Neil Peart featured in Rhythm magazine special drum solo issue

Posted on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 10:14AM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#17 - Posted 1/8/14 @4:49PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Lot of additional footage (Can't stop thinking big) from Finland, Sweden, Uk and Scotland RUSH veterans amongst the new generation digital kids, German landscape, backstage interviews me waiving the flag when locked into the groove as Geddy said (when he moves towards us all goes mental in a good way). Glad to see also Mister Brutus as well here in Finland, Neil waiting the ferry in Sweden arriving to Finland fueling cyclers smiling close. The Mr Anthem Ray also in the background of Sweden rock outdoor, CB, Howard, Liam Birt all those old school vets. To be honest Rush gig in Helsinki was one helluva night, better than this gig in my eyes and ears (not biased me), the reason: crowd response front rows (30metres from stage) the response you give the more band relaxes, hands waving, bit headbanging, bodies moving drumming in unison with the kick drum and snare. Just My 2c. btw Just Unbelievable to see people in front rows without _any_ movements until the final songs, should be checked more carefully who go arena floor level..;)..RUSH !!!!!!!!!!!! Drum solos were so 70s more and continued in 80s also, I personally always remember seeing Cozy Powell, Aldridge, Paice and more NWOBHM in the 80s loved the message they expressed from outer rock space, double bass kickdrums that was the drummer..been a wanna-be imagitive dreams when drumming always. Neigbour complained me 2007 when I had ESL on the headphones, no drums here, just up level house and my feet were doing the whole concert..with additional drinks. Had a massive over work period those times and one weekend off, with Rush and the "drums". Full respect RUSH.
#16 - Posted 1/8/14 @3:52PM by CraigJ [contact]

I thought the 3 solos on this last tour were awesome. The "main" solo isn't my favorite (I like it) but the solo on ESL remains my favorite, probably because it set my hair on fire and mad my toes explode when I first heard it in 1981. I particularly liked the Percussor solo with the electronic drum set. I thought it was well put together and I just dug the hell out of it.

On the other hand this whole guitar, bass, drums and vocal format is so outdated. Meh. Think I'll go listen to some One Direction and drink a Zima.
#15 - Posted 1/8/14 @3:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I happen to dig Neil's drumming on all fronts, solos and all.
#14 - Posted 1/8/14 @2:36PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Neil's solos annoying you cause they're uninspired and repetitive? Kind of like your posts on Neil. We get it. You....mg...don't like Neil anymore. Move on man!Can see your New Years resolution wasn't to be more positive about things, at least when it comes to Neil.
#13 - Posted 1/8/14 @2:25PM by MGRushFan

Now that Peart has figured out his solo, can I please ask him to stop doing them altogether? They're boring, too long and frankly there are a lot of drummers who blow him out of the water nowadays. Seriously, drum solos are so 1980's. Why even do them anymore?
#12 - Posted 1/8/14 @1:04PM by Surfguy [contact]

For so many years, Neil changed his drum solo for each tour up a bit...but he never improvised during the live performance. It was strictly compositional. Does anyone know when he actually started improvising during the drum solo? It seems like it only started for the last two or three tours. I think it's difficult for the common non-drummer fans to even notice when he does improvise and change it up unless they attend multiple shows per tour and fixate on it. I don't recall anyone complaining about his fixed solos from the past when he never changed it up. It's nice that he gave himself a break and decided to add improvisation. I always found him to be so much of a perfectionist that it's kind of shocking he would put himself in position to possibly make mistakes via improvisation. Most fans wouldn't even notice a mess-up during a drum solo anyway. But, even based on his own words, he seems to come up with the improv parts in practice before the show. Does that even qualify as someone who truly just improvises on the fly during a drum solo? I still think he has a huge fear of making mistakes during a live performance that reigns him in.
#11 - Posted 1/8/14 @10:57AM by hannuFIN [contact]

Typo, six separate disks, Markings just disc one, two, three and again with the roundabout..with other three, Br no markings,,solved but these are not so informative, yes I know they are small items:)
#10 - Posted 1/8/14 @10:52AM by hannuFIN [contact]

Got my CA Tour Limited Edition Delux letter today straigth to my factory address, all OK in regular 48 days, THANKS Rush ! Same question as last week with Dream Theaters Live at Luna Park delux..7 cd's/dvd/Bluray included maybe one of them ?..no markings at all, why this habit nowadays ? Sorry now found, _small_ letters rounding the disk edges, had to use magnifier with lamp..so here I go soon back to memories :) Were there any "hidden" items..I remember from older posts that no..but still had to ask.
#9 - Posted 1/8/14 @9:24AM by OotS [contact]

#5 is the best post I've read here in ages. 10 out of 10. Fantastic.
#8 - Posted 1/8/14 @2:54AM by Redcygnus [contact]

Just saw this article on Yahoo about the Cygnus space vehicle. Any Rush fans work for that company? LOL.
#7 - Posted 1/7/14 @8:49PM by sdb1001001 [contact]

#5, You are right on except I pegged the last guy as Rocky Balboa. \^_^/
#6 - Posted 1/7/14 @7:37PM by holeinone53575

One part of Neil's solo that's always amazed me is the waltz he does with his bass drum and high hat while going ape shit with his hands. As a drummer myself, I've never been able to pull that off.
#5 - Posted 1/7/14 @7:19PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

Maybe my eyes aren't so good, but... from left to right, those drummers look like:

Conan O'Brien, Hannibal Lecter, Gene Hackman, Neil Peart (*ding! ding! ding!*), Fred Armisen, Gilligan, and Jon Lord.

; )
#4 - Posted 1/7/14 @5:25PM by jaeger [contact]

Good one with #2! Great cover, simple as it is...
#3 - Posted 1/7/14 @12:42PM by zybraman [contact]

Behold the power of three!!
#2 - Posted 1/7/14 @10:45AM by Jaybird [contact]

Is that "Mount Rushmore?"
#1 - Posted 1/7/14 @10:28AM by LanceTheShred [contact]