Rush's Clockwork Angels tour makes Pollstar's list of the top tours of 2013

Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 9:02AM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#57 - Posted 1/17/14 @5:53PM by random_sample [contact]

Some really interesting comments in this thread. (some pretty silly ones,too!) I think I will pass on giving my opinion, predictions, preferences on what Rush's next step(s) should be, though. I think I've gone there a few times, before, in these threads. Highlight comments for me,were ...Sean and MGman (and maybe one or two other random people)
#56 - Posted 1/16/14 @5:37PM by nodrush [contact]

Ahh, mg rear's his ugly head, lets get one thing straight mg, you are not a Rush fan, crawl back under your rock. Well said toadbrother.
#55 - Posted 1/15/14 @7:15PM by drjohn99 [contact]

The impressive thing about Rush is their willingness to go out for 2 years and push the new CWA album. Compared to their contemporaries (i.e. Yes, Styx) who have become essentially "tribute bands", playing only the familiar.

I am glad Rush did CWA, which has come of their best songs - "The Garden", "Caravan", "Headlong Flight" & the title tune.
#54 - Posted 1/15/14 @1:06PM by ToadBrother [contact]

#52 My sentiments exactly. They've been in major exposure mode since Snakes And Arrows, and they've done a LOT of touring. Really, it's been pretty frequent touring since VT. At some point you're going to run out of steam. They need to take a couple of years off, come back in 2015, and I think they and their audience will have recovered.

Even U2, which I'd argue is a band more likely to get a major draw, takes pretty long breaks between tours. If they did back to back tours like Rush did with The Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours, I think you'd start seeing some lower attendance figures.
#53 - Posted 1/14/14 @11:43PM by Thelonious [contact]

"Alex could join up on a G3 thing with Satriani and Petrucci. That would be a monster night and tour that would sell out everywhere it went."

Alex is a great guitar player, but G3 is a different league. That's hard core instrumental virtuosity. The players on that tour are terrifying technicians. I don't think his sensibilities go in that direction. Who would his band be? What would he play? Where would the material come from?
#52 - Posted 1/14/14 @9:20PM by omegabrain [contact]

If anything, their fan base is in a position to attend concerts, since if they started with them 40 years ago, presumably they'd have careers and resources.

I'm thinking the issue for the slight drop off in sales is from touring frequency.

If they hit the road in late '15 or summer '16, I'd wager their audience would be 25-50% larger.
#51 - Posted 1/14/14 @7:47PM by drjohn99 [contact]

Rush is in a phase faced by many bands with an aging fan base. They are stuck between struggling to sell out 10,000 seat areas and dropping down to 2,500 seat theaters. Plus, the fans expect their top-notch production values, which require the bigger venues to pay the freight.

I think they might have one more tour left in them, maybe 2015, but not as elaborate and expensive as the CWA tour.
#50 - Posted 1/14/14 @4:59PM by Alexfan [contact]

Fifty!
#49 - Posted 1/13/14 @8:00PM by MGRushFan

toad, not that it matters, but if you actually read any of my posts, you would see your characterization of me is wrong. Among my favorite rush albums are gup, hyf, and vt, all well past the post signals era. In fact, I was one of only a handful that was not happy with the vt remix because to me the original was so perfect, even with its imperfections.

To Jupe, I think I heard of Circa a while back, but never really listened too much. The yes guys make me sad, since they seem so desperate for money that they are willing to play at what amounts to cruises around manhattan island now. Cinema was a good pre-90125 band that I guess became Yes once they realized that they had no shot as "Cinema."
#48 - Posted 1/13/14 @7:04PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

No, not really. Let's move on shall we? You(or anybody else) ever listen to a band called "Circa"? Previewed some tracks on i-tunes and they were pretty good. They're like a supergroup founded by some current and former "Yes" members.
#47 - Posted 1/13/14 @6:03PM by Jennifer

#43: Or maybe it was just REALLY hot coffee. Maybe that's the real reason why the Foo Fighters have no chance of touring with Rush - pending negligence lawsuit! :-P
#46 - Posted 1/13/14 @5:59PM by ToadBrother [contact]

MGRushFan, do your constantly moaning and groaning about the post-Signals era band make you feel better? You've said all sorts of absurd things, like Neil being a lesser player than he once was and other absurd claims about their live show these days that anyone who has actually attended one would know was complete rubbish.

We all get it, you believe the band ceased appealing to you something like thirty years ago or more. Why don't you move on? Other than some pathetic need to prop up your ego by cr--ing all over the band and its fans, I can't see what you get out of any of this.
#45 - Posted 1/13/14 @3:41PM by MGRushFan

Cool jupe. I'm sincerely glad you got that off your chest. Do you feel better now?
#44 - Posted 1/13/14 @3:36PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

too funny! mg. how many insults do you throw at people in your post #26? These were your observations on suggestions posted by folks about how Rush may tour in the future. Very insulting,condescending,mocking,cynical type statements to some innocent "suggestions" posted by some RIAB'ers. So I made some observations and then drew up some conclusions about most of your your posts...miserable and negative. Personal attack? Hardly.
#43 - Posted 1/13/14 @2:22PM by CraigJ [contact]

#36 Neil must make crappy coffee is if makes a grown man cry... :D
#42 - Posted 1/13/14 @2:22PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Agreed Joe, In my humble opinion Rush will always be a stand alone act.
#41 - Posted 1/13/14 @2:21PM by CraigJ [contact]

#39. I think you mean 70s, 80s and 00s which of course would be Hemispheres, Signals, and Snakes and Arrows. ;-)
#40 - Posted 1/13/14 @1:46PM by the kid electric [contact]

Releases in the UK usually occur on Mondays, and in the US usually occur on Tuesdays. So it's common to see albums released in the UK one day before they're released on the US. So that's probably why you see the album release date on a monday and not on a tuesday (and ASOH was mainly recorded in the UK, so we should consider the UK release date and not the US :P).
#39 - Posted 1/13/14 @1:16PM by joerock213 [contact]

They should never tour with anyone ever again ever at all. Three hours of Rush is perfect. Actually, an album is roughly an hour long, so they should do three albums in their entirety perhaps one from 70's, 80's, 90's which of course would be Hemispheres, Signals, and Test for Echo.
#38 - Posted 1/13/14 @1:07PM by omegabrain [contact]

Come on, guys.

Let's not get into a pissing contest. Let's hope for another tour someday.

I highly doubt they'll ever tour with anyone again.