Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith jokes about playing Rush's 2112 at Superbowl halftime show

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 8:51AM

#22 - Posted 1/31/14 @10:30AM by clockworkingman [contact]

The NME article about this on Tuesday or Wednesday was hilarious. They just took Chad's words as gospel and ran with it. I can't find the article anymore, so maybe they took in down...it didn't exactly make them look clever!

It would be pretty cool if they played just a snipped of Dazed and Confused or 2112, to acknowledge this unintended 'controversy' this week. I thought it was all pretty amusing!
#21 - Posted 1/31/14 @7:38AM by tr1gger [contact]

Well put Craig !
#20 - Posted 1/31/14 @6:51AM by Lerxster [contact]

Right before the 2112 quip, Smith said, "I was at a Grammy party...'So, you're doing the Super Bowl, what song are you gonna play?' I can't really like talk about that, it's supposed to be a surprise, so I'm like, 'Oh, doing the live version of "Dazed And Confused" by Led Zeppelin.' (laughs) And they ran with it! Really? Anyone who knows anything about the Super Bowl and/or music should know Led Zeppelin does a very long version, the Super Bowl is 12 minutes long, and we're just the special guest."
#19 - Posted 1/31/14 @6:46AM by Lerxster [contact]

Greedy little Priests in a sea of distress
Father Brown keep more so you receive less
Unimpressed by your six string excess
Assume control me say hell yes
#18 - Posted 1/30/14 @10:33PM by CraigJ [contact]

The RRHoF indictment was just on HBO, and I caught the good parts. Love it when Geddy mimes bashing Alex with his award. Very good stuff.
#17 - Posted 1/30/14 @7:27PM by CraigJ [contact]

1975 but who's counting? ;-) (released in '76, recorded in '75 in Toronto)

Sorry, I'm feeling pedantic today.
#16 - Posted 1/30/14 @6:59PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

#14

That is really powerful. It's almost as good as something Neil would have written back in '76 or so.
#15 - Posted 1/30/14 @6:55PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Amazing, thanks Craig.
#14 - Posted 1/30/14 @6:34PM by CraigJ [contact]

WORDS TO LIVE BY:

Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

Waiting for someone to call
And turn your world around
Looking for an answer
To the question you have found
Looking for
An open door

You don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer
Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor
And the beat of your own song

You don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be
#13 - Posted 1/30/14 @6:10PM by SA [contact]

The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes!
#12 - Posted 1/30/14 @5:19PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

Civic pride = a bunch of anxious noisy sheep

I believed what I was told
I thought it was a good life
I thought I was happy
Then I found something that changed it all...
#11 - Posted 1/30/14 @5:10PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

Under the bridge downtown.... my life blood spills over!
#10 - Posted 1/30/14 @4:08PM by hannuFIN [contact]

12. This time For Jim and The Seattle ;) Go Hawks ! Will watch the game, as I have the last 25 SB's so far I somehow remember (normally I am a fan of Italian Serie A football/soccer some say, for the past 28 years) Have seen the divisional NFL playoffs as well for many seasons. Deep Purple live before the game here.
#9 - Posted 1/30/14 @3:59PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Oh duh, you said not Nascar. Sorry bout that.
#8 - Posted 1/30/14 @3:57PM by jiminseattle [contact]

True Craig, to each his/her own and this is what makes the world go round. Nascar to me is incredibly boring watching cars run around in a circle. I dig your posts though man, you are right on when it comes to Rush.
#7 - Posted 1/30/14 @3:54PM by CraigJ [contact]

To each their own! Watching football, baseball, etc on TV is like watching paint dry to me, although I do like a good race. (And by good race I mean a 24 hour series race, a nice road course race or rally racing. Not NASCAR.)

With the heart and mind united in a single, perfect, sphere. link
#6 - Posted 1/30/14 @3:32PM by jiminseattle [contact]

True football fans. :>)

Chad Smith is a whaling drummer.
#5 - Posted 1/30/14 @12:53PM by jaeger [contact]

The only reason for the SB is the wicked commercials!
#4 - Posted 1/30/14 @12:08PM by jiminseattle [contact]

If there were no commercials and a short half time that would be heaven to me. I want to watch football, not the rest of the crap.
#3 - Posted 1/30/14 @10:06AM by CraigJ [contact]

That's about the only thing that would get me to watch any part of the Super Bowl. Would be funny if they came out wearing socks and had wardrobe malfunctions... (if you're wondering what I'm referring to, link )

The best part about the Super Bowl is the commercials and they are all on YouTube anyway.