Rush Presto SACD from Audio Fidelity coming soon

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:50PM

#31 - Posted 5/17/14 @10:15AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Or to put it another way:

1. link

6. Permanent Waves
7. Snakes & Arrows
8. Signals
9. Hemispheres
10. Test For Echo
#29 - Posted 5/15/14 @11:51PM by CraigJ [contact]

I think Neil is right. Bravado and The Pass are two of the best songs from their respective albums.

Presto is my least favorite album, but I do like Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Available Light and Hand Over Fist. They should do that one in concert and add lizards and Spock... I try to like Anagram For Mongo (Mel Brooks Fan) but it just doesn't quite do it for me.

On Roll The Bones my favorites are Bravado, Roll The Bones, Where's My Thing, and Heresy. I know that Dreamline is popular and they seem to like to play it live, but not my favorite.

Both albums sound a bit "thin" to me... And CA sounds way to thick. GuP seems to strike the right balance to me.
#28 - Posted 5/15/14 @4:59PM by dinoman [contact]

I love Bravest Face, "yodeling" and all.
It, in my opinion, is one of the times when one the "quirky" ways Geddy sometimes sings works for the song. Kind of like the "Whoa whoao oh whoaho whoa"s in Larger Bowl. I think it really works and sounds very mournful which certainly fits the tone and theme of the song.
However, I think the "Whoa-oh"s detracted significantly from One Little Victory.

My opinion, that is all.
#27 - Posted 5/15/14 @3:47PM by chutch15 [contact]

Really? War Paint? I've always found that song to be rather weak. "Boys and girls together" - not great lyrics. Not "Virtuality" bad, but not good either. I'm also not a big fan of "The Pass." Never have been.

I understand the split reaction to "Superconductor". It certainly has some cheese, the Rupert Hine-echoed chorus, for example - but I've always liked the main riff.
#26 - Posted 5/15/14 @2:13PM by Micky [contact]

Cagster sucks more than SuperC !
#25 - Posted 5/15/14 @2:33AM by cpb [contact]

"Bravado" is the Rush song Rush loves more than Rush fans and the Rush fans are wrong.

"Roll The Bones" is the Rush song Rush loves more than Rush fans and the Rush fans are right.

BECAUSE I SAY SO THAT'S WHY

dammit
#24 - Posted 5/15/14 @1:40AM by cagster [contact]

I may get tortured here but I also like Bravado, Heresey, Resist, Making Memories, Everyday Glory, Available Light, Lakeside Park, and Losing it more than The Garden. I do like The Garden but I like all of these songs more.
#23 - Posted 5/15/14 @1:31AM by cagster [contact]

Yes but Superconductor still sucks.
#22 - Posted 5/14/14 @10:30PM by chuteski [contact]

I just listened to "Presto" front to back, the original version I bought when it came out. this disk sounds great, especially at high volumes. The Pass into Warpaint into Scars into Presto is one of my neighbors favorites.
#21 - Posted 5/14/14 @1:28PM by CraigJ [contact]

Still looking for technical info on this. What is the bitrate? Is it hybrid or single layer? Their website is seriously lacking in technical info. if it's not 24/192 or 64x DSD what's the point?
#20 - Posted 5/14/14 @12:51PM by rush21122 [contact]

Yes, the yodeling on bravest face was really mush. really bad... I caught him doing that type of style on a live version of earthshine... yikes. sing like the record.
#19 - Posted 5/14/14 @12:50PM by Micky [contact]

What's wrong with SUPERCONDUCTOR ???????
You SOLONI, I LOVE IT INSTEAD, and that's enough said.
#18 - Posted 5/14/14 @10:26AM by Homey M Holmes

Trouble in Paradise.
#17 - Posted 5/14/14 @9:54AM by OotS [contact]

Speaking of Superconductor, Rush pulled off one of the most absurd medleys of all-time when they did an abbreviated Xanadu that segued into Superconductor. "drink the milk of paradise", a quick cowbell hit and right into "packaged like a rebel or a hero..."

This is no joke:
#16 - Posted 5/14/14 @3:37AM by Redcygnus [contact]

I must be in the minority about Superconductor. I like the lyrical message about the entertainment business that has only gotten worse in the last 25 years. I know the song is thought by many people to be too much of a straight ahead rocker song with little of the normal Rush interplay present in their songs. I do think the arrangement is the weakest part of the song due to it being too repetitive causing the song to be too long by about 1 minute.

Tighten up the song, add a dynamic music interplay between all three guys and the song would be great. At minimum, it is missing a soaring guitar solo by Lerxst.

I have noticed that I differ quite a bit from many of the regular posters on here about what songs are good and bad by Rush. I think that speaks to the strength overall in Rush's music that it doesn't appeal to everyone the same way.
#15 - Posted 5/13/14 @10:19PM by cagster [contact]

Agree OotS, Superconductor is on my 10 worst Rush songs. War Paint Rocks. This album is hit and miss for me.
#14 - Posted 5/13/14 @10:04PM by drummerboy2112

Love presto as an album, and it's interesting to see all the opinions about this cd. It hit a nerve with me perfectly when I was at college and as a drummer, these songs are very fun to play. War paint is my favorite Song and superconductor is just crazy to play on the drums. Seeing the live video boots of the songs make it even Better. I even love the production, even if it sounds a bit thin, to me it speaks volumes to the dynamic palate these boys have. I'm sure I made some spelling mistakes but my iPhone is in charge right now
#13 - Posted 5/13/14 @9:26PM by OotS [contact]

#12 - I think the verses to Bravest Face and Good News First don't sound very Rush-like either, but I like both songs quite a bit. Although the voice-cracking-yodel-thing that Geddy does in the Bravest Face verses could be Rush's worst musical decision since Tai Shan. "I like that show where they solve (insert voice cracking yodel) all the murders..."
#12 - Posted 5/13/14 @8:33PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Presto and Available Light are the two standouts on this album for this old fella.

As far as songs that just don't "sound" like a Rush tune I would include:

Superconductor
Neurotica
Virtuality
Dog Years

Post 1997 events I would say the only awkward Rush song is:

The Stars Look Down

The lyrics I think are what does these songs in, because the music is pretty solid otherwise.

DC