL-TIME GREATEST DRUMMERS. OF ALL TIME EVER IN TIME!

brought to you by PageClix.com: "your interest is our clickthrough traffic!"

10. Frank Beard out of ZZ Top! "La Grange", you know?! uh hao hao hao hao!
9. Ginger Baker! Because Cream!
8. That guy from Foghat! My uncle Carl saw 'em at the Meadowlands in '82 and said it kicked ass, so
7. Buddy Rich or someone old to show we're well-rounded!
6. A black fellow! Because Africa! Let's make it Carter Beauford cos he's pretty bad-ass. And white.
5. Gregg(?) Bissonnette! We probably doubled too many consonants in his name but he doubled EVERYTHING. He was in David Lee Roth's band which was the most mathematically talented band in the Universe...and did it show!
4. That Latin guy on the timbales! Ernie or Tito or something.
3. Lars! Because we want that fanbase to come to this site. DAMAGE INC
2. Bonham, Moon, Pigsty, and that other dead one from the greats.
1. Neil Peart! Boy he just edged in this time. LISTEN!!
#13 - Posted 6/2/14 @7:21PM by random_sample [contact]

#12- I agree. These lists/competitions are meaningless.

Re: Neil's upcoming new book. Not sure if anyone will agree with me on this, but it seems kind of silly from a business/marketing standpoint, to write these journals that Neil writes, put them online (for free) on his website, then use those same journals to make up the contents of a new book. I enjoyed his other books..but since I've read most of his journal entries on his site, I wouldn't exactly feel compelled to buy this upcoming book. If it was "fresh" new stuff I hadn't already read...then yeah, I'd buy it.
#12 - Posted 6/1/14 @9:34PM by CraigJ [contact]

Question. Did Neil Peart know he was completing for this? Somehow I think not. These stupid lists are nothing more than a magazine, radio station, etc, etc way to sell crap, Meh. Utterly meaningless.
#11 - Posted 6/1/14 @2:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes #10, I could see why that would ruffle a few feathers. To me these lists are kind of lame as there are so many different styles to drumming, guitar work, bass guitar work and keyboards. It is hard to put anyone first in any of these categories. I love Rush however with every sense I own.
#10 - Posted 6/1/14 @1:53PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Well, #9.

I am sure that there still will be quite a few individuals, who will be quite upset, over Neil Peart's win over John Bonham as well.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had watched the 2014 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony last night. As many of you are probably already aware, I was very angry that neither Yes, nor Deep Purple were inducted. Being a glutton for punishment, but not a masochist, I had decided to watch last night's ceremony:

You mean, I had missed seeing the godfather of "progressive rock" for this? Unfortunately, I had been unable to convince anyone else (colleagues, or associates) to accompany me to the Justin Hayward concert last night, so instead of purchasing tickets and attending, I had watched the 2014 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction ceremony last night.

So, how did it compare to last year's iconic ceremony, in my opinion? Well, I was not that crazy about Chris Martin's induction speech, but Peter Gabriel's performance of 'In Your Eyes' was certainly quite spectacular.

Also, highly noteworthy was Sheryl Crowe's and the other ladies, cover version of 'You're No Good.' It was also great to see Stevie Nick's take the stage; Stevie was utterly amazing, of course.

Yusuf Islam, the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens can still sing quite well. I was hoping that he would have played 'Morning Has Broken,' instead, however the songs which he did sing were great.

Daryl Hall & John Oates sounded great with the performance of their repertoire.

KISS did not perform, which was not a surprise. For a few moments, it had seemed as though the four original members had actually buried their animosity.

I am not a big fan of either the E Street Band, nor Nirvana. Although, I did watch their performances. Perhaps, I am too old to appreciate Nirvana's music, after all I am nearly in my mid 50's. The one song that I actually did like by Nirvana, was not performed, however.

