American Idol contestant Caleb Johnson performs Rush's Working Man

Posted on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 10:54PM

#35 - Posted 3/17/14 @9:29AM by OperationRush [contact]

#11 Yep, agreed on the Chris Cornell sound-a-like.
#34 - Posted 3/8/14 @10:55PM by Thelonious [contact]

His interpretation of Working Man wasn't bad. The fact is, someone singing a Rush song (even badly) lends American Idol more credibility than it deserves. The real issue is with Harry Connick's criticism. There is a certain irony when someone who's a judge on American Idol (the epitome of musical predictability and anti-creativity) questions whether a singer will bring anything "new" to rock & roll and criticizes him for being predictable.
#33 - Posted 3/7/14 @3:33PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

It's a no for me, dog.
#32 - Posted 3/7/14 @8:31AM by vaporsdad. [contact]

Sucked...that is all...
#31 - Posted 3/7/14 @8:15AM by mysticbeat [contact]

#21, Wow, those guys are really good. Maybe they will play up my way
some day. Would be a good addition for one of our big festivals ie Merlefest or
LEAF fest.
#30 - Posted 3/7/14 @6:55AM by joerock213 [contact]

Hey! The semi-pro karaoke show!
#29 - Posted 3/6/14 @11:09PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

The only previous time I watched American Idol, a nerd was singing Tom Sawyer...

#28 - Posted 3/6/14 @10:06PM by drmike [contact]

I enjoyed that. Hard rockin song with hard rockin vocals. Band looked like they were having a great time (but is it Alex or Geddy that plays the tambourine??). From the crowd response, including the other contestants, there's still some mileage left on good ol' hard rock.
#27 - Posted 3/6/14 @9:49PM by CraigJ [contact]

I like my produce to be GMO. With a side of polysorbate-60.
#26 - Posted 3/6/14 @5:39PM by Greenewolfe [contact]

Just wish they carried more organic vegetables.
#25 - Posted 3/6/14 @4:57PM by CraigJ [contact]

Right On! Wal*Mart!
#24 - Posted 3/6/14 @4:44PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Walmart!
#23 - Posted 3/6/14 @4:01PM by CraigJ [contact]

#20. What's wrong with Walmart? ;-/
#22 - Posted 3/6/14 @2:56PM by dinoman [contact]

hmmm...seems the link didn't work. Well, if interested, look 'em up on YouTube. I recommend "Mariner's Revenge" and "Deep Water".
#21 - Posted 3/6/14 @2:54PM by dinoman [contact]

I would never have known about this if not for the great and wonderful Ed. I'm about as far from an American Idol fan as you can be (I don't bash it or anything, I just have never had any inkling of interest), but I'm glad to know about this. Thanks Ed!

#18 - You should look up a band called the Wholetones on you tube. Local band down here in southwest Florida. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_onrCxIUvBw
#20 - Posted 3/6/14 @2:53PM by Greenewolfe [contact]

First Walmart, Now American Idol.....YUCK!
#19 - Posted 3/6/14 @2:08PM by KLR2112 [contact]

the kid is pretty good. The hits just keep coming for the boys don't they.
#18 - Posted 3/6/14 @11:03AM by mysticbeat [contact]

Never watch this show but I used to when it first started out, when they would
show the botched auditions which were really hilarious. But now I find it
totally boring. But this was really good, kudos to this guy. It is also
cool to know that there is a fellow fan who lives only 50 miles north of me!
Rush fans are few and far between around my area of the country (Carolinas).
Up in Asheville where he lives bluegrass rules. Ever hear of Slamgrass, progressive bluegrass? There are some killer musicians. Sam Bush and Bela Fleck, to name a couple.
#17 - Posted 3/6/14 @10:57AM by CraigJ [contact]

On another another note, Yeah, the drummer was really into it and really good. Like finally a real song to play instead of the usual crap. I liked the double bass action. The guitar was really good to. The bass was serviceable.
#16 - Posted 3/6/14 @10:50AM by CraigJ [contact]

On another note I'd like to hear this guy cover some Maiden and Priest...