Rush makes Fox News list of 11 bands better than The Beatles

Posted on Friday, February 7, 2014 at 2:01PM

#22 - Posted 2/10/14 @10:24AM by Rubinowits [contact]

I'm just amazed that Fix News er I mean Fox Noise put Rash anywhere in this list.
#21 - Posted 2/9/14 @12:17PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

CraigJ,

It's quite interesting how you had mentioned Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

It was relatively easy for me to make the transition from the music of Mozart and Tchaikovsky to the music of Rush.

When I had first heard "Hemispheres," a new world had finally opened up for me. However, it would not be until the autumn of 1980, when I would hear it once again.

By then, I had discovered the music of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, namely 'Scheherezade,' and The Moody Blues via songs called 'Nights In White Satin' and 'Tuesday Afternoon.'

Posted by Enigmaticus on Saturday, 02.8.14 @ 12:28pm
#20 - Posted 2/9/14 @10:55AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

In terms of influence, I would argue that The Beatles were far more influential than any of those previously mentioned bands. However, compared with those other artists, I would say that Rush sits in the position just below The Beatles. I have never really understood the obsession with Radiohead, by the way. Therefore, with regard to those artists, I think that this ranking should look more like this, instead:

1. Rush
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Clash
5. The Band
6. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
7. The Velvet Underground
8. U2
9. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
10. Radiohead
11. The Replacements
#19 - Posted 2/8/14 @8:06PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Agreed #18. The Beatles shook the earth in the 60's and early 70's and still are today IMHO.
#18 - Posted 2/8/14 @6:56PM by mkefromTO [contact]

The one this the Beatles have over all groups is cultural impact. No other band has that. They changed the music sceen in a short amount of time. They were only around for seven years. It took Rush seven years to get to Tom Sawyer.
#17 - Posted 2/8/14 @6:33PM by idrum2 [contact]

What's with all the hatin' on the Clash? Most influential/intelligent punk band of all time.

Two huge ommissions: The Ramones and Queen. They could easy replace Springstein and Tom Petty.
#16 - Posted 2/8/14 @3:58PM by Greenewolfe [contact]

This may be the only thing I agree on with fox News...Maybe they like Neil's Ayn Rand crush, before she became the queen of the fanatical right.
#15 - Posted 2/8/14 @1:38PM by Alan Edwards [contact]

Velvet Underground?? The Clash?? All credibility lost.
#14 - Posted 2/7/14 @9:06PM by What-A-Rush

The mere thought that I finally agree with Fox on SOMETHING is UNPRECEDENTED in and of itself: Rush are indeed better than the Beatles! But I digress. That said, the FACT that people still can't get enough of them speaks volumes on their impact and influence in popular music history! Happy 50th anniversary to the Fab Four! Quite a milestone!

But then again, I most certainly would pick Rush OVER Zeppelin any day of the week as well! So I guess I'm back to disagreeing with Fox as usual! Be that as it may, I enjoyed reading the list! Great comments everybody. Thanks RIAB!
#13 - Posted 2/7/14 @5:15PM by clockworkingman [contact]

#10, I basically mean that I can just imagine music snobs talking among themselves, saying 'Of course Fox News would say that Rush is better than the Beatles...don't you know that they're avid supporters of Ayn Rand? Rush is so right wing'.

Or something like that...

But yes, MSNBC, yahoo, Sun news etc...are all equally capable of generating questionable content.
#12 - Posted 2/7/14 @4:52PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

Anytime Rush is mentioned is good...
#11 - Posted 2/7/14 @3:47PM by CraigJ [contact]

I hate lists like this regardless of the source. Better is subjective, unless you're talking about specifics like number of albums sold, or concert gross, etc. Better than who based on what criteria? Define "best"

Personally I think they are better than any other modern act, but that's my opinion. are they better than Mozart? or Tchaikovsky? I'd say no, but in the same league.
#10 - Posted 2/7/14 @3:43PM by CraigJ [contact]

#8, yes, it would have been so much better if it was from MSNBC.
#9 - Posted 2/7/14 @3:17PM by robertkincaid96 [contact]

After thinking about it I think # 2 jiminseattle and # 3Lists are for tourists...posts are correct and mine is wrong. I was kind of hoping to delete my post because I was thinking Rush was not deserving to be on the list at all. matter of fact it is quite demeaning to list Rush on that list and to post any Rush news on the Rush Blog. Maybe Ed can delete it off and you 2 can.....
#8 - Posted 2/7/14 @3:13PM by clockworkingman [contact]

I'd like this list a whole lot more if it didn't come from Fox News!

Not sure I actually agree, because the impact of the Beatles in the space of 8 short years is pretty much incalculable. But I would argue that Rush have very few peers when it comes to not just career longevity, but vitality over the course of that very long career. These last 2 albums are among their essential works, in my opinion.
#7 - Posted 2/7/14 @2:53PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Now this is about the silliest thing I have ever read. The Beatles, Rush and Zep are in leagues all their own. There is no comparison.
#6 - Posted 2/7/14 @2:52PM by joerock213 [contact]

I guess my biggest problem with the list is U2. What a terrible band, and Bono is off the Couric-scale as a giant turd. In fact,

My "top 5 mistakes of this list" list are:

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Tom Petty
4. The Replacements
5. The Clash
#5 - Posted 2/7/14 @2:46PM by snowdog20 [contact]

What... no Nickleback?
#4 - Posted 2/7/14 @2:42PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

That means... Rush is bigger than Jesus!?

; )
#3 - Posted 2/7/14 @2:38PM by Alexfan [contact]

Lists are for tourists...