In my opinion, the highlights of this year's ceremony, paled in comparison with last year's. When you induct iconic artists like Rush, Heart, Randy Newman and the late great Donna Summer, you expect and you get spectacular performances.

Carole King's performance last year was magnificent, as was Jennifer Hudson's tribute to the late Donna Summer. I especially liked the raucous rendering of Randy Newman's 'I Love L.A.' to open last year's ceremony. Heart was spectacular and after nearly 40 years together, Ann and Nancy Wilson's performances on 'Crazy On You' and 'Barracuda,' with their support cast, were truly mesmerizing.

Gary Clark Jr.'s performance of 'Born Under A Bad Sign' by the late Albert King was riveting. I have no doubt that we will see this great artist again several more times.

I really do not think that many artists can hold a candle to Rush; they are in the same league with artists such as: The Who, The Moody Blues, Cream, Duran Duran, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Talking Heads, The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac and The Beatles. Their audience will still be playing Rush recordings, covers of their recordings, and other versions of their songs, for several more centuries, if not several millennia. I would have preferred them to have performed 'Xanadu,' 'Available Light,' 'Dreamline,' 'Ghost Of A Chance' or 'Mystic Rhythms' instead of choosing 'The Spirit Of Radio' and 'Tom Sawyer,' but it's great to know that the Rock Hall's gallery had chosen 'Xanadu,' aka the greatest symphonic progressive rock song of all time, in my honest opinion.
#9 - Posted 5/31/14 @12:38PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Mike Portenoy better than Keith Moon, give me a huge break.
#8 - Posted 5/31/14 @11:26AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Anarchist
Marathon
Between the Wheels
Natural Science
Available Light
Clockwork Angels
La Villa
A Farewell to Kings
Xanadu

In no particular order except #1.
#7 - Posted 5/31/14 @11:08AM by OotS [contact]

Vital Signs, Between The Wheels, Hemispheres Part II, and Available Light are definitely in my top 10. For the other 6, take your pick:

Fountain, Necromancer, 2112, Natural Science, Tom Soy, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Grand Designs, Prime Mover, Red Tide, Totem, Ghost Rider, Good News First, Anarchist, Garden, Wreckers
#6 - Posted 5/31/14 @10:45AM by joerock213 [contact]

This is an impossible task but I had a go at it:
Top Ten Rush Songs:

1. Subdivisions
2. Limelight
3. Middletown Dreams
4. Marathon
5. Red Barchetta
6. Xanadu
7. Beneath, Between, & Behind
8. Distant Early Warning
9. Analog Kid
10. Time Stand Still

I think most of these songs have a strong emotional quality, and a powerful chorus.
#5 - Posted 5/31/14 @10:01AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Although, I do agree with 'Xanadu,' 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'The Garden' being on the Top 10 best Rush song list. Here are 10 of my favorite Rush songs:

1. Xanadu (from Exit... Stage Left)
2. Mystic Rhythms
3. Ghost Of A Chance
4. Available Light
5. The Garden
6. The Camera Eye
7. Faithless
8. Natural Science
9. Digital Man
10. La Villa Strangiato
#4 - Posted 5/30/14 @11:57PM by Mike H. [contact]

Not a terrible medley for a bunch of high school kids, though the arrangement could use a bit more work. Having been in band back in high school I remember the pain of having to play weak renditions of popular songs and thinking "why do we have to play this weird version, what was wrong with the original?!" Kudos to these kids though, spreading a little more Rush around is never a bad thing!
#3 - Posted 5/30/14 @9:37PM by MajorSkalle [contact]

I think I have brainwashed my girlfriend.
The other day she dreamt that she had a dinner with the one and only Geddy Lee. Complete with scarf and red wine. After a long conversation he signed a napkin for me! Thanks a lot, Ged!
#2 - Posted 5/30/14 @1:42PM by conky [contact]

Dos Equis for El Conquito!

RUSH ON!!!
#1 - Posted 5/30/14 @1:22PM by Runkerry

Uno, first. First first for ages.