Happy 30th anniversary Grace Under Pressure!

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 10:09AM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#63 - Posted 4/18/14 @6:55AM by Micky [contact]

Pick level of Rush evolution is MP.
Signals is the top level of Rush de-evolution which has HYF at the lowest point, strictly followed by G/P.
Then there is a stasis phase with Presto being the best album of it. IMHO just lacking a serious production, but songwriting is excellent.
Maturity evolution started with Counterparts and peaking up with CA. Vapor Trails is an excellent album among the others, specially after being properly disclosed with the Remix version. And S&A too, despite many detractors of it. Songwriting is solid ( despite the many layers which do not lower down the quality ).
I'm expecting a new step up in this current re-evolution phase, possibly shortly ! :-)
#62 - Posted 4/18/14 @1:35AM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

#58-The line "The Soviets are the Blues" is the worst. I just cannot stand that line-I get where Neil was coming from at the time, but it (to me) is a rare example of Neil focusing on something more specific and pretty much instantly dated-than his usual more universal-and more timeless-themes in his writing. They can't all be winners. "Virtuality" makes me hit the skip button, too.
#61 - Posted 4/17/14 @10:55AM by lapirata2 [contact]

This album came up my senior year in high school. I bought Signals a couple years earlier and say them on the New World Man tour. Having been blown away I picked up ATWAS and Hemispheres and loved every second off of all 3 albums. I can still remember the day BTW was released on the radio. I had no idea what the jarring "DANT, DANT, DANT, DANT" was about but I did not like it at all. Once it hooked into the chorus I liked it. Fav is Afterimage. Love the bass on "I see Red". Just could never get into this album as badly as I wanted to.
#60 - Posted 4/16/14 @4:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I like Als guitar work now more than ever. Just me.
#59 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:53PM by random_sample [contact]

#56- Yup. Agreed. Now, someone tell Alex Lifeson that...please!! :P
#58 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:52PM by random_sample [contact]

#57- could you elaborate on what you mean by the lyrics to Red Lenses being "dated"? By 2014 standards or 1984 standards? Obviously, by 2014 standards, they might sound "dated", well...because the lyrics were written 30+ years ago. But by 1984 standards...they don't really sound "dated",to me.
#57 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:59AM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

OK so GUP is an awesome album-except for Red Lenses-I'm sorry-it's got some of the most dated and cheesy lyrics EVER. Afterimage, Kid Gloves and Between the Wheels are amazing.
However..."Girls with Guns"?? that song rocks!! Thanks for the big dumb grin.
#56 - Posted 4/15/14 @5:58PM by CraigJ [contact]

#3 Yes. I remember listening the radio broadcast of the Album (and recording it of course) and thinking that there was some sort of static, then thinking that the vinyl I got was bad and coming to the conclusion that all the pressings were bad. Then I figured it out.

#55 Anyone who thinks Signals, GuP or PW are just "synth" albums isn't listening hard enough (and you don't have to listen that hard). The guitar in "The Weapon" - (drops mic).
#55 - Posted 4/15/14 @2:37PM by random_sample [contact]

#53/ #51 - I feel the same way. I think some of Alex's BEST guitar work is on the so-called keyboard era albums.
#54 - Posted 4/15/14 @11:57AM by Friz [contact]

#49 "When did Marillion open for Rush?"

I saw them open for Rush at Radio City in September 1983. You can find all the other times they've opened up for Rush here:

#53 - Posted 4/15/14 @8:56AM by MGRushFan

I love signals, grace and hold your fire. I only like power windows. I agree that Alex was in many ways at his best during this period as he had to challenge himself to be more of a mood player than a lead player. Afterimage in particular has to me his most soulful lines of all time in the chorus. I wish they would bring that one back, but I'd imagine that Peart probably can't handle the feelings brought on by the lyrics.
#52 - Posted 4/14/14 @11:12PM by CraigJ [contact]

I could listen to Signals, possible minus Chemistry and New World Man, in a continuous loop all day. In fact, I have.
#51 - Posted 4/14/14 @9:59PM by conniemack99 [contact]

You know it never struck me until the "Clockwork Windows Tour" (as I like to call it) that some of Alex's best, most creative, most innovative guitar work is on the so-called "keyboard era" albums. Alex is on record as saying that this period was very challenging for him, but I truly do believe that going through this made him a better guitarist and songwriter.

p.s. I LOVE Signals and Grace Under Pressure; I REALLY LIKE Power Windows, and I LIKE Hold Your Fire.
#50 - Posted 4/14/14 @7:32PM by CraigJ [contact]

I like Red Lenses primarily because of the lyrics. But the laid back bass line is nice too. Favorite song on the album, well that's hard to pick. The four best to me are Body Electric, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within and After Image.
#49 - Posted 4/14/14 @7:14PM by Denny Crane [contact]

Absolutely LOVE this album... although I would say Red Lenses is my least favorite song on it, but that is still giving it some high regard.

I would rank it among one of my favorite RUSH albums.

When did Marillion open for RUSH? I still enjoy "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws" to this very day. If you like Fish, go check out some of his solo work on the youtube. He lost his voice (mostly) but still puts a lot of genuine emotion into his performances.

DC
#48 - Posted 4/14/14 @5:37PM by PLesinski [contact]

I was just listening to the live version of Red Sector A (from the GUP reissue that had the live bonus disc) and man is that song awesome. Anyone who thinks Alex's guitar took second or third place in importance needs to crank up Red Sector A - it's pretty much all amazing guitar over that synth bass pulse.

Also agree that Afterimage and Between the Wheels really stand out. Was my first 'new' Rush album back in the day, and my first tour. I remember when the synth patch came in for the center section of Afterimage, the band had been playing way too fast and Neil had to sloooooow it down very quickly to catch up with the patch! Good times...
#47 - Posted 4/14/14 @5:21PM by CraigJ [contact]

If by "blows" you mean "awesome", then you're goddam right!
#46 - Posted 4/14/14 @4:31PM by Homey M Holmes

Red Lenses blows. However, it's true that it's generally a great guitar album; Alex saves it, as much as possible, with his innovative voicings. He really came up with something new that contributed heavily to the "sci-fi" sound. No one would care about something like "Kid Gloves" were it not for the guitar solo. Even the tone on "Afterimage" is excellent.
#45 - Posted 4/14/14 @3:55PM by CraigJ [contact]