Paul Northfield talks Le Studio and Rush in new interview

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 9:12PM

#39 - Posted 4/19/14 @7:11PM by Liverpool 78

...I did write that it was all bollocks, although it would appear that if the equipment is good enough, and positioned just so, then anything is possible.

An active imagination helps however.

Liver.
#38 - Posted 4/19/14 @10:23AM by CraigJ [contact]

What have you been smoking? You can't smell sound. /chainyank
#37 - Posted 4/18/14 @5:43PM by Liverpool 78

They didn't really cost me $6,500 - I was just talking bollocks like a few others :-)

Still pretty good headphones though - when I listened to Hemispheres this morning following Lamb Saag's post I could actually SMELL Danforth and Pape.

Famous Grouse is a quite nice blended scoth whiskey by the way. I'm enjoying one now as it happens.

Liver.
#36 - Posted 4/18/14 @11:46AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Those must be some pretty gnarly headphones.
#35 - Posted 4/18/14 @10:31AM by CraigJ [contact]

Maybe Neil needs an anal microphone to fix his drum sound. link
#34 - Posted 4/18/14 @8:48AM by jupeguy [contact]

Arise from your stupor and heed The Birds of Satan!
#33 - Posted 4/17/14 @9:23PM by jupeguy [contact]

Liver probably conked out during The Garden...it would've lulled him off to dreamland, if he made it that far.
#32 - Posted 4/17/14 @9:09PM by michinman [contact]

Seriously though. Despite the fact I was lost with a lot of the technical details, this was a great listen. And Alex's multiple tracks on MP are now evident as someone mentioned earlier.
#31 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:59PM by michinman [contact]

How much does an anal microphone go for these days?
#30 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:56PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

re: #24

QUOTE: "...As long as you've got a good pair of headphones on - and mine cost me $6,5000 dollars - then I am able to determine the positioning of the anal microphone for those all important moments when a fart might bounce off a window."

Liver, you must surely be listening to "Hemispheres" - since that is the only Rush album "processed through the Duffoscope." (It even says so in the liner notes.)

: )
#29 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:40PM by michinman [contact]

This is why I don't drink and post anymore. lol. You do have some good points though liver, if I may say so.
#28 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:39PM by jiminseattle [contact]

This thread is a poppin now. Woohoo, have a drink for me. It is farging pouring down rain, now this is Seattle.
#27 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:28PM by jupeguy [contact]

That "Famous Grouse" stuff you're sipping must be pretty potent! Keep 'er going Liver! Have one for me. Cheers!
#26 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:21PM by Liverpool 78

Sorry, I meant to write 'goose' but I am a little bit squiffy so I supposew aisjfbasjhcfba sdjcfhgdhg k.lyhliurfdyjhf b taxi!!!

Liver.
#25 - Posted 4/17/14 @8:18PM by Liverpool 78

Just absorb the music peeps! There's no need to analisye it.

Let the good bumps tingle.

Liver.
#24 - Posted 4/17/14 @7:47PM by Liverpool 78

As I sit here in my nice warm alcoholic eurphoria watching/listening to 'where's My Thing? Oh, Here It Is' through my headphones I can't help but think that all is well in the world of Rush from a sonic point of view.

Liver.
#23 - Posted 4/17/14 @7:30PM by Liverpool 78

You DID come back at me but I STILL don't care.

:-)))))))))))

Liver.
#22 - Posted 4/17/14 @7:28PM by Liverpool 78

Aaahh Analog Kid - definitely sounds like Big Al has a passive clenched between his butt cheeks... just look at his face during the instrumental.

Have a nice day y'all.

Liver.
#21 - Posted 4/17/14 @7:27PM by MGRushFan

Actually Liver, I was a recording engineer for many years, but don't worry, I won't come back at you.

Also Craig J, Signals was recorded at LS, as well as GUP. Those records sound much darker than MP and PW. I think Presto was as well, which was all top end. Anyhow, I hope you don't think I'm personally coming at you. I'm just trying to argue my point that it's very hard to hear what you, as you admitted, only "think" you hear.
#20 - Posted 4/17/14 @7:22PM by Liverpool 78

Evening all

As I sit here sipping a Famous Grouse whilst I listen to /watch the Clockwork Angels Blue Ray I just feel the need to write that some of you are probably talking a right load of bollocks. You weren't there, you don't know and you're not recording engineers.

Don't bother coming back at me because I won't care.

Ooh!! Territories has just started - I wonder which mic they stuffed up Geddy's arse to get that deep warm sound?

Liver.