Rush Presto SACD from Audio Fidelity to release June 17th

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:52AM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#18 - Posted 5/21/14 @9:34AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I am very excited about this upcoming release and I plan on purchasing it as soon as possible. "Presto" is one of my all-time favorite Rush studio recordings. It originally came out after my E.A.O.S. From the U.S. Navy; I was 27 years old at that time.

Once again, here is a link to my almost 16 year old review of that album:

I am hoping that Audiofidelity will have the insight to release "Power Windows" and "Exit... Stage Left" in the not too distant future.
#17 - Posted 5/21/14 @8:28AM by rush21122 [contact]

However, Power Windows sounds perfect on SHM...
#16 - Posted 5/21/14 @8:27AM by rush21122 [contact]

I have alot of the SHM cd's and i noticed that the Sector box set version of signals sounds better than the SHM version.. The SHM version was recorded too low..
#15 - Posted 5/21/14 @12:14AM by robertrobyn [contact]

ordered cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!
#14 - Posted 5/20/14 @7:11PM by CraigJ [contact]

The question is, is it the remastering or the format? 5.1 and SS mixes aside which are a completely different story, on a decent to moderately high end system there should be zero discernible difference between 16/44 or 24/96, unless you are listening to a recording with a huge amount of dynamic range, especially if you are over 40. AFAIK no Rush albums exhibit this - most recordings that exhibit this are classical music. And all all other things being equal there should be zero actual audio difference between SACD or uncompressed digital files assuming comparable bit rates.

Now, I'm all for more information in my video and audio files, because at a minimum when you down sample to a compressed format you have more data to work with and theoretically the resulting file may have better interpolations, but IMO the engineering, mixing and mastering is really what is being heard on these types of releases, so in that regard, if, for example, Hemispheres was remixed and remastered to maximize dynamic range, and really put together well, that is much more of a reason to buy it than for the extra bits, because almost nobody has hearing keen enough to tell the difference even on a reference audio system - and most of the humans that can tell a difference are under the age of 25.

Just my two cents.
#13 - Posted 5/20/14 @6:26PM by MrBill

The SHM CD's that I found sound real good and worth the update are some that are also remastered so they sound much better than the original 80's or 90's version. Sting - Soul Cages and the first two Robbie Robertson albums are a big improvement. I picked up a Steely Dan that was not worth the price (still sounded good - but not worth $25). I have not heard any of the Rush versions.
#12 - Posted 5/20/14 @6:02PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

I kinda wish that Audio Fidelity had not released RTB on 24KG and had instead went the SACD route. I'm not a huge audiophile, although I do buy the remastered/repackaged Rush stuff, but the few SACDs I have are noticeably better sounding.
24KG and the SHM-CDs I have are not worth the money (or maybe my system is not high-end enough to tell the difference) although the repackaging is nice...
#11 - Posted 5/20/14 @5:08PM by MrBill

Also, you can get Floyd - Dark Side and Wish You Were Here on 5.1 SACD much cheaper than the BR versions and they sound Amazing!! I was bummed that Hemispheres did not include a 5.1 mix - but hey - they need to sell it to me again in 5 years!!!
#10 - Posted 5/20/14 @5:06PM by MrBill

As last post indicated - I also picked up a Sony Blu Ray for $150 that plays 5.1 and 2 channel SACD's (along with all other normal formats). There are some titles out there that are definitely worth the SACD purchase (especially if not available on Blu Ray Audio). Examples of some tasty tiles include Hemispheres ( I prefer the SACD to the HiRez downloads - much warmer sounding to me). Counting Crows - August And Everything After, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Police - Synchronicity and many other titles coming out. I would hope many more would become available on BR since that format is much more universal -but there still is a niche market for SACD.
#9 - Posted 5/20/14 @5:01PM by Graham GB38457 [contact]

Comment #2 - completely agree.

This product is a complete waste of time for most people.

Now if they remixed Presto into a 5.1 surround sound. then fine it would be worth buying. The Moving Pictures and 2112 remixes were superb. I didn't buy the Sector boxes so cannot comment on those remixes.

SACD, I'm not sure why they bother unless these products do actually sell. I guess Rush these days can sell anything.

Great album though. Wish they would play more of these tracks live.
#8 - Posted 5/20/14 @3:01PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

I ordered my copy today. BTW as to the points on this thread concerning the price of SACD players, many of Sony's newer Blu-ray players now support the format. I upgraded my Blu-Ray player last year and specifically bought an inexpensive Sony Blu-Ray player for that reason. I think it only cost me 130.00 Cdn.
#7 - Posted 5/20/14 @2:02PM by Xaromir [contact]

I wish SACD players would become affordable...
#6 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:25PM by joerock213 [contact]

If they dig into Presto for the next tour it would be really interesting. I think live versions of most of those songs would be great. The vocal range would be good for Ged too.
#5 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:19PM by CraigJ [contact]

#4 - Hand over Fist over Lizard over Spock.
#4 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:12PM by KLR2112 [contact]

Red Tide or Hand over Fist would be pretty cool...
#3 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:07PM by CraigJ [contact]

#1 - probably a better chance of that than them playing I Think I'm Going Bald...
#2 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:06PM by CraigJ [contact]

I'm even more uninterested in SACD than ever. Quote "SACD is basically impenetrable. No unlicensed drive can read the HD content at all, and a PC won't even see it. There are no PC-based players. Some Sony Vaio systems support DSD audio, but only for internal use; great for audio professionals preparing SACD content, perhaps, but they still won't play commercial SACDs."

This basically means that unless you have a specific player for SACD that supports DSD playback, that all you will be playing back is the redbook layer. In other words for most people the bit depth and sampling rate is identical to a regular old CD - nothing special at all. The good stuff is locked away behind a proprietary format that needs a special player. The companies behind the SACD and DVD-A formats have gone well out of their way to disable fair-use of the content. I would avoid this crap like the plague (unless you like gold CDs that is...)
#1 - Posted 5/20/14 @1:01PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Would love to see them play Chain Lightning on the next tour but probably will not happen.