Rush's Clockwork Angels Tour and Time Machine Tour certified Gold, Platinum by the RIAA

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2014 at 10:51AM

#24 - Posted 5/29/14 @11:25AM by CraigJ [contact]

I think some of the promise of digital distribution has been co-opted by the music labels. I mean, when you can produce your own music and sell it on iTunes, Amazon, etc, who needs a deal with a music label for distribution? I think that the bands should have the ability to simply publish directly to services like iTunes and keep 70%, but as it sits there are too many middle men in the mix. These are carryovers from when producing an album required lots of capital for production and distribution. As usual the people in the middle that add little to no value are clinging to old business models screwing things up. You see the same thing in books, cable TV, etc,

BTW I still buy some CDs - I just don't play them except to rip them. I just drove 400 miles from Phoenix to LA in my older car that only has a CD player. picking the CDs, putting them in a case and changing them during a 6 hour drive is a pain in the ass. I can say with certainty that I listen to more and different music more frequently because I have a huge library at my fingertips wherever I happen to be, I cannot wait for the new double-din Alpine head unit with CarPlay.
#23 - Posted 5/29/14 @8:51AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I will continue to buy compact discs also. I am just hoping that SACDs of "Exit... Stage Left," "Power Windows," "Test For Echo," etc. will follow the SACD release of "Presto," in the near future.
#22 - Posted 5/28/14 @2:53PM by What-A-Rush

Same here #21. And I will continue to buy CD's until the format ceases to exist completely.
#21 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:54PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I purchase CD's, old school I guess.
#20 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:19PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Also my first post was written without coffee. I could have written that better. Shame on me.
#19 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:16PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Craig, I agree. I just think the small percentage earned on free streaming sites should be adjusted toward the artist (rather than toward the men in suits). Another point on the examples you brought up...funny how downloading mp3s illegally isn't really talked about anymore too. I think sharing is a good thing which is supported a lot by artists now with a lot of them now including flac or mp3 files with the purchase of their physical albums.

I guess the consumption of music has ALWAYS drastically changed over the years. I just recently read David Byrne's book, "How Music Works" and he has some unique perspectives on the in's and out's of the industry throughout his life. The artist makes almost nothing on downloads from Itunes and way less from streaming.
#18 - Posted 5/27/14 @6:39PM by CraigJ [contact]

Just to address some points here.

1. Once CD players were added to computers in the early 90's music has been digitally bootlegged, before that is was cassette tapes. Ripping a CD is the analog of recording an LP to tape, capturing a compressed stream like from YouTube is basically the same as using a cassette to record FM radio - you get a crappy copy.

2. All the legitimate free streaming services, Pandora, Spotify, etc pay per play royalties as do satellite radio. FM pays licensing based on radio station revenue. Yes, the per play on the streaming services is less than satellite because that play on satellite could be consumed by a whole lot of subscribers whereas streaming is assumed to be a single individual.

I don't really see much material difference.

I have a force field and a flexible plan...
#17 - Posted 5/27/14 @4:51PM by conniemack99 [contact]

p.s. there are websites that let you easily convert and download YouTube videos into MP3s so you can get just about anything you want into you iTunes/iPod as well.
#16 - Posted 5/27/14 @4:48PM by conniemack99 [contact]

My son is 14 and he listens to any and everything he wants to, whenever he wants to, for FREE. Streams it all on Spotify, Pandora, or listens to whole albums on YouTube. This is why the music industry is dying. Selling a million records these days is like selling 10 million back in the day. And you can forget about ever seeing Michael or Janet Jackson type numbers ever again. Ain't gonna happen.
#15 - Posted 5/27/14 @1:44PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

#14
That should have read "free streaming." It's unfortunate if that is the only thing they listen to and they don't support the artist somehow. I know there's ad revenue but it isn't much.
#14 - Posted 5/27/14 @11:06AM by CraigJ [contact]

#13 - why unfortunately?
#13 - Posted 5/26/14 @11:12PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

It's a hard sell these days. As soon as a new album comes out it's put up on Spotify, etc. Most people will listen to music this way unfortunately. Not every fan that goes to a Rush show is gonna own the new album. It's the way it works these days...

With that said it is pretty impressive that they are doing these kinda of numbers. Good for them. They deserve it!
#12 - Posted 5/26/14 @10:59PM by What-A-Rush

I have to admit that it is surprising to think that a Rush album hasn't been certified at least gold since 'Roll The Bones'. Especially considering that RIAA certifications include physical AND digital sales. And the fact that Rush have millions of fans. Be that as it may, perhaps casual fans simply prefer the videos nowadays. That's too bad.
#11 - Posted 5/26/14 @10:38PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I hate to break it to everyone, but Rush still is a cult band.

Yes, they have received a lot of public attention and notoriety in the last several years, but it's not like they have reached a level of public standing equal to bands like U2 or the Rolling Stones (I am not arguing about whether they are better than those bands -- we all know they are -- but simply pointing out the reality).

Rush make it onto the Eddie Trunk show and Strombolopoulopoulos and their videos go are RIAA certified Gold and Platinum, but that doesn't make them "mainstream" in my book.
#10 - Posted 5/26/14 @9:56PM by chuteski [contact]

I think I can understand where Liver is coming from. I remember when Rush felt like MY band. It was almost as if Rush was like a secret between me and a few close friends. I remember having discussions about music and not even mentioning Rush because I knew the other people just weren't into them.

Now I am very proud of my love for MY band and I think the deserve every accolade they receive and many of my friends probably wish I would shut up about Rush because they are all I talk about.

Also, I think they deserve to get paid! Paid well! So, just like any love, I think the best thing we can do is share the love.
#9 - Posted 5/26/14 @7:35PM by CraigJ [contact]

#6 - I don't understand. How does the number of people that enjoy and purchase their music, whether huge or tiny, impact your enjoyment of them?
#8 - Posted 5/26/14 @7:34PM by Thelonious [contact]

#6: There are plenty of obscure, musically incompetent, critically acclaimed alt rock bands that can satisfy your inner hipster doofus.
#7 - Posted 5/26/14 @6:48PM by mark one [contact]

post 6 that make no sence. so your saying you would feel better about rush if they sold fewer dvds and cds that would make them more of a cult band. BRILLIANT
#6 - Posted 5/26/14 @6:11PM by Liverpool 78

Too much recognition for my liking; even if it is only an acknowledgement of sales.

A cult band Rush were, and a cult band they should remain.

Liver.
#5 - Posted 5/26/14 @4:32PM by OotS [contact]

If the 300,000 Rush fans who still pay for each studio album bought 100 copies of Clockwork Angels each, it would go 30x platinum and beat Thriller for greatest selling album of all-time. Come on, who's with me?! On second thought...