New Neil Peart news update at NeilPeart.net

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 9:08PM

#34 - Posted 3/21/14 @7:48PM by jupeguy [contact]

#30-Agreed and well said.
#33 - Posted 3/21/14 @6:34PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Great post random_sample. Neil's the man.
#32 - Posted 3/20/14 @10:35PM by CraigJ [contact]

#31 - I think a whole lot of people say a whole lot of things on the Internet that they wouldn't dare say to someone's face. I am occasionally guilty of this myself, but when I think I might be crossing a line I do try to remember to ask myself, "if the person you are speaking to or about was sitting across from you would you say that?". I personally have no opinion about Neil's parenting skills, or his nose. He seems like a kind caring person for the most part, and that's that.

I do take issue with shut up and play drums comments. If that's all he did Rush wouldn't be around today. I suppose Geddy and Alex could write lyrics, but well, no.

As for any upcoming tour? My credit card is ready.
#31 - Posted 3/20/14 @6:50PM by random_sample [contact]

wow. I've made critical comments about Neil and been attacked viciously and relentlessly on here, then I see #19's comments about Neil. Talk about the ultimate personal attack on Neil, as a father.
My opinion....#1 . It's none of our business how Neil spends ANY of his time, whether he retires, Rush makes a few more albums, tours more, etc etc....
#2. Neil doesn't have the average father's life. Since his daughter was born, he's toured quite a bit. There are trade offs there ,and I am sure he's aware of it. He brings in some serious money, for him ,his wife and daughter to live very comfortably. They live in the house they live in, because Neil has done what he does. He's in a pretty successful band and part of that, is touring.
You ,or most other fathers go to work, and come home and can spend time with their kids on a daily basis . You can't really compare your lifestyle with someone like Neil Peart and shake your head, wondering why he wouldn't spend more time with his daughter.
It's obvious to me, he loves his little daughter like crazy. He's also the type of person who (this is pretty well documented, isn't it?) enjoys his solitary time, when he can . His wife understands this, I am sure.
Anyway, your comments on Neil's fatherhood really struck me as strange and way, way worse than anything I have (or others) have said, regarding Neil. His nose looking red, etc. Criticize someone's role as a father....that is mega personal and harsh .
#30 - Posted 3/20/14 @6:16PM by felicia [contact]

For all the folks who posted judgmental comments about Neil's lifestyle - why don't you post a diary of your life, and see what being judged feels like. Seriously - if you're reading his posts, you should appreciate that this is a privilege to get this glimpse into his private life. These are some fairly intimate thoughts being shared with us. Pretty sure no one is being asked to provide snark or other derisive comments just because his lifestyle doesn't mesh with what you think is The Best Way To Live.

I, for one, was moved to tears at the end. Having had a rash of deaths of friends and loved ones these past few years, it really hit home.
#29 - Posted 3/20/14 @3:41PM by nodrush [contact]

More importantly, when is the big premier for mg's drum instructional video? Expert on everything Peart....we'll finally get to see his famed chops, better yet his nose, hope he's got great lighting in his parent's basement.
#28 - Posted 3/20/14 @1:59PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

I too assumed that the arrangement was negotiated before they had kids. His role seems more like a grandpa than a dad in some ways. Again, if that's what the wife signed up for then who am I to judge?

While it's none of my business, I wonder how much it worries him that his daughter will likely lose her father at a relatively young age. If he croaks when he's around 80 then she won't be much older than Selena was.

Okay, sorry for the buzzkill. On a lighter note, it looks like he's still rocking the C.A. wool cap that the fan made for him.
#27 - Posted 3/20/14 @1:45PM by CraigJ [contact]

Forget all that shit. I want to talk about his big red nose.
#26 - Posted 3/20/14 @12:51PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

thanks Gedfan! a little more indirect, but indeed it's there. It was hard to not be thinking about Scars too -- "snow falls deep around my house" physically, and "atmospheric changes make them sensitive again" emotionally.
#25 - Posted 3/20/14 @12:42PM by omegabrain [contact]

I don't think his being away is weird. I'm sure they are both strong and independent people, and southern Cali has a lot to offer a young child. Part of the "artistic temperament" is solitude to create and reflect. Balance is very important, as is time alone and self-identity. Sounds like they've got it down. :)
#24 - Posted 3/20/14 @12:08PM by Gedfan [contact]

#20. you missed the 'lofty oaks' (The Trees) reference too!
#23 - Posted 3/19/14 @10:56PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Nicely done Neil, very sweet stories about your daughter.
#22 - Posted 3/19/14 @9:47PM by drummerboy2112

I sensed that this post came quickly, it flowed right from the beginning. Great read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and very touching. Thanks Neil for the update and the fun pictures, a perfect diversion for this daddy of an almost 4 1/2 yr old girl as well!
#21 - Posted 3/19/14 @8:15PM by holeinone53575

One of the better updates from Neil. My guess is he set the record straight with Carrie before he married her that he was a loner at times. My wife and I gave each other space, plenty of it and in the end too much. I hope Neil doesn't have the same fate. Life does throw plenty of curve balls.
#20 - Posted 3/19/14 @6:41PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

In addition to the direct "headlong flight" reference, couldn't help but notice "silent forest" (Time and Motion) and "edge of control" (Driven).

RR - yeah, it's curious, but there's no arguing the time he does spend with her is high quality. And in addition to being an "older" father, it's also his 2nd go-round after lots of loss. These times of solitude seem to have always been important to him, and perhaps are more so now. And no doubt they are negotiated back in SoCal. But if you think he doesn't long for the family life when away, you're forgetting about all his past updates...

Also, he must have seen my appeal last time for more bird talk. and Lamb, Nat Geo or Sibley, Stokes stinks.
#19 - Posted 3/19/14 @6:10PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Maybe it's just me...but what father with a little girl spends AT LEAST a month away from home and only sees his family for a week out of that month?

I guess that being away on tour much of last year didn't make him long for the family life that much. This is not a personal attack, just an observation. Maybe it's what 'older' fathers do?

All in all, a nice essay and like most of the rest of you, pleased it was not a political or religious hit piece.

RR
#18 - Posted 3/19/14 @5:38PM by Denny Crane [contact]

This was a very enjoyable update from Neil.

DC
#17 - Posted 3/19/14 @4:06PM by MGRushFan

@16, LOL!!! Yeah, Peart. Shut up and play yer drums!
#16 - Posted 3/19/14 @3:27PM by hazlnut [contact]

Yawn... make another album. Our tour.
#15 - Posted 3/19/14 @3:24PM by krush2112 [contact]

I choked up and cried a little after reading Neil's latest post. He always writes so eloquently and poignantly...But this one hit close to home. I lost my brother Steve on October 19th, 2012. To suicide. He was a huge Rush fan, and he was the one who turned me on to them. A true gift that I will forever be thankful to him for. Reading Neil's very honest and frank words about grief gave me comfort and hope. I truly thank Neil for sharing his thoughts and experiences